Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Marquis Out. Who Should Replace Him?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Marquis Out. Who Should Replace Him?

I agree that Slama should be called up, but I don't think DeVries should be put into the rotation. In my mind, there are 4 other pitchers that would go before him: Swarzak, Hendriks, Duensing and even Liriano. Liriano going back into the rotation right now probably won't be much better than Marquis was, but at least he has demonstrated that he has potential to be much better, while DeVries is completely untested.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see DeVries as building for the future; there is no upside. If this season is a total wash, then why not put Duensing back in the rotation? Help him figure out what his problem is against righties (which has developed over the last couple of years) and, if that can be accomplished (which will take giving him innings) you might have a decent back-of-rotation starter for a few years.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be for either Slama or DeVries coming up. Neither is about 'upside,' but both are long-time org guys who 1.) deserve a shot, and 2.) in a losing season, why not see what they've got. DeVries is two years younger than Slama.

Slama - deserves it, should have given more opportunities over past two years. I have no problem with him coming up.

DeVries - he's pitched well this year. When Walters/Diamond were promoted, DeVries was pitching equally well. He had a bad start and a half after that that dropped his ERA. On Saturday night, he threw 8 shutout innings and really dominated. He went out for the ninth and ended up getting charged for 4 runs in that inning.

Hendriks -certainly the highest upside, but best for him is to be allowed to develop more.

Oliveros - 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings between NB and ROCH.
    Guerra - one bad outing all year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its too bad with everything he has gone through this spring. Maybe going to Rochester to get his head on straight and being able to be near his family will do him some good. Or maybe he'll ride off into the sunset. Good luck to him whatever his choice.

I think Marquis was supposed to be nothing more than a placeholder for this year. I expected Marquis to be a .500 pitcher while pitching a lot of innings. Unfortunately for the Twins, Marquis forced their hand and now they have to make a move.

Seth, why is Slama tagged as a relief pitcher? It seems to me Slama's control issues would be easier to deal with or hide as a starting pitcher.

Anyway, I have to go with bringing up Slama. I think you're right, Seth, Slama deserves a look.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I Have no problem with Slama either....Leave Hendriks in AAA for now. Either give DeVries a shot or just let Swarzak get a few starts until Hendriks is ready to come back up. My question still is IF Pavano gets skipped/pushed back on Thursday what happens??? Gardy said the spot start would come from "the clubhouse" I believe which to me means Swarzak/Liriano/Duensing. If that's the case just let Cisco take the ball for one start. He's only been in the pen two weeks so his stamina should not be a problem.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about Waldrop? He is out of options, I believe. He is on rehab, after which he will have to be recalled. There are too many deserving relief pitchers and no real good starting options. I certainly think that Slama's numbers deserve a shot. Guerra and Oliveros have earned their way to Rochester and probably to Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    Seth, why is Slama tagged as a relief pitcher? It seems to me Slama's control issues would be easier to deal with or hide as a starting pitcher.
    I realize my name is not Seth, but Slama has basically two pitches: a fastball and a slurve. Typically you want a starter to have about 4 pitches.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Manship is transitioning back into a Starter and is still on the 40 man roster. Starting tonight against Gwinnett and has gone 4 Innings so far with 2 hits, 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. He's got some experience at the MLB level, it'd be worth a shot to see what he has left.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This from LaVelle's just published blog:

The Twins are expected to announce on Tuesday who will replace Marquis in the rotation. [...] Liam Hendriks, , is a candidate. But righthander and former Gopher Cole DeVries has also emerged as a possibility. [...].
    Whoever is called up is expected to start on Thursday against the White Sox in Chicago.
    So looks like they are bringing a starter up (unless that is LaVelle's opinion) and if that is the case, I hope it is DeVries. Hendriks needs some time in AAA to build his confidence up.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I did guess that he'd be the worst pitcher in baseball. And so did everyone else in my fantasy simulation leagues. He was the only starter with a for-sure job who was not chosen in my three leagues he was eligible (drafts occurring prior to his daughter's accident). And that's with Target Field being viewed as a pitcher's park. So at least forty-some of us all knew it. It doesn't surprise me that Terry Ryan didn't.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkucko View Post
    Manship is transitioning back into a Starter and is still on the 40 man roster. Starting tonight against Gwinnett and has gone 4 Innings so far with 2 hits, 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. He's got some experience at the MLB level, it'd be worth a shot to see what he has left.
    He pitched so far 6 innings of shut out baseball. And he has pitched well all year. But he is just transitioning to stater right now, and the Twins need somebody right now. I think the most passable solution is to give some starts to Swarzak, and promote one of the relievers that are doing well (Slama is the most obvious). Longer term, promote Hendricks or Manship, if he continues to do well.

Jerald Clark, Tony Batista, Jason Marquis, I want to add Craig Monroe because he's was added with Ryan's rec...almost every free agent Ryan has had anything to do with has been bottom of the heap. Or if not, then expected to do far more than capable of (Carroll, e.g)

Willingham, I guess, sorry.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Too bad, I'd like Swarzak to start, and Slama to come up...actually, I'd like 12 pitchers, but that apparently is not possible.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    ???? Roy Oswalt?????
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the time to get Slama up is now. I'd slide Swarzak into the starting rotation until Hendriks is ready.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Too bad, I'd like Swarzak to start, and Slama to come up...actually, I'd like 12 pitchers, but that apparently is not possible.
    They got 12 Ps now. When Blackburn was DL'd Revere came up
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

It's a good thing the Twins ran Kevin Slowey out of town. He's not doing great but he would have been a better option than Marquis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast