Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A better and cheaper alternative to Baxter in the draft...

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries

A better and cheaper alternative to Baxter in the draft...

If the Twins are looking for the best player available (and happens to be an OF), they should try to sign this guy: 16-year old Gustavo Cabrera. (The link actually has a long video of him). By far the best 16 year old in the Dominican, probably a better bet than Buxton, lots of Sano comparisons and with the new CBA, cheaper than both Sano and Buxton and number 2. Just a thought...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 05-17-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Cool. I forget, how does the new signing procedure of Latin American talent work under the new CBA?

Blog Entries
    Per the new CBA all teams are restricted to a total of $2.9 M budget for international signings. So top signings will end up being max $1.5-2 M and that is really pushing it.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Per the new CBA all teams are restricted to a total of $2.9 M budget for international signings. So top signings will end up being max $1.5-2 M and that is really pushing it.
    Is there a "draft order" of some kind or can all teams bid on the same player? I would think, money being equal, the Twins might have a good reputation in Latin America.

Blog Entries
    It is a lot like the MLB free agent market. All these guys are free agents and can sign for any team for any amount they agree. Players who are playing professionally in Japan are an exception. Still not clear whether Cuban defectors are included here, but usually those do not have large bonuses; they have large contracts.
    -----

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've heard that Cabrera, who is the #1 talent on the international market, is the Cardinals to lose.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By Baxter are you referring to Byron Buxton? Personally I think they should go for both. You can never have enough prospects. Even if it feels like they have a million toolsy outfielders, of Hicks, Benson, Arcia, Morales, Revere, and Span, half will probably not be with the organization by the time Buxton and Cabrera would reach the majors, if they do at all.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lol, the OP is a joke, doesn't even know the name of the draft prospects and expects people to respect his opinion. Jairo Beras in the eyes of exec's around the league is considered to be the top international prospect this year. Beras is going to be signing with the Rangers for 4.2 million on July second.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Lol, the OP is a joke, doesn't even know the name of the draft prospects and expects people to respect his opinion. Jairo Beras in the eyes of exec's around the league is considered to be the top international prospect this year. Beras is going to be signing with the Rangers for 4.2 million on July second.
    Do you know something about Beras that MLB doesn't? He apparently got a year younger and signed with the Rangers already. MLB hasn't approved the deal... and the rest of the league isn't happy there was such a deal in the first place. If he signs with the Rangers on July 2, he'll have to settle for far less than $4.2m... which was the motivation to get suddenly younger.

If I had to guess- which I don't, but I'm going to- I think MLB is going to come down hard on this situation... the Rangers won't be able to sign Beras and he'll get a year suspension for giving a false age.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Do you know something about Beras that MLB doesn't? He apparently got a year younger and signed with the Rangers already. MLB hasn't approved the deal... and the rest of the league isn't happy there was such a deal in the first place. If he signs with the Rangers on July 2, he'll have to settle for far less than $4.2m... which was the motivation to get suddenly younger.

If I had to guess- which I don't, but I'm going to- I think MLB is going to come down hard on this situation... the Rangers won't be able to sign Beras and he'll get a year suspension for giving a false age.
    Beras is 17, he does not need to follow the new CBA rules the CBA rules only apply to people 16 years old at the current time of the CBA being passed.

Blog Entries
    Beras actually got conveniently OLDER since the new CBA, my bad.

Beras had always presented himself to the MLB with a DOB of 12/25/1995. That's why he was allowed to play in the MLB Dominican Showcase. Now he's claiming that he's 17 and already eligible to sign. Either way, he's falsified his age and that may result in a suspension. So he's either signed with the Rangers for $4.2m and will get suspended. Or he'll have to sign for less on July 2.

Who the hell is Baxter?

First off when he says Baxter he means Byron Buxton the consensus number one pick. Second the guys in the Dominican aren't part of the upcoming draft. If they were many of them would be taken over U.S. players. Like people before me said, they are basically on an open market for teams to try and sign them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Is there a "draft order" of some kind or can all teams bid on the same player? I would think, money being equal, the Twins might have a good reputation in Latin America.
    Really? Who have they signed that has made an impact in the majors lately?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Really? Who have they signed that has made an impact in the majors lately?
    It was really based on a few things - 1) KLaw mentioning a while back that the Twins were the most active team in the international market. 2) Sano's agent saying something to the effect of how professional the Twins were to deal with and establishing a good relationship with him. So I figured if money is equal but the Twins front office has better relationships with the agents, that could create goodwill for them with these young players who don't know anything about the process.

I doubt that these kids care all that much (or even know all that much) about who has made the majors when a simple baseball contract would mean so much to them and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by nfisch22 View Post
    First off when he says Baxter he means Byron Buxton the consensus number one pick. Second the guys in the Dominican aren't part of the upcoming draft. If they were many of them would be taken over U.S. players. Like people before me said, they are basically on an open market for teams to try and sign them.
    Sorry, I know who it was, I just couldn't help myself and had to be a Richard.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    The past couple of years the Twins have had success by out-bidding other teams for international players. Those days are over, now with the alloted international signing allowence, the bidding for top players will probably come down to a difference 100k or so max. I haven't heard anyone speculate on this, but I fear the Twins reputation for intentionally delaying service time is going to kill them in the bidding. Even if the Twins top another team by say 200K, the player is going to choose option B knowing that with the Twins, he will almost certainly have to wait five or six years before making it to the majors at which point he will have to wait another six years before he can get his first free agent contract.

Yoenis Cespedes is different because he was MLB ready, but he picked the A's because they were only requesting a four year deal and he was counting on outproducing his paycheck and cashing in again much sooner than had he signed with the other clubs insisting on a five or six year deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The past couple of years the Twins have had success by out-bidding other teams for international players. Those days are over, now with the alloted international signing allowence, the bidding for top players will probably come down to a difference 100k or so max. I haven't heard anyone speculate on this, but I fear the Twins reputation for intentionally delaying service time is going to kill them in the bidding. Even if the Twins top another team by say 200K, the player is going to choose option B knowing that with the Twins, he will almost certainly have to wait five or six years before making it to the majors at which point he will have to wait another six years before he can get his first free agent contract.

Yoenis Cespedes is different because he was MLB ready, but he picked the A's because they were only requesting a four year deal and he was counting on outproducing his paycheck and cashing in again much sooner than had he signed with the other clubs insisting on a five or six year deal.
    I really doubt a 16yr old kid is worried about his ML debut time when the signing bonus is going to change his and his families life. IMHO, it's much more important how teams are viewed by the agents in the area that help these kids sign with ML teams. And the Twins have a good reputation with those agents.

And the delaying service time isn't really a big Twins thing, anyway. The premier Twins prospects over the last decade - Mauer, Kubel, Morneau, Liriano - were all brought up at 22 or younger.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    And the delaying service time isn't really a big Twins thing, anyway. The premier Twins prospects over the last decade - Mauer, Kubel, Morneau, Liriano - were all brought up at 22 or younger.
    100% true. One of the most annoying misconceptions about the Twins is that they move players too slowly through the minors. As you pointed out, if a player is dominating, he'll move quickly. There have been some players that took a long time to move through the system, but all you have to do is look at their production over the years and you can see why.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    Who the hell is Baxter?
    Exactly, the OP has no idea what the hell he's talking about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast