Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins should go all in on Greinke

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pavano earns $9.0 million, and Marquis signed this past offseason for $3.0 million. If you add all of those up with the $6.5 million lost on Scott Baker this year, the Twins will have quite the chunk of change to spend on pitching for 2013.
    Yes. but I don't think they should spend it all in one place I think that Greinke has one exceptional season in the AL and a couple of above average seasons. His NL numbers are better but that is NL. Again: Only a single All Star season, only a single season in which he got votes for Cy Young (yes he won it that season.) But just a season. He is not Santana or Sabathia or Pedro. Not even close. And he will get CJ Wilson money. Someone will give him a 7 year 150 mil contract, and I hope it's not the Twins. (Pretty sure they will not be actually and thankfully.)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    I like Grienke, and the Twins also like Grienke. If they were one good pitcher away, like they were in 2007-2010, I'd say go for it. But they're not that close to competing.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Greinke is getting 5 years minimum ($90 minimum) and probably 6 years and $110 million. And that's crazy. The Twins are more likely to go after a 2 or 3 year deal, as well they probably should.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Grienke will get paid a lot of money. Both fangraphs and MLBtraderumors have had posts up pointing to Cain's extension as starting points for both Hamels and Grienke. I don't think Grienke gets quite that much but it'll be close. Anibal Sanchez is another pitcher I'd like the Twins to go after. I think he'll be a bit cheaper than Grienke.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    If you never pay market rates (salary or years), you never get great players. Pretty simple rule of supply and demand, really. I don't care which very good to great pitcher it is, but I'd like one of them signed here. I don't think, for one minute, that Ryan will do it though. They'll continue on the Pavano/Marquis track, imo. So, I'm setting my expectatons super, super, super low for next offseason.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Liriano makes $5.5 million, Pavano earns $9.0 million, and Marquis signed this past offseason for $3.0 million. If you add all of those up with the $6.5 million lost on Scott Baker this year, the Twins will have quite the chunk of change to spend on pitching for 2013."

You can also add $4.75 from Capps and with that the Twins have just over 28 million to spend. I really only see two major holes on the roster at 3B and SP. Greinke and A. Sanchez are the most attractive options available at SP and no potential free agents at 3B look like an upgrade (except Polanco who has a mutual option). I think going after a star pitcher makes a lot of sense for the Twins and they need to sign someone to get the fans excited for next season. The Twins have a lot of money coming off the books in 2013 (Morneau/14mil+Nishioka/3mil+Carroll/3.75m=$20.75mil) too so overspending now isn't terrible, especially if it's a 3-4 year contract.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 05-21-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I would prefer the Twins go big on Grienke and sign a modest FA for the back of the rotation then split the money more evenly on 2 starters with less ability, just this once. Why? Because I think the Twins can actually sign Grienke, who has elite ability, which won't happen too often. I think he'd look at the Twins and see a lot of things that would make it an attractive place to play for him (ballpark, market, team concepts, etc.) and I suspect that will be more important to him than anything else.

A rotation of Grienke, Gibson, Diamond, Blackburn, and Free Agent X with Hendricks/Walters/Swarzak/Duensing as the alternatives for if/when someone fails would be a nice base to work from.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I really only see two major holes on the roster at 3B and SP.
    So the Twins are a SP and a third baseman away from being WS champions in 2013? Competing for the division? or for getting to .500?

As is, the Twins are about 3-4 SPs away, 2-3 pen arms away and 4-5 position players (RF, 2B, 3B, 1B, DH for starters) away from having an elite team and about half as much for having a competitive team. Doumit is gone after next season.

It is not just an arm and a bat that would turn this team around...
    -----

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would argue that Ryan Dempster and Randy Wolf are the two most likely for the Twins to sign, and neither will garner more than 3 years (likely 2). They could probably get both for about $23 million a year for two years.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    So the Twins are a SP and a third baseman away from being WS champions in 2013? Competing for the division? or for getting to .500?

As is, the Twins are about 3-4 SPs away, 2-3 pen arms away and 4-5 position players (RF, 2B, 3B, 1B, DH for starters) away from having an elite team and about half as much for having a competitive team. Doumit is gone after next season.

It is not just an arm and a bat that would turn this team around...

This is my point - signing Grienke would be one of those "put you over the top" moves that the Twins were so hesitant to make while they were a very good team. It would have made a lot of sense a couple years ago. But the Twins need to commit to rebuilding now, and handing out big contracts at this point would be a mistake.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Unless people think the Twins will be able to win without an ace, the only way to get one is by trade or free agency and the Twins don't have a whole lot to trade any longer. The Twins only drafted and developed a true ace two times in their history, and none since Frank Viola. Next year may not be the ideal time to spend on an ace as the team is still a couple years away, but front end starters are becoming more and more rare on the free agent market as teams are becoming wiser about extending young arms. They could pass and hope to get a big arm in 2014, but hoping Tim Lincicum, Josh Johnson or Johan Santana all make it to free agency and are still healthy may be more of a long shot.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,192 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Doumit is gone after next season.
    A small point: Doumit is signed only through this season, according to both Cot's Contracts and baseball-reference.com

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If you never pay market rates (salary or years), you never get great players. Pretty simple rule of supply and demand, really. I don't care which very good to great pitcher it is, but I'd like one of them signed here. I don't think, for one minute, that Ryan will do it though. They'll continue on the Pavano/Marquis track, imo. So, I'm setting my expectatons super, super, super low for next offseason.
    I wish I did not agree. We need to roll the dice and overpay. I hope they do this for Greinke or another. He is 28. I think it might be worth it.

If you never pay market rates (salary or years), you never get great players. Pretty simple rule of supply and demand, really. I don't care which very good to great pitcher it is, but I'd like one of them signed here.
    The Twins have no rotation to speak of. It would be a much better value for them to try to pick up several average starters than one great one. Otherwise it will be just like this year 4/5 days.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    You have to pay market rates for average pitchers too. Will any be available? Will they sign two of them? That was really the point of the post.
    Lighten up Francis....

This would be a horrible use of money. Even if he adds 10 wins, that probably isn't enough to get this team to the playoffs. The Twins should not be inking any massive, multi-year contracts until they're actually in a position to compete, i.e. hopefully when some of their prospects in the lower leagues have developed.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    The Twins have a few talented arms in the minors that can be up next year or by at least 2014. Guys like Benson, Wimmers, Hendricks, possibly Appel and we have Diamond. All of these guys will cost the Twins less than a million dollars for at least the first three years of service. Grienke (18M), Benson (600K) and Diamond (600K) as a top 3 and maybe Hendricks, Wimmers or Appel can take the last two spots. If the Twins want a veteran go and get an inexpensive veteran that can be a clubhouse leader as Grienke has been known to be more of a recluse. Get a top end starter, because the depth coming up is at best filled with one number 2 starter and a bunch of 3's, 4's and 5's. An investment in a long-term solution at 3B should be explored as well, because Sano will be up in 2014 and he will not be at 3B for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    The Twins have a few talented arms in the minors that can be up next year or by at least 2014. Guys like Benson, Wimmers, Hendricks, possibly Appel and we have Diamond. All of these guys will cost the Twins less than a million dollars for at least the first three years of service. Grienke (18M), Benson (600K) and Diamond (600K) as a top 3 and maybe Hendricks, Wimmers or Appel can take the last two spots. If the Twins want a veteran go and get an inexpensive veteran that can be a clubhouse leader as Grienke has been known to be more of a recluse. Get a top end starter, because the depth coming up is at best filled with one number 2 starter and a bunch of 3's, 4's and 5's. An investment in a long-term solution at 3B should be explored as well, because Sano will be up in 2014 and he will not be at 3B for long.
    Benson is an outfielder.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf eyes View Post
    Benson is an outfielder.
    I think he means Gibson. Who is actually doing pretty well with his rehab. I think that the Twins will probably need a couple more younger arms for next season or 2014, in addition to Gibson, Wimmers, Hendriks, Hermsen and they can get at least one by trading Span who by 2014 will probably not be in the plans, this season.
    -----

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast