Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Gray

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jeff Gray

Now that the blow up has occurred, time to DFA him and not care if some team is foolish enough to claim him. Time to go with guys who might be part of the future, namely Slama.

They wont YET, but another bad game or 2 & they will finally turn to Deolis Guerra, not the 28 yr old Slama (who I am a fan of).

He's had ONE bad game. What a stupid reactionary move that would be.

yea, he has still been very good with the game on the line....

I didnt say cut him now, just wait and its also not about what he did today.....more of how he has done for his career. Same with Matt Maloney. Just wait, he'll deserve his DFA eventually.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    He's had ONE bad game. What a stupid reactionary move that would be.
    Oh my. No. He has never been a good pitcher. Ever. Except he has kept his ERA done miraculously this year so far. Now that is no more. NOW is the time to say thanks, but we have other guys who will be a part of the future. Jeff Gray is not part of the future.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slama in his last 10 appearances for Rochester: 11.2 IP, 0 R, 6 H, 5 BB, 20 K.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both Gray and Burton are regressing to the mean. Burton used to have a 0.042 BABIP at some point. That was unsustainable. So was Gray's lack of runs with the kind of h/9 and BB/9 he allowed. If you can get anything from them (like a D level prospect) try to but otherwise... I think Gray is a goner when Blackburn gets off the DL and I would rather have Slama than Burton any day of the week.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Slama in his last 10 appearances for Rochester: 11.2 IP, 0 R, 6 H, 5 BB, 20 K.
    I'm sure he will get the call up soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Both Gray and Burton are regressing to the mean. Burton used to have a 0.042 BABIP at some point. That was unsustainable. So was Gray's lack of runs with the kind of h/9 and BB/9 he allowed. If you can get anything from them (like a D level prospect) try to but otherwise... I think Gray is a goner when Blackburn gets off the DL and I would rather have Slama than Burton any day of the week.
    There is a big difference between Burton and Gray, Gray is basically organizational filler and has no upside, he will be gone soon one way or another, Burton, while not great is a guy worth holding onto for a bit, he is still striking guys out at the majors, always showed that ability in the minors as well.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Gray is a goner when Blackburn gets off the DL and I would rather have Slama than Burton any day of the week.
    Whoa, I like Slama but that's a little bit ridiculous. Burton has a track record of prolonged success in the majors when healthy, and right now he certainly appears to be healthy. He's a quality reliever and a great find.

Hard to claim that the guy is lucky when he's striking out 27 percent of opponents.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    criticize Ryan all you want for the Marquis signing as he deserves criticism for that. However, don't be so kneejerk as Gray and Burton were great finds and have been the reason the Twins bullpen is the deepest it has been in years. Both Gray and Burton are reliable relief pitchers at the big league level. Gray in his past 9 outings before yesterday had given up 2 runs in his last 11 innings and has become a reliable middle relief guy. Burton for a long time was the Twins most reliable reliever pitching 11.2 hitless innings and of course he was going to come back to the pack a little bit, but it is a bit early to jump so quickly off his bandwagon. I have just as much confidence in Burton and Gray as I do in Perkins, Capps, and Duensing. Of all the problems the Twins have the bullpen is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    criticize Ryan all you want for the Marquis signing as he deserves criticism for that. However, don't be so kneejerk as Gray and Burton were great finds and have been the reason the Twins bullpen is the deepest it has been in years. Both Gray and Burton are reliable relief pitchers at the big league level. Gray in his past 9 outings before yesterday had given up 2 runs in his last 11 innings and has become a reliable middle relief guy. Burton for a long time was the Twins most reliable reliever pitching 11.2 hitless innings and of course he was going to come back to the pack a little bit, but it is a bit early to jump so quickly off his bandwagon. I have just as much confidence in Burton and Gray as I do in Perkins, Capps, and Duensing. Of all the problems the Twins have the bullpen is not one of them.
    Burton is a pretty nice arm, Gray on the other hands, while not awful is basically a replacement level player. It wasn't a bad signing by any means as it allows the Twins to have additional depth in the organization etc.

The nice thing about Burton as well is that we could have him under team control next year as well. I believe he can become a free agent in 2014?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by travistwinstalk View Post
    I like Burton and dislike Gray. Why? Because one is good and the other is not. Burton's career stats are good when he is healthy. Jeff Gray has been pretty bad in his career, and his minor league numbers weren't much better. He should have never been given a major league contract in the first place.

That the bullpen hasn't been a problem does not mean that it still can't be improved. They have to improve personnel where they can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The nice thing about Burton as well is that we could have him under team control next year as well. I believe he can become a free agent in 2014?
    He is a free agent after this season. He signed an one year contract. It was not one of those waiver wire pickups like Maloney, Gray and Vasquez.
    -----

Blog Entries
    Burton was good enough to be considered as a closer candidate for the Reds before he got hurt. Maybe that doesn't mean much in the era of the "proven closer" mentality, but I would guess that Burton just hit a blip whereas Gray is going to be more of the same now.

He is a free agent after this season. He signed an one year contract. It was not one of those waiver wire pickups like Maloney, Gray and Vasquez.
    What I am seeing is that he is arb eligible after this season, so the Twins can hold onto him and he can't become a free agent until 2014.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SpiritofVodkaDave is correct. He has one year worth of arbitration remaining. Twins have control until after 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    SpiritofVodkaDave is correct. He has one year worth of arbitration remaining. Twins have control until after 2014.
    Yeah, exactly, its sorta like when the Red Sox signed David Ortiz as a "free agent" but he still had an additional year of arb eligibility which is why they ended up with 2 cost controlled years of him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I am confused here: if a free agent signs an one year contract, he is not a free agent after the next season? I understand how arbitration works after trades and waiver picks but didn't Burton just sign an one year contract?
    -----

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast