Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Trade partners

  1. #1
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    2,508
    Like
    80
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    25

    Trade partners

    I don't usually speculate about trades, but there are times when I see a match of needs and excess. The Angels have Morales and Pujols plus a full outfield, even with Vernon Wells being sidelined (big loss). Their rotation is solid, but their bullpen lacks both talent and depth. The Twins have too many bullpen arms and no one in their rotation. The Angels have an excess RH power hitter (Trumbo). I think something could be done that would help LA-
    Anaheim this year--something like Trumbo and their most projectable AAA pitcher for one or two bullpen arms (Duensing and Burton/Capps) and maybe Benson, depending on how good a projected starter the Angels would give up.

  2. #2
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,917
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Span - matches up very well with Texas. they need a CF and a leadoff hitter. they have a lot of pitching prospects.

    Morneau, if he can be healthy for the next 6-7 weeks - fits well in Texas or Toronto.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Teams really don't place much value on relief pitchers and getting an average position player for one is generally highway robbery. Two bullpen arms for Trumbo OR a AAA starter seems a lot more reasonable, but the Angels might be too hesitant to take it. You'd also have to bank on the Angels thinking that they have a chance for a wild card spot. I also wouldn't trade Benson because he isn't much of a bargaining chip since he's flat out sucked in the minors this season.

  4. #4
    Take a look at Boston's injury report for tonight's game.
    http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=320522101
    Wonder if there are any possibilities there?
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

  5. #5
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

    Morneau, if he can be healthy for the next 6-7 weeks - fits well in Texas or Toronto.
    The Twins are going to have to eat some of his contract if they plan on getting a meritable return. I almost think it's better to keep Morneau because of what he's done in the past and the potential he still has.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,166
    Like
    97
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Span - matches up very well with Texas. they need a CF and a leadoff hitter. they have a lot of pitching prospects.
    Span would match up well with the Dodgers, too. They could put him in LF and let him leadoff. Frankly, a lot of teams could use Span.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Double-A SirLoin's Avatar
    Posts
    102
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    6
    I would absolutely see what Anaheim would want for Trumbo and a Garrett Richards. To make such a trade happen, Span should definitely be part of the equation. Pavano could be offered as a back of rotation innings-eater, assuming he stays healthy. Then I'd offer at least one of our top end prospects - Benson or Hicks. Then in the off season, sign a couple of the arms discussed in the Zach Greinke discussion from the last couple days, and re-sign Ryan Doumit and suddenly you've filled quite a few holes. Still some remain of course, but I think these moves would result in an instant improvement going into next season.

  8. #8
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I want to deal with Arizona, they have several great arms in the minors (not getting Bauer, but the next two are still better than any Twins' prospect). Atlanta, could they use a 1B? Agree with the above, Span fits almost any team at this point....
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Posts
    1,235
    Like
    8
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I want to deal with Arizona, they have several great arms in the minors (not getting Bauer, but the next two are still better than any Twins' prospect). Atlanta, could they use a 1B? Agree with the above, Span fits almost any team at this point....
    Atlanta wouldn't want a 1B. They seem to have a good future with Freeman.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    I'm not so sure why everyone is so convinced that the Angels will just give up Trumbo for nothing, or trade him at all. They can simply have him play RF moving forward and filling in at 3B from time to time if he can improve.

    They certainly aren't going to give him up for two relief pitchers and most likely the Twins would have to part with at least one top prospect to even be in the conversation, and if that is the case then it really makes no sense for the Twins to explore.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Ooops, for some reason I forgot about Freeman....not sure how that happened!
    Lighten up Francis....

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Trumbo is having a fantastic year, but even last season when he finished 2nd in ROY voting he had an OBP of .291. Even though he was a slugger all through out his minor league career his minor league OBP was only .330. I like the guy but I think he may turn out to be frustratingly inconisistant over the course of his career as he does not seem to have the ability to draw walks like the great sluggers do.

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Trumbo is having a fantastic year, but even last season when he finished 2nd in ROY voting he had an OBP of .291. Even though he was a slugger all through out his minor league career his minor league OBP was only .330. I like the guy but I think he may turn out to be frustratingly inconisistant over the course of his career as he does not seem to have the ability to draw walks like the great sluggers do.
    He has his warts no doubt, but he has a ton of raw power, and though he strikes out a lot, its not at a Mark Reynolds or Adam Dunn level. The lack of walks is concerning, but as long as he can keep his SO's between 100-130 his 30+ HR power makes him a pretty solid choice, in 2010 he was able to draw 58 walks in the minors, so basically he has the potential to be a poor mans Cecil Fielder, with less strike outs, a little less power, but a little higher batting average and versatility defensively.

  14. #14
    Mark Trumbo is 26 years old and has 30-HR power potential. The Angels are FLOODED with OF talent, so why would they give away a guy who can absolutely mash and play a bit of 3B, corner OF, 1B, and DH? They already have speedy OF's in Trout and Bourjos.

    I don't question that Trumbo or Morales may be traded someday, but I don't think Span is nearly enough. And the prospects we would offer don't hold a candle to guys already in their organization.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Mark Trumbo is 26 years old and has 30-HR power potential. The Angels are FLOODED with OF talent, so why would they give away a guy who can absolutely mash and play a bit of 3B, corner OF, 1B, and DH? They already have speedy OF's in Trout and Bourjos.

    I don't question that Trumbo or Morales may be traded someday, but I don't think Span is nearly enough. And the prospects we would offer don't hold a candle to guys already in their organization.
    The Angels would have zero need or desire for Span IMO.

    You know who could probably get you Trumbo straight up? Ramos. But we had to trade him for a proven all-star, mediocre, closer a couple years ago.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    He has his warts no doubt, but he has a ton of raw power, and though he strikes out a lot, its not at a Mark Reynolds or Adam Dunn level. The lack of walks is concerning, but as long as he can keep his SO's between 100-130 his 30+ HR power makes him a pretty solid choice, in 2010 he was able to draw 58 walks in the minors, so basically he has the potential to be a poor mans Cecil Fielder, with less strike outs, a little less power, but a little higher batting average and versatility defensively.
    Wow, "poor man's Cecil Fielder?" You are way undervaluing Trumbo. If you can you hit .270 (or even .250). with 30 HR power and 100-125 K's per season (as was his M.O. in both AAA and the majors), that makes you Mark Texiera. Heck, Ryan Howard strikes out 150-200 times a year, and he's a $100 million player.

  17. #17
    Duomit signed a one-year deal with the Twins because he saw the opportunity to showcase himself, not play alot of catcher, get some time in as DH 0a safe position) and maybe some outfield and first base so he can cash in with a multi-year deal that may be significantly more than he deserves or the Twins would be willing to pay. So, at some point, he may prove to be a more valuable trading chip and the approach with resigning (avoiding arbitration). Twins fans have to feel pretty up right now with the potential of Drew Butera throwing from the mound, and catching...possibly in the same inning.

    Keep remembering, people. Players want to play and sign with teams that have the potential to win. So, the Twins are doomed to their minor league system, trading what chips they have for other chips people may not want, and hopefully the season ticket base remains.....

  18. #18
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,611
    Like
    32
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Wow, "poor man's Cecil Fielder?" You are way undervaluing Trumbo. If you can you hit .270 (or even .250). with 30 HR power and 100-125 K's per season (as was his M.O. in both AAA and the majors), that makes you Mark Texiera. Heck, Ryan Howard strikes out 150-200 times a year, and he's a $100 million player.
    Mark Texiera has a lifetime .370 OBP and a lifetime OPS of .898.
    Howard averaged 50 HR a year the 4 years prior to his contract extension.

    Trumbo has a long ways to go to match either one of them.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    26 isn't exactly young....
    Lighten up Francis....

  20. #20
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,011
    Like
    1,150
    Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Trumbo is starting now... He isn't depth... It's the guys who are playing less because Trumbo is playing who are excess.

    If the Angels decide to move Trumbo. He would bring a lot more then bullpen arms. He could packaged for someone like Tulowitski.

    For example... I'm not saying the Rockies would move Tulo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.