Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too early for next year?

Too early for next year?

Listening to Dick and Bert while watching the Brew Crew lose, I thought Bert mentioned Zach Greinke is a free agent after this year.

With it probably being Capps and Pavano's last year, would this free up enough money for the Twins to go after Mr. Greinke? (If Bert was correct)

Thoughts, feedback and general pointing and laughing are all appreciated.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will have all sorts of money by not re-signing Pavano, Capps, Baker, and Marquis. They are paying those 4 about $21 million or so this year. That with some arbitration upticks and the payroll might be at $85 million at most?

Two things, though:

One, the Twins have to commit to several years, and they won't do that. And two, players have to want to come to Minnesota to play. Greinke might be that type, actually, true. But he might get a 5-year deal.

Greinke is a headcase. We don't need anymore of that.

I forgot about Marquis being on a 1 year contract. I also forgot about Baker.

Obviously, I'm ignoring the problems at 3B and hoping that Mauer and Morneau make a strong come back this year. As an aside, Doumit looks like he's that DH the Twins have needed for a while.

So, it appears the Twins would have the money. I wonder if the FO would pursue Greinke because A. he would put fans in the seats and B. He would give the Twins the front line starter they need.

Twins might pursue Greinke--or they might not. Doesnt matter--Grienke wont come here--he will want to go to a contender with an overpriced contract in his pocket.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will not want to give up the draft pick for Greinke. Until the front office realizes that sometimes you have to do things for the now we will all be waiting.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    As was the case this year, the Pohlad's will pocket a large amount of payroll money which will be coming off the books.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    The Twins will not want to give up the draft pick for Greinke. Until the front office realizes that sometimes you have to do things for the now we will all be waiting.
    Not sure how the new draft system works with compensation of signing high profile players but I would assume the Twins 1st round pick would be protected like it would have been in the past. Like someone else said he would want to play for a contender and also want a huge long term deal.

I think with the group of FA pitchers on the market after this year Greinke is nice but the Twins have lots of options right now. Here is a list of guys I just pulled off mlbtraderumors.com http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ee-agents.html

They are quite a few big name guys that we can go after and while Greinke is an attractive option, he's not the end all be all.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Answering at least the draft question, if the Twins signed Greinke they would give the Brewers a compensation round pick IF they offer him arbitration worth about $12.5 million. Greinke actually has a better shot of staying near here because b4 he played in Milwaukee, he played in KC, so he knows both leagues and is connected to the Midwest.

Greinke has endured enough 90-100 loss seasons with the Royals. Why would he want to sign with MN only to endure 3+ 100 loss seasons to start his free agent deal? The Twins would need to WAAAAY overpay in dollars and years to even be in the conversation for any decent free agents in the coming years.

The scouting departments disastrous drafting in recent years is really gonna haunt the team just as much as Mauer's contract. There is little hope to sell to free agents that his team will be even remotely competitive in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Don't underestimate how dumb this front office is. They gave up a supplemental 1st rounder this year to sign Capps. Capps is a decent pitcher but when you are going to lose 90+ games and your minor leagues are an embarassment why give up a 1st round pick to sign a closer than will make NO difference this year???

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    That would be great, but I do not see them doing it. He'll want lots of years, and lots of money. Willingham is the largest FA signing ever. Ryan and the FO talk all the time about not burdening the team with long term deals for lots of money. Would love it, but I don't see it.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The way it sounds in Milwaukee is that if the Brewers are out of it in June the will start to field offers on Greinke,K-Rod,Marcum. If the right team gets Greinke he probably will not be a FA after this year.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Just has not been the Twins M.O. to compete for top notch pitchers in free agency and I have to say I agree with it. Multi-year deals on starting pitchers is an albatross just waiting to be hung around the necks of management. I would much rather see the Twins add starting pitching through trades or by developing them internally. If the Twins are willing to bite the bullet, they may be able to get a fairly high level pitching prospect for Span. The only problem at this point is that none of the CF prospects in their system seem to want to be the heir apparent. Revere, despite my earlier misgivings about him, might be the only guy who could begin to fill a void left by DSpan.

I don't think Span is traded this year, unless the Twins get an offer that restocks the farm system. I see Revere going before Span.

One thing I don't know about is Greinke's durability. Has Zack spent a lot of time on the DL?

One, free agents want to play for a contender or a ring, unless on the downslide of a career and the money blows them away. I would see Span going, now, before revere. Watch for Revere to shine and stay, with Plouffe staying on the bench and getting filtered into third...who else can play there....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    That would be great, but I do not see them doing it. He'll want lots of years, and lots of money. Willingham is the largest FA signing ever. Ryan and the FO talk all the time about not burdening the team with long term deals for lots of money. Would love it, but I don't see it.
    Lucky for Twins fans the Mauer contract is not a burden to the team signing any players...

Quote Originally Posted by luckylager View Post
    Greinke is a headcase. We don't need anymore of that.
    Maybe, but I don't think he's a headcase in the same sense that Liriano is. Frankie gets all up in his head when he's on the mound, but I think Greinke's deal is more off-the-field. Seems like he doesn't crave a lot of attention and is probably the introverted loner type. I don't think if affects him when he's pitching, or he's just good enough to overcome it. He's not super-elite like a Verlander, Weaver, or Kershaw but he's still a damn fine staff ace.

If he's more comfortable in smaller markets and the Twins are willing to pony up, I would love to see him in a Twins uniform. It seems like a good fit, and the organization is already fairly familiar with him. Then just let the dude do what he knows and don't fill his head with some pitch-to-contact nonsense. It would be a strong statement that the team acknowledges that the pitching staff is ass and they're committed to improving it.
    Last edited by EephusKnuckler; 05-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer thought. Move him to third primarily and draft Zununo to take his place after next season. by 2014 Twins IF is Morneau 1b Dozier, Levi 2b and SS, Mauer 3b and Zununo C, Of ans DH will have lots of Possibilities Span, Revere, Sano, Willingham, Morales, Parmelee, Benson, Arcia, and Hicks. Its not like we couldn't afford Greinke and be bad for a year while the rest of the team develops. We also can trade Span to free up money and Backburn will be off the books soon too.

So the rotation for 2014 is Greinke, Hendricks, Gibson, ?, and one of Diamond, Swazak, or other AAAA pitcher with hopefully a healthy Wimmers in the wings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast