Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 2012 MLB Mock Draft picks 1-10

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    100
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    2012 MLB Mock Draft picks 1-10

    With the MLB draft coming up I thought I would do a top 10 mock draft and see what people think.

    1. Houston Astros- Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
    2. Minnesota Twins- Mark Appel SP Stanford
    3. Seattle Mariners- Mike Zunino C Florida
    4. Baltimore Orioles- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
    5. Kansas City Royals- Kevin Gausman SP LSU
    6. Chicago Cubs- Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
    7. San Diego Padres- Lucas Giolito SP HS California
    8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Marcus Stroman SP Duke
    9. Florida Marlins- Max Fried SP HS California
    10. Colorado Rockies- Richie Shaffer 3b Clemson

    Now for Twins analysis; There are 6 guys that are plausible in my mind with Buxton, Appel, Zunino, Zimmer, Gausman, and Giolito. However, I don't think Giolito will be the pick because of his injury and everything that we have heard Gausman is a step behind Appel and Zimmer for pitchers. So I believe it comes down to Buxton, Appel, Zunino, and Zimmer. My guess is it will come down to Buxton and Appel and the Twins will take whoever Houston doesn't take. That is of course if Houston doesn't take one of the other top 6 because this class is weak and no clear cut number 1 so the pick will be anyone. I am really hoping for Appel, but in my mind if he is there the Twins will take Buxton as he is the toolsy outfielder that the Twins love. He has a big upside, but he also has substantial risk. I think Appel or Zimmer are more of a sure thing even though neither is likely a top of the rotation starter. The bottom line is the Twins picked the wrong year to have the number 2 pick in the draft as if it was either the last 3 years they would have gotten a stud and next year looks alot better, but this class is not good. If you want true upside the pick should be Buxton who has a chance to be in the Justin Upton mold, but also a high chance he doesn't reach that potential. I will have another one next week and see if there any changes.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    The bottom line is the Twins picked the wrong year to have the number 2 pick in the draft as if it was either the last 3 years they would have gotten a stud and next year looks alot better, but this class is not good. If you want true upside the pick should be Buxton who has a chance to be in the Justin Upton mold, but also a high chance he doesn't reach that potential. I will have another one next week and see if there any changes.
    Don't worry, they should have the #1 pick next year.

  3. #3
    On Vacation All-Star
    Posts
    4,139
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    35
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    If you want true upside the pick should be Buxton who has a chance to be in the Justin Upton mold, but also a high chance he doesn't reach that potential. I will have another one next week and see if there any changes.
    Beg to differ. If you want pure upside the pick should be Giolito. Bit more of a risk than Buxton but higher upside. I'd take Verlander upside over Justin Upton upside every day (just because it is more rare.)

  4. #4
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,574
    Like
    2,585
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I'd take Verlander upside over Justin Upton upside every day (just because it is more rare.)
    This approach risks having the GM equivalent of Trevor Plouffe's batting line this season.

  5. #5
    If they're looking at upside with a pretty high floor, I think Correa might be the guy. As far as I'm concerned all pitchers have a pretty low floor, and if none are an 80 (and none are), I don't think you risk it with the #2 pick. Man, just keep Garza. I hope that lesson is learned.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    530
    Like
    57
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Beg to differ. If you want pure upside the pick should be Giolito. Bit more of a risk than Buxton but higher upside. I'd take Verlander upside over Justin Upton upside every day (just because it is more rare.)
    I totally agree - unless the Twins are going with a 5-man outfield and Butera on the mound, we don't need another 'toolsy' OF'er. We've already got Hicks, Benson, Morales, Kepler, Arcia, not to mention Revere, Plouffe, Parmelee and Span in the system. As proven by this year's pathetic rotation, the Twins desperately need pitchers. Giolito does have the highest upside and I'm hoping he's still a possibility, but I'd settle for Zimmer or Appel. If we can't have Verlander, I'll take anyone else who could win a Cy Young (or at least get a few votes).

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,623
    Like
    261
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    With the MLB draft coming up I thought I would do a top 10 mock draft and see what people think.
    Now for Twins analysis; There are 6 guys that are plausible in my mind with Buxton, Appel, Zunino, Zimmer, Gausman, and Giolito. However, I don't think Giolito will be the pick because of his injury and everything that we have heard Gausman is a step behind Appel and Zimmer for pitchers. So I believe it comes down to Buxton, Appel, Zunino, and Zimmer. My guess is it will come down to Buxton and Appel and the Twins will take whoever Houston doesn't take. That is of course if Houston doesn't take one of the other top 6 because this class is weak and no clear cut number 1 so the pick will be anyone. I am really hoping for Appel, but in my mind if he is there the Twins will take Buxton as he is the toolsy outfielder that the Twins love. He has a big upside, but he also has substantial risk. I think Appel or Zimmer are more of a sure thing even though neither is likely a top of the rotation starter. The bottom line is the Twins picked the wrong year to have the number 2 pick in the draft as if it was either the last 3 years they would have gotten a stud and next year looks alot better, but this class is not good. If you want true upside the pick should be Buxton who has a chance to be in the Justin Upton mold, but also a high chance he doesn't reach that potential. I will have another one next week and see if there any changes.
    While this draft isn't as good as last years draft, BA still thinks that about 14 of these guys will end up in next years top 100 prospect list. And whoever we take will easily slot in as our second best prospect.

    I think Houston takes Appel - I've read that ownership wants a big-time pitcher and that Appel has connections with the Astros. I change my mind on this everyday but I think I'd rather have Gausman right now over Buxton. Good numbers in the SEC, has stamina, good mechanics (so I've read). Hopefully, unlike Gibson, he doesn't get TJ surgery and he could get to the bigs by 14. A rotation with Gibson and Gausman could be a fun start (assume we'll be adding another high draft pick again next year). Buxton might take another six years. Look at how slow Hicks' hit tool is taking to develop (and I'm a big Hicks fan, I still think he'll put it all together). Correa is an interesting wildcard though. If the Twins were hoping to spend a little less than slot at #2, I don't think they would take Gausman, who is only a sophomore and could be draft eligible again next year. Would Correa agree to a 4.5m deal and then let the Twins spend more than slot down the line?

    The other thing that I think we Twins fans aren't focusing on enough is the #32 pick. Our first pick last year was Michael at #30. The #32 pick could be a real nice surprise, esp if Giolito somehow fell to us there (very unlikely). Those extra picks in the top 75 are what is really going to make or break this draft.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    604
    Like
    11
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    [QUOTE=sbknudson;18853]Don't worry, they should have the #1 pick next year.[/QUOTE

    I'm too late somebody beat me to the punch. You are not supposed to be thinking about the draft when you say there's always next year.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    604
    Like
    11
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    I hate to be lazy, but who was the last player drafted that has made an impact in the majors? I know it would have been Kyle Gibson if not for the surgery.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,623
    Like
    261
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I hate to be lazy, but who was the last player drafted that has made an impact in the majors? I know it would have been Kyle Gibson if not for the surgery.
    Depends on what you mean by impact. Valencia had a very strong ROY campaign.

  11. #11

    Who to draft?

    I am a big Zunino fan, but I have changed my mind about who I think the Twins should draft. The best position player is Correa. He is big and rangy and can possibly stay in the infield plus he is perhaps the best hitter as well, so I would draft him. The top 20 pitchers are all about the same without a clear #1 starter potential so I can get that guy withnthe 32nd pick. I go with Correa.

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,755
    Like
    1
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Correa is going to stay on the infield. The only questions is weather he is going to play SS or 3B. Most seem to think he will move to 3B but there are a few experts/scouts out there that think he has a chance to stay at SS. Him or Gausman would be my choices at #2. I understand that an average to above average catcher is valuable but I just don't see him being an impact player in the bigs. Most scouting reports I have read have him a clear grade or two behind Posey or Weiters.

  13. #13
    At this point I'd go all in for Giolito, but I'm not the Twins and I highly doubt they do. I don't think he's that much of a risk, the injury just happened at a bad time. He's been compared to Bundy from last year(I don't know how good of a comp that is) and that is working out favorably so far. If you can get a high school arm that works out i.e. Kershaw, you can have an ace for a very long time.

  14. #14
    If not Buxton, then give me Correa. Do we really want a guy who can throw 98mph but doesn't dominate at the collegiate level? College pitchers scare me anyway, and if none of the top collegiate pitchers are rated at the top end of the scale i'd rather take my chances with a high-upside position player. If Buxton goes #1, i like the idea of drafting Correa and signing him under slot to use that money on pitching with the supplemental picks.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    100
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    if he had not gotten hurt Giolito likely is the number 1 pick in the draft. But when pitchers get arm problems in high school that shoots up the red flag with the amount of money that a top 5 pick costs. That is the reason Giolito won't go in the top 5 he will likely go between 6-10 as the potential is there and a little less risk outside top 5.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    I totally agree - unless the Twins are going with a 5-man outfield and Butera on the mound, we don't need another 'toolsy' OF'er. We've already got Hicks, Benson, Morales, Kepler, Arcia, not to mention Revere, Plouffe, Parmelee and Span in the system. As proven by this year's pathetic rotation, the Twins desperately need pitchers. Giolito does have the highest upside and I'm hoping he's still a possibility, but I'd settle for Zimmer or Appel. If we can't have Verlander, I'll take anyone else who could win a Cy Young (or at least get a few votes).

    And thankfully this is why there are experts running the draft not fans. This isn't the NFL or NBA, you never draft for need.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.