Thread: Gibson

Gibson

Is he expected to pitch at all this year?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes. July-August timeframe; likely a rehab with either Forth Myers or GCL Twins
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I think you can expect more from him than that.....if he's healthy of course.....as he's on the same timetable as SStrasburg & he did AA/AAA starts before getting MLB starts.
    He will need to be added to 40 man roster this winter, so they may as well recall him in Sept for a free look.
    Assume he'll also get som AFL time.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    I think you can expect more from him than that.....if he's healthy of course.....as he's on the same timetable as SStrasburg & he did AA/AAA starts before getting MLB starts.
    He will need to be added to 40 man roster this winter, so they may as well recall him in Sept for a free look.
    Assume he'll also get som AFL time.
    You are making a comparison between two different kinds of animal. Strasburg had a dazzling and overpowering debut in MLB the 2 months prior to tearing his UCL. Gibson was very up and down at AAA leading up to his UCL tear. Who knows if Gibson will ever be able to pitch at the MLB level after the his TJ surgery? Gibson unlike Strasburg hasn't proven anything at the Big League level. I am hoping for the best, but he certainly won't pitch up here this year and I am not counting on him being an answer to our pitching questions next year. I am not knockin Gibson's talent, but Strasburg is easily Gibson's superior. This being said, I hope Gibson makes a full recovery and helps the Twins a little in 2013 and a lot in 2014.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know in talking to Kyle that he uses Strasburg's timeline as his goal timeline. I also know that to this point, it's been going really well. I think he's going to be a guest on the podcast tomorrow night, so we'll be sure to ask him. He'll throw off the mound for the first time in less than two weeks. I'd think maybe a couple of innings in Extended Spring/GCL... then maybe a couple of starts at Ft. Myers, and at that point just see how he's doing.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I know in talking to Kyle that he uses Strasburg's timeline as his goal timeline. I also know that to this point, it's been going really well. I think he's going to be a guest on the podcast tomorrow night, so we'll be sure to ask him. He'll throw off the mound for the first time in less than two weeks. I'd think maybe a couple of innings in Extended Spring/GCL... then maybe a couple of starts at Ft. Myers, and at that point just see how he's doing.
    Seth, in your estimation - when can you see Gibson making his MLB debut? My thought is opening day at the very, very earliest next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    You are making a comparison between two different kinds of animal. Strasburg had a dazzling and overpowering debut in MLB the 2 months prior to tearing his UCL. Gibson was very up and down at AAA leading up to his UCL tear. Who knows if Gibson will ever be able to pitch at the MLB level after the his TJ surgery? Gibson unlike Strasburg hasn't proven anything at the Big League level. I am hoping for the best, but he certainly won't pitch up here this year and I am not counting on him being an answer to our pitching questions next year. I am not knockin Gibson's talent, but Strasburg is easily Gibson's superior. This being said, I hope Gibson makes a full recovery and helps the Twins a little in 2013 and a lot in 2014.
    You are right....they are different animals but they are on the same timeline. Gibson could easily get a Sept recall if he has a solid July/Aug rehab. Gibby was pretty good in AAA till a month before the diagnosis.....dont know if that what when the tear occurred. I hold to a Sept debut....check back & call me on it.

A few tweets from his twitter account, @kgib44:

May 15:
    Back to 120' and doing flat ground, and 3 weeks away from 1st bullpen!
    May 20:
    135' tom and 2 weeks away from bullpens...closer and closer to that 1st 15 pitch pen! get to spin sliders at the end of this week i think!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Who knows about Gibson, he might be worst than Liriano.

Gibson will start his rehab with an inning for GCL on July 10.
    I am still hoping that he will make his MLB debut (not necesarily as a starter) in Sept.....if July/Aug goes well.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll pitch. Whether it is in the big leagues this year or not is inconsequential. Either way, he'll be added to the 40 man roster after the season and come to spring training with a chance. Part of me hopes he doesn't come to the big leagues this year because expectations from some fans then next spring will be far too high.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 769 Times in 422 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He'll pitch. Whether it is in the big leagues this year or not is inconsequential. Either way, he'll be added to the 40 man roster after the season and come to spring training with a chance. Part of me hopes he doesn't come to the big leagues this year because expectations from some fans then next spring will be far too high.
    Agreed. Coming off TJ, I'd rather see the kid stay in the minors and face the inevitable post-TJ surgery woes away from pitching-starved Minnesota fans. Given JR's track record, he'll probably be brought along slowly.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point its difficult to predict. He might see an inning as a Sept call-up if he has a nice season and the Twins are throwing the kids out there. I'd bet against it and say he comes up in May-June of next year though. I'm as pumped about him as any (probably still higher on him than many), but he had a major surgery and hoping he can come up and pitch with the Twins is a little much at this point.

This Sept is a free look for MN (no options used) since they need to add him to 40 man.
    Gibson has said Juy will include about 16/17 IP in GCL & then promotion in AUG.....another 20-30IP probably.
    I would like to see him in MN ....not as a starter per se....but to get the MLB debut jitters out of way & get another 15-20IP out of pen/midde relief/spot start. We'll see I guess.
    Assume he will go to AFL then for another 30IP.
    With 75 or so IP this yr....he could be good to go next yr, even if they start him in ROC for a month or 2 (Twins way of course).

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Gibson is still a prospect. Hoping for him to join the Twins this year isn't realistic. I'd rather him stay in the minors and properly rehab his arm than come up with the Twins just so he can get a taste. You have to think about whats best for his development, and that is going to be throwing every 5th day and getting back into shape. There is no rush for him to come up. If he does have a solid season, maybe they will bring him up in September and let him throw a few innings, but I'm not holding me breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    You are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Gibson is still a prospect. Hoping for him to join the Twins this year isn't realistic. I'd rather him stay in the minors and properly rehab his arm than come up with the Twins just so he can get a taste. You have to think about whats best for his development, and that is going to be throwing every 5th day and getting back into shape. There is no rush for him to come up. If he does have a solid season, maybe they will bring him up in September and let him throw a few innings, but I'm not holding me breath.
    You got me wrong.....He should stay in minors untill the minor league season is over & THEN get a Sept recall just to get him another 20/25 innings. Im not even saying he should start but just get an extra month of rehab in the majors rather than ending the season.