Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Marquis

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Jason Marquis

He's gotta go now. He stinks, it looks like he is throwing BP to all hitters. There has to be better options than putting him out there. Duensing or Swarzak should replace him in the rotation and call up Lester Oliveros or Deolis Guerrato fill in the bullpen.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd keep Duensing and Swarzak in the bullpen... DFA Marquis... add Cole DeVries to the 40 man roster and call him up to start.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Can't imagine the Twins keep Marquis after this start.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why not send him to Rochester in the hope that he can get better?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'd keep Duensing and Swarzak in the bullpen... DFA Marquis... add Cole DeVries to the 40 man roster and call him up to start.
    This.....dont mess with the pen

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well at least this makes the decision a no brainer as if it was'nt before now. I gave him a pass the first couple starts...missing most of ST, his daughters accident but this is embarrassing. It's quite obvious he's finished as a starter, at least for us. I'm all for DeVries now if that's what it takes although Swarzak is an option as well.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I was hoping the DFA announcement would be made when they came back from commercial after the pitching change in the bottom of the 2nd.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I was hoping the DFA announcement would be made when they came back from commercial after the pitching change in the bottom of the 2nd.
    That would have been good.

Walter/Diamond/Pavano could all go on regular rest for the CHI series if MN just skips Blackburn's turn with the offday MON (Dick/Bert talking like they wont).
    I then could see them call DeVries up for Fri's game at home vs DET. Swarzak or Liriano could make one spot start on SAT with Diamond on SUN.....This would get the rotation back to Walters/Pavano/DeVries to go MON-Wed vs CLE with an off day THUR.
    This would give them a chance to get Hendriks 2 more starts in AAA & then step back into that spot in rotation on that SAT (he would start next WED/MON in AAA).
    Utilize your off days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Walter/Diamond/Pavano could all go on regular rest for the CHI series if MN just skips Blackburn's turn with the offday MON (Dick/Bert talking like they wont).
    I then could see them call DeVries up for Fri's game at home vs DET. Swarzak or Liriano could make one spot start on SAT with Diamond on SUN.....This would get the rotation back to Walters/Pavano/DeVries to go MON-Wed vs CLE with an off day THUR.
    This would give them a chance to get Hendriks 2 more starts in AAA & then step back into that spot in rotation on that SAT (he would start next WED/MON in AAA).
    Utilize your off days.
    I think that Gardenhire uses the off days to eat more pizza.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Why not send him to Rochester in the hope that he can get better?
    That ^^^^

He has an option left (remember he started the season in New Britain). Being a 5+ year pitcher he would have to accept optioning and I am not sure whether the fact that he accepted optioning earlier in the season has anything to do with now. Plus he will bring local star quality for the ever-complaining natives there.... /sarcasm

The bottom like is that the interim GM made a $3 million mistake. Would be interesting to see whether Terry Ryan admits that he is wrong.

About who should replace him? I think that it is about time that the Twins see what Cole DeVries have. He is the best P in Rochester (other than Hendriks) right now.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    The bottom like is that the interim GM made a $3 million mistake. Would be interesting to see whether Terry Ryan admits that he is wrong.
    What GM has a 100% success rate? Willingham, Carroll, Doumit, Blanton, Grey were solid pick ups. Turpin (Slowey trade) looks good at AA.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    That ^^^^

He has an option left (remember he started the season in New Britain). Being a 5+ year pitcher he would have to accept optioning and I am not sure whether the fact that he accepted optioning earlier in the season has anything to do with now. Plus he will bring local star quality for the ever-complaining natives there.... /sarcasm

About who should replace him? I think that it is about time that the Twins see what Cole DeVries have. He is the best P in Rochester (other than Hendriks) right now.
    This cannot be right! Terry Ryan was a genious... a long time ago

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any upside to Marquis staying with the team, much less the rotation. It is batting practice, he doesn't throw enough strikes to get hitters to chase and he can't make 'em swing and miss. I also don't want to see the bullpen messed with too much, it seems that the Twins have lots of bullpen options and the starting options are not at all attractive. Moving either Duensing or Swarzak out of the 'pen to the rotation would make sense.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, Rochester is the best place for him now. I just get it in my head that when someone is this terrible they need to be sent packing entirely. I mean a waste of money either way, right? But, yes. DeVries is next.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    DFA Marquis and make Butera a pitcher...

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now that Butera has mastered the art of pitching and catching, maybe he's bored and would like to take a crack at GMing in Ryan's place.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His showing today was pathetic to say the least. Nearly every pitch I saw was a hanging breaking ball or a mediocre fastball down main street. Then the command problems came and I just about lost it. I don't expect much from Marquis (I didn't expect a win either), but that was honestly the worst I have ever seen a pitcher perform. Ever. Cut him loose and move on. He's done enough damage to the Twins in 6 weeks to ever play for them again. He's washed up and never really was more than a #5 pitcher in his career. Now that he's bottomed out even more and is 33, I can't see any time with the Red Wings helping him anyway.

Obv. he should be DFA, only a matter of hours now.

No Rochester.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sending him to Rochester makes no sense for a 35-36 year old. Marquis has had too solid of a career for too long to do that to him. DFA is the only way. Hendriks is the Red Wings best starter, but I think he should get more than 3-4 starts down there. It's all about what's best long term, and that's Hendriks being used/moved wisely. It's also about seeing what you have in the likes of DeVries/Walters (and Slama, etc.).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast