Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cole DeVries promoted to the Twins!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cole DeVries promoted to the Twins!

According to the official Twins Twitter feed:

#Twins designate RHP Jason Marquis for assignment and will select the contract of RHP Cole DeVries from AAA Rochester for tonight's game.

Very exciting for the Eden Prairie native and former Gopher who signed as a free agent after the 2006 season! Good for him!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Always good to see someone make it to the bigs. He deserved it. And, heck, if Jamie Moyer can have sucess, Cole DeVries can (and he is tossing 10mph faster than Moyer)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Well, here's hoping he keeps the Diamond/Walters thing going.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    nothing against devries but a mistake Devries will get hammered at MLB level. He is a solid AAA pitcher but he will get hammered at MLB level mark my words.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Despite some lucky numbers, I think Diamond is here to stay. I'm not so convinced about Walters. And now I'm afraid the Twins are reaching to the well too many times.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He might, but he's 27 and has had success in AAA. The team is rebuilding and they have to make decisions on a lot of players, DeVries is one of them. So is Slama. So is Manship.

I don't think I've ever had DeVries in a top 50, so my expectations are definitely not high. I don't expect greatness, but no need to be upset about this decision.

Hendriks need to eat some AAA innings and they need to do what is best for him long-term.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    So what is Rochester's rotation right now?

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since Cole is my adopt-a-prospect, I feel obligated to contribute here. To start, I might as well self-promote..... http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?1003-Cole-DeVries

I'm assuming that he'll be inserted into the rotation. However, as I've followed him throughout his minor league career, I contend that he projects as a middle relief pitcher in the Matt Guerrier mold. In fact, their minor league stats aren't all that different and I know Guerrier did mix in some starts earlier in his career. Needless to say, at 27, he deserves a shot for the Twins to see what they have in him, and I think down the road he'd be a good fit in the bullpen. He won't dominate by any means, but I think he could be a solid bullpen arm.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    So what is Rochester's rotation right now?
    Haha, good lord who knows? Let's see: Hendriks, Manship, French, Thompson . . . .and maybe they will promote Bromberg or Hirshfeld?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I'd have promoted a bullpen guy and moved someone up to the rotation. At least DeVries is stretched out.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    Hard to imagine it being a very long-term solution but I'll be rooting for the former Gopher!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    nothing against devries but a mistake Devries will get hammered at MLB level. He is a solid AAA pitcher but he will get hammered at MLB level mark my words.
    I have that feeling too. He seems to be a pretty smart pitcher with good comand but his stuff just isn't that good. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a good debut with the adrenaline pumping and all that but otherwise I don't think he'll last too long. Best of luck to him though, its always fun to cheer for a local player, now the Twins will have three Minnesota natives on the team as they did when Neshek was around.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally I was hopeing Slama would get called up. We'll see what DeVries can do. Can't be any worse then what he's replacing.
    I bent my wookie...

Should be interesting. More than anything, we need guys who throw strikes and are not overwhelmed by the big leagues. At 27, they need to see what they have in Mr. DeVries.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Haha, good lord who knows? Let's see: Hendriks, Manship, French, Thompson . . . .and maybe they will promote Bromberg or Hirshfeld?

I think they were stretching out Maloney to start a few days back when he pitched 3 innings. Should be: Hendricks, Manship, Maloney, French, and Thompson.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maloney has had a lot of success at Triple A as a starter. By midseason, I expect that he'll be in the Twins starting rotation and I think he'll put up better numbers than at least one of Walters and Diamond.

Just a Comment

Coles numbers look pretty pedestrian for Triple A. I thought Slama deserved the first shot, or Manship since he was a starter and has been up before.

Glad to see Cole promoted. We have nothing to lose, if he can beat an 8+ ERA he will be an improvement so the bar is set very low.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    Glad to see Cole promoted. We have nothing to lose, if he can beat an 8+ ERA he will be an improvement so the bar is set very low.
    Exactly, just dont lose the game in the 2nd inning like Marquis. All we need is 5-6 innings and 4-5 runs out of him to give us a chance.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    We might have the worst major league rotation baseball has seen in a very long time.

Good for DeVries though, I hope he has some success, there is nothing wrong with guys like Diamond, Walters and DeVries getting a shot, the problem is that when those three make up 60% of your current starting rotation!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast