Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Tuesday's Trip through the Minors

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Among all the disappointing pitching in the majors, it is great to see performances like Shibuya tonight. A ray of hope.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adjacent View Post
    Among all the disappointing pitching in the majors, it is great to see performances like Shibuya tonight. A ray of hope.
    Shibuya is probably too old for his level.
    The guy he pitched against was almost 2 years younger. Hopefully the Twins do a mass round of call ups / down soon.
    Sano Rosario Shibuya up to High A
    Arcia up to AA
    Bromberg up to AAA
    and put Benson down to High A until he remembers how to hit.
    No need for him to take AB away from Hicks or Arcia

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Tim Shibuya needs to be bumped up a notch. Pretty much agree with clutterheart. Might as well move a few people to a level that suits their achievements.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ben Revere's hot streak may be encouraging, but beneath the surface it's not all too great. Only 1 of his 29 hits this season has been a XBH. All he has been hitting are singles and his slugging % is still ugly. Revere also has trouble drawing walks as well.
    His stat line for triple A: .322/.354/.333 or Great/Acceptable/Bad

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I never trust a pitching pefromance by older players against younger players. No idea what to do with Benson, but it makes me sad. I was hoping he would be ready this year.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I never trust a pitching pefromance by older players against younger players.
    This must be why Pavano is dominating this year.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 05-16-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that prospect rankings (myself included) do not give enough credit to four-year college guys. Guys like Shibuya and Dozier who went all four years and then got drafted. They come out already 1 year older than most of the college guys drafted and get put in the low levels. The Twins and Brian Dozier remedied that by him being promoted pretty quickly. After signing they play for E-town, and that's fine, just an adjustment to pro ball. Dozier didn't spend more than 8-10 weeks in Beloit before moving up to Ft. Myers. Suddenly his age isn't quite as big of an issue, but it wasn't until he got to AA last year that he was where he "should" have been by prospect rankers. I'd keep Shibuya in Beloit until the all-star break, as they typically do and then move him up if he's still pitching this well.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Seth, love your passion and work, but this is an area we disagree. I don't think Boer, for example, got anything out of dominating a bunch of 17-19 year olds last year. I do agree with your statement that moving them quickly makes up for their lower start, that part makes sense.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Seth, love your passion and work, but this is an area we disagree. I don't think Boer, for example, got anything out of dominating a bunch of 17-19 year olds last year. I do agree with your statement that moving them quickly makes up for their lower start, that part makes sense.
    It's not like Boer pitched well when he went to Beloit last year... and it's not like Summers figured out the Midwest League instantly this year... I mean, if they're not pitching well over something a little longer than a small sample, whats' the rush? That's my only point. It's not about getting them to the big leagues faster... it's about them being ready when they get there... or at least it should be.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Reason Beloit continues to win is their pitching, not just all sano and Rosario.
    So far these are Beloits starters Average innings pitched per start
    Shibuya: 5.5 innings per start
    Gruver:5 innings per start
    Wheeler:5.4 innings per start
    Summers:5.5 innings per start
    Matt Tomshaw:4.2 innings per start, has pitched 5, and 6 innings as a starter in his most recent performances.