Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Target Field's black batter's eye

Post Target Field's black batter's eye

I love our ballpark until I take a look at our ugly batter's eye. It looks like someone rolled a plywood wall (the kind you practice hitting tennis balls against) with black paint. I understand that this is more complicated (some kind of honeycomb material) and that the Twins have spent a couple of million dollars on what we have right now. How about putting back the trees and if that is not a possibility putting some silhousette trees on it or even a TC logo? Truly Target Field looks like a beautiful person with a black eye. I heard that the Twins were looking at may be a couple of trees on the edges of it to soften the look. What do you think? May be Reusse wasn't wrong--bats are made from wood and where does wood come from?

The removal of those trees still makes me so angry. What the heck is the difference between what Target Field had in 2010 and Coors Field?

coorsfield2.jpg

Wow, those hitters are at a real disadvantage at COORS FIELD, aren't they?

Baseballs are white. There is validity to the idea that you need to avoid having fans or other light colored objects in the batter's line of sight towards a pitched baseball. Last time I checked, evergreens are dark green. The M & M boys complained that waving branches might have distracted them, but Wrigley and Comerica have ivy on the walls, and many ballparks have scoreboards near centerfield that could conceivably distract hitters. Is everything in the whole park supposed to be one dark color?

Aside from the fact that it sounded lame for Twins hitters to complain about it, I hate that we removed one of the distinguishing features of our ballpark. Yes, Target Field is often considered one of the Top 10 ballparks in MLB, but other than the Minny and Paul sign, I worry that it will just get lumped into all of the other ballparks since Camden that have used brick and rock facings and an open concourse design. Target Field is hindered by the tight space of the lot size anyway, but at least the trees were a nice "Minnesotan" feature to give it some character. The black wall is hideous.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I love the Pirates' batter's eye. Just google it. That would be very nice.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I loved the trees. I thought that there were at least a few other parks that had them. Ours were uniquely Minnesotan. I agree that our current batter's eye is an eyesore. Although it is better this year than last. Last year it was hideous. There has to be a better solution.

I can't stand that black wall out in center...they put some flowers or something there this year, but you can only see them if you random the upper deck. They need to improve that this coming off-season, put a giant logo there, or better yet, bring back the baggie and put it there!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    The M & M boys complained that waving branches might have distracted them, .
    Implying that they are the list is pretty dishonest. I actually don't remember Mauer being part of it at all, but it's possible. But I definitely remember comments by Cuddyer as well, and more than one opposing player, so it wasn't (just) them.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    I love the Pirates' batter's eye. Just google it. That would be very nice.
    Here's a picture

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 157 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHockey View Post
    Truly Target Field looks like a beautiful person with a black eye.
    I love this description. And I feel the same way everytime I look out there. It makes me crabby.

Liked 1,186 Times in 693 Posts
    Thanks for posting the pic, John.

My suggestion to Major League Baseball: Make improving that eye sore (or sore eye?) a condition of awarding the All Star game to TF.

Liked 1,186 Times in 693 Posts
    Oh, and my recollection is that it was Cuddyer who was the lead spokesman on this issue (and called it a safety hazard) but in all honesty, even at the time I felt like he was just "carrying water" as the de facto team leader.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Oh, and my recollection is that it was Cuddyer who was the lead spokesman on this issue (and called it a safety hazard) but in all honesty, even at the time I felt like he was just "carrying water" as the de facto team leader.
    Also working from memory, I recall a game in the middle-late part of the year where it was a late-afternoon start (probably 3:00) where the shadows start to come over the field in some tough ways, and over and over hitters from both teams were walking back to the dugout, shaking their heads, muttering to themselves, and often saying things to the on-deck guys and people in the dugout. After that game there was a lot of talk about the glare from the Minny and Paul sign as well as the shadows and movement of the trees where it was very hard to pick up the ball. And yes, it was to the level of "that's not safe." And it was both sides. Right after that is when I remember the discussion of the backdrop kicked into high gear. Again...that's my memory of it, so it's always possible there's some slippage there!

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    The removal of those trees still makes me so angry.
    I agree it was a significant loss, and I dislike how the media (radio in particular) dismisses it as a issue only the lowliest of fans get worked up about, yet bring up the issue themselves almost weekly.

Cuddyer was supposedly the biggest instigator according to the local media due to being afraid of the shadows, as ludicrous as that sounds:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...114860269.html

Dave St. Peter would go on the radio and claim opposing teams complained as much as the hometown roster, but when interviewed two of the biggest bomb droppers at Target Field, Thome and Batista, both said they never noticed them. Bautista even gave a slight jab when asked how he likes them removed when he hit several bombs in 2011 against us at home.

Personally, while I think it takes away some of the charm of the ballpark (and there are plenty other ballparks with stuff in their batters eye), the bigger issue is the raising of the batters eye. Center Field there right across from the State Fair stand used to be one of my favorite places to stand and watch the game. Now with the eye raised I can barley see over it, and I'm 6'3"!

It was fun to see TC Bear playing around in the trees (there is a door he could pop out of) down there throwing free shirts to kids or waving. And heck the trees just looked nice. But due to Cuddy and others complaining they are gone, never to return.

And now so is Cuddy.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Oh, and my recollection is that it was Cuddyer who was the lead spokesman on this issue (and called it a safety hazard)
    Thats correct, he said a lot of weird things around this time.

Like saying how the average joe just doesn't know what its like to have to play baseball everyday.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/96499719.html

Another time he said how much harder he has it than a first basemen because he has to run out to right field every inning rather than only first base.

But shadows from trees - those are what truly frightened the man.