Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seedlings To Stars Twins Prospect List

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seedlings To Stars Twins Prospect List

Seedlings to Stars listed the top Twins prospects at each position. It's a pretty good read from a guy who clearly follows the Twins closely:

http://seedlingstostars.com/2012/02/08/s2s-2012-team-prospect-lists-minnesota-twins/

But what really encouraged me is that at just about each position, there was some hope. Consider:

C - Chris Herrmann
    1B - Chris Parmelee
    2B - Eddie Rosario
    3B - Miguel Sano
    SS - Levi Michael
    OF - Oswaldo Arcia
    OF - Aaron Hicks
    OF - Joe Benson

I gotta say - that doesn't suck. Only three of them are close to the majors, and that always limit my excitement a bit, but that's going to be kind of a fun lineup to watch for the next couple of years. And it doesn't include some other intriguing guys like Dozier and Morales.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And it doesn't include pitchers, and Hendriks, Gibson, Wimmers, Stuifbergen and Darnell could all make a case to be in the starting rotation in 2013. (not that they all would, but they'll all be knocking at the door)

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was less enthusiastic about the pitchers. But I was about halfway through the story and was surprised how often at each position I thought "I'm kinda excited about this guy" - and I hadn't even got to the outfielders yet.

I know it's early but drafting Giolito with the number 2 pick in June would sure be a breath of fresh air. A pitching prospect of that caliber mixed in with a promising group of position player prospects would really be exciting.

It was nice to see the middle infield situation make some nice strides in 2011 too, Dozier making himself a prospect, drafting Levi Michael and moving Rosario to 2B (hope it sticks!). Can't wait to follow all of these guys in a couple months!

Blog Entries
    I'm with you... as excited as I am about the Twins season, I'm also really excited to see which prospects play well in 2012 and which jump up the rankings! I think Giolito would instantly jump to #2 on a Twins prospect list, behind only Sano.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that Sano and rosario are far superior to anyone else in the system. The system is flat right now, and would receive a huge boost if Aaron Hicks blossomed into that 5 tool potential all star that they called him once he got drafted. Another note, this year's draft is extremely weak Keith Law said that if this draft class was combined with last year's draft class, the first player from this draft class would have been picked around 7. I think that if Appel is not there they should take Marrero, likely to shoot through the system within 2 years, making the infield look like this within 4 years.
    3B. Sano
    SS. Marrero
    2B. Rosario
    1B. TBD

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with all of this. Giolito is really enticing, but he is so different from what the Twins usually look for. I hope Houston takes Appel so the Twins do not have a choice and have to take Giolito.

I don't see Sano sticking at third. I wonder if Niko Goodrum eventually ends up there. He certainly has the arm, and if he fills out, he could develop some decent power. Levi Michael seems like the type of player who will overachieve. If he stays healthy as a pro, he could be a rich-man's Nick Punto.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesfan11 View Post
    I know it's early but drafting Giolito with the number 2 pick in June would sure be a breath of fresh air. A pitching prospect of that caliber mixed in with a promising group of position player prospects would really be exciting.

It was nice to see the middle infield situation make some nice strides in 2011 too, Dozier making himself a prospect, drafting Levi Michael and moving Rosario to 2B (hope it sticks!). Can't wait to follow all of these guys in a couple months!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I agree with all of this. Giolito is really enticing, but he is so different from what the Twins usually look for. I hope Houston takes Appel so the Twins do not have a choice and have to take Giolito.

I don't see Sano sticking at third. I wonder if Niko Goodrum eventually ends up there. He certainly has the arm, and if he fills out, he could develop some decent power. Levi Michael seems like the type of player who will overachieve. If he stays healthy as a pro, he could be a rich-man's Nick Punto.
    Looks like we need to add Kyle Zimmer from San Francisco to our radar for potential 1-2 picks. From the article he definitely sounds more enticing than Mark Appel. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...ly-draft-buzz/

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the link is dead from the original post.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As the Twins really need a power pitcher to have another good pitching prospect now that Gibson is out for a while with his surgery, there seem to be several guys that they could go after with the second pick. But as they also could use some more solid relief pitching, do they stick with a starter, or do they go for a highly-touted relief prospect if they have the chance?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A releif pitcher with the 2nd pick? Of course not. The Twins do not have a single prospect in thier entire system that has the potential to be an ace. Every team should have at least a couple guys that have that potential even if it is not likely he will live up to it. But the Twins have NOBODY. The #2 pick is our chance to finally get that guy with the stuff to be #1 starter.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Overall, I like how that line-up looks from 1-9 but it will be tough for all of those guys to pan out and make it to the MLB level. There are so many question marks when all most of the players are still multiple years away from appearing at Target Field.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    I think that Sano and rosario are far superior to anyone else in the system. The system is flat right now, and would receive a huge boost if Aaron Hicks blossomed into that 5 tool potential all star that they called him once he got drafted. Another note, this year's draft is extremely weak Keith Law said that if this draft class was combined with last year's draft class, the first player from this draft class would have been picked around 7. I think that if Appel is not there they should take Marrero, likely to shoot through the system within 2 years, making the infield look like this within 4 years.
    3B. Sano
    SS. Marrero
    2B. Rosario
    1B. TBD
    You can pencil in Travis Harrison in 1B and they already have Levi Michael at SS. They do need pitchers and power pitchers. Boyd is a dark horse in the organization who still hasn't thrown a pitch because he signed late; lets see how he does this season, but he might be fast-tracked.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    They won't fast track Boyd, at least not for a couple of years. They could fast track power college arms like Boer, Williams and Summers though. They've added some power arms the last couple of years. HOpefully they pan out.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd expect Boyd to pitch in the GCL, with maybe a bump for a few games with E-town, or play E-towns full schedule this year if they're impressed enough by him. Best case scenario I could envision for Boyd if everything goes right and he's a stud, is the path Jeremy Hellickson took with Rays. He didn't get bumped up a level midseason until his 4th year in the minors (could argue his 3rd, as he pitched only 4 games his first season).
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Is Salcedo not an intriguing potential ace in the farm system? I would like to think he is. And maybe Hermsen and Stuifbergen aren't potential aces but I'd consider them front of the rotation starts like a Baker or top-form Liriano

Blog Entries
    Salcedo has an outside chance if he gains some weight, gets stronger, adds some velocity and then gets more strikeouts. Hermsen probably doesn't throw hard enough to be more than a #3, not that there is anything wrong with that. Stuifbergen added some velocity last year, so he could be a Scott Baker-type #2 if he keeps working, maintains his velocity and strong secondary pitches.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    You can pencil in Travis Harrison in 1B and they already have Levi Michael at SS. They do need pitchers and power pitchers. Boyd is a dark horse in the organization who still hasn't thrown a pitch because he signed late; lets see how he does this season, but he might be fast-tracked.
    Harrison was working at 3B in instructs....
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The upcoming draft is going to be huge to start to replenish our depleted minor league system. In the meantime, the Twins need Sano to turn in to a stud at the big league level in the next few years and be a third baseman with power that we can pencil in to the line-up for a dozen years.
    Last edited by puck34; 02-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I agree that Giolitio would be my top choice right now due to his ceiling. Some make it sound like his command isn't far behind Appel's at this point.

But I also wouldn't say that it's between Appel and Giolito at this point. Neither of them are anything near a lock for the top two spots. There are plenty of other guys that could surpass them with a good season: Gausman, Beck, Zimmer, Fried. I also wouldn't be opposed to them drafting Zunino or Marrero given the difficulty in finding guys at their positions, but I hope they go with a potential #1 starter because the farm system could really use one.

Quote Originally Posted by Topperanton View Post
    Is Salcedo not an intriguing potential ace in the farm system? I would like to think he is. And maybe Hermsen and Stuifbergen aren't potential aces but I'd consider them front of the rotation starts like a Baker or top-form Liriano
    I think ace is really optimistic on Salcedo. I think he has #1 starter potential (which is entirely different from ace in my opinion), but is much more likely to end up as a #2 or #3 guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast