Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Blog Spotting: Draft-Worthy Pitchers

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I totally agree and I am glad that it is going to (hopefully) get more attention now. It's good work.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    even if they go catcher or outfielder at #2, the Twins could still get 2-3 of these guys, so it's wonderful work Thrylos is doing!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys (and I am not sure that it is that wonderful).

I think that the way the numbers are (those 6 picks among) the first 100, looks like a couple of them would likely be Twins, so we better get to know them. The one I am profiling later today, Pat Light, as a matter of fact was drafted by the Twins in 2009 and did not sign. So I think that it is a good likelihood that he might be one of them with one of the supplemental picks, if he falls down that far.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I, too, have enjoyed these. Thrylos, how long until you get started on 2013???
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    even if they go catcher or outfielder at #2, the Twins could still get 2-3 of these guys, so it's wonderful work Thrylos is doing!

Where is Mitch Brown, the Rochester Century kid, ranked as far as pitching goes? Is he someone the Twins should think about with one of their supplemental picks and/or 2nd round picks?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I've heard Brown could be a late-2nd or 3rd round pick, probably just outside of the Top 22. That's not to say that he's not someone that the Twins could consider.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Baseball America ranks Brown #44, so that could be supplemental first-round range too. He's 6-0 with a 0.38 ERA and 75 Ks this year.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes Brown is ranked pretty high by some people. I picked 22 people just because I started this on May 12th and wanted to finish by the end of May.

And for the bottom 5-10 of my list I could have picked totally different people. The way I look at this (because I have not seen the kids pitch) is to pay attention to scouting reports, look at videos, look at their records and numbers and also look at the competition they faced. I am very familiar with Rochester MN and I know that the level of competition that Brown has faced is not that high. A lot of High School kids outside big city areas in places like CA, FL and TX and some up in the Northeast fall into this category. So for a High School to break through, if his school does not have a lot of competition, he needs to have electric stuff. Brown's fastball tops at 93. Another thing I look at is where those guys were ranked last season. Here is the Scouting News Rankings of High Schoolers eligible for the 2012 draft, a year ago. Brown was in mid 200s... I am always leery of Highshoolers making huge jumps in one year. (of all prospects anyways, but High School kids in particular, esp. not often scouted High School kids).

In too many words, that's why Brown did not make the cut. Will he be good? Could be. Will the Twins pick him? Maybe. They do like to pick local kids out of both College and High School and they might use one of the supplemental picks or the second or third round pick on him. Will he sign? Maybe. He is committed to UCSD and he is an Academic kid as well, so who knows....
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    From a tweet from Jim Callis of Baseball America:

Hearing #Twins will grab him in sandwich rd. @njrowan: Terry Ryan among about 20 scouts at Century HS to watch Mitch Brown pitch. #MLBDraft