Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Factors for Frustration

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Factors for Frustration

When reading this article it is obvious how terrible the hitting/pitching coach and medical staff have been for 3+ years yet Terr Ryan has failed to shake things up.

When is the last time Vavra or Anderson made a positive impact on a player? Loshe, Dicky, Garza, Humber, Hardy and many others have to be overjoyed they got out when they did.

It is perplexing why this coaching staff can't seem to help players move forward. I heard or read Gardenhire say that it will be good for Parmelee to go back down to AAA and work with Brunansky to get his hitting stroke back. Huh? Don't the Twins have a hitting coach for that?

Add to these factors that the Twins starting pitchers’ have all performed to a nightmarish, worst-case-scenario, and although no one could have predicted 11-25, it shouldn’t be surprising that this team is struggling already in the season.
    I guess my reading of this has been different. If you had told me on April 1st that given that list, we'd be 6/10 on May 16, I would have been quite happy and expected we'd be in the .500 range. I guess it goes to show (a) just how spectacularly terrible our starting pitching has been and (b) not only did the young players not maintain or improve, they have been awful.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nicely done.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think we should have been all that surprised to be 11-25.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frustration is the right word. This team was full of question marks going in, and was facing a rough schedule to start the season.

What's most frustrating to me is that you don't really need much to be competitive in this division. None of these teams would have a prayer of finishing higher than third in the East or West. Everyone assumed Detroit would run away with it, and I'd still pick them to win it. But they are keystone cops on defense, their bullpen is shaky, the rotation after Verlander isn't all that great and while their lineup is strong, I think the absence of V-Mart has hurt.

Think about it this way - suppose the Twins had been able to win 5 more games thus far, which they could easily have done had the rotation not been completely awful.

We'd be sitting at 16-21, right in the middle of a cluster of teams a few games behind Cleveland and looking at things very differently. With the toughest part of the schedule behind us and a ton of games left against the AL Central, the Twins could have hung around by faring well against their division opponents, none of whom are particularly good.

But it's hard to look at it that way having gone 11-26, and looking pretty darn ugly doing it.

I agree with you Prairiejack. I have never understood why players with the Twins seem to hit a wall and then they go somewhere else and excel. Prime example would be David Ortiz. Matt Garza also. This organization HAS TO look at the coaching staff and shake it up. Hitting and pitching coaches included.

Quote Originally Posted by prairiejack View Post
    It is perplexing why this coaching staff can't seem to help players move forward. I heard or read Gardenhire say that it will be good for Parmelee to go back down to AAA and work with Brunansky to get his hitting stroke back. Huh? Don't the Twins have a hitting coach for that?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinnesotaGirl View Post
    I agree with you Prairiejack. I have never understood why players with the Twins seem to hit a wall and then they go somewhere else and excel. Prime example would be David Ortiz. Matt Garza also. This organization HAS TO look at the coaching staff and shake it up. Hitting and pitching coaches included.
    You mean the Matt Garza who performed almost exactly as he had in his last year in Minnesota for the next three years after he left and THEN took a step forward in his fourth?

Oh...and it should probably be noted that a big part of Ortiz's success after leaving the Twins was his willingness and ability to drive the ball the other way and pound the Green Monster...which happens to be the approach he supposedly was resistant to that those very Twins were recommending.