Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official: Morneau Activated, Parmelee Optioned

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Official: Morneau Activated, Parmelee Optioned

From the Twins Twitter Feed:

#Twins to reinstate Justin Morneau from 15-day DL prior to tomorrow night's game in Detroit. Option Chris Parmelee to Triple-A Rochester.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee needs to find his groove. Glad that he'll get that chance. Morneau needs to come out of the gate hitting--doubt that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Glad to have the Canuck back.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    And another prospect isn't worthy, YET....super depressing three years for the minors.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    I would think this would indicate that the Twins are going to count on Morneau to play in the field more than before he went on the DL.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Are we absolutely sure 13 pitchers is enough?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Are we absolutely sure 13 pitchers is enough?
    I know your comment is made in jest, but look at the Twins pitching stats. The RPs are outperforming the SPs, hands down. Should the Twins consider going fully Billy Martin- Oakland As Edition- and employ a 3x3 pitching alignment? It has to be far better than what the starters are giving them now, right? I mean seriously, who wasn't embarrassed for the club watching Marquis labor today into the 5th inning and turn the Indians into the 1927 Yankees?
    Last edited by jokin; 05-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Parmalee makes the most sense. He was just hopeless. Marquis is Marquis - just a dismal excuse for a starting pitcher. And, did anyone catch Gardenhire's justification for sending out Capps in the Strib - "That's the way it's always done around here and will always be done"? What a stupid *******. Nothing like a defiant piece of garbage. Does anyone have a contact address for the Pohlads? That quote by itself is a firing offense, it's a gross insult to the fans, and the entire organization.

Senior Member MVP
    I think it is time to go all relievers all the time. 1-3 innings each
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by Montecore View Post
    Parmalee makes the most sense. He was just hopeless. Marquis is Marquis - just a dismal excuse for a starting pitcher. And, did anyone catch Gardenhire's justification for sending out Capps in the Strib - "That's the way it's always done around here and will always be done"? What a stupid *******. Nothing like a defiant piece of garbage. Does anyone have a contact address for the Pohlads? That quote by itself is a firing offense, it's a gross insult to the fans, and the entire organization.
    I actually have no problem with "the closer" getting the 9th in a tie game at home. The problem is our "closer" isn't all that good. Blame that on TR.

Senior Member MVP
    Isn't that how you should use a closer? I am confused. How would you use a closer in a tie game at home?
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diamond and Walters and then three defaulters.

While I'd prefer to see Perkins in that situation, I don't really have a problem with Gardy's decision to use Capps. You should have confidence that your closer can go out and hang a zero on the board in the ninth inning of a tied game. However, I do agree that Gardy's attitude about the whole thing sucks. If Capps continues to fail in that situation, you can't keep running him out there just because his job title says "Closer". You have to put someone in there who can get the job done.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,268 Times in 679 Posts
    Yeah, that type of comment doesn't endear Gardy to many people. I don't think it's the firing squad type offense you seem to, but I agree sounding inflexible and defiant in the face of what's happening isn't a great strategy.

Two things I heard, but can't confirm:

Lowe through over 100 fastballs (AKA "sinkers") today. 8 pitches were offspeed.

First complete game shutout without a K since Scotty Erickson in the early 90s.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And, did anyone catch Gardenhire's justification for sending out Capps in the Strib - "That's the way it's always done around here and will always be done"? What a stupid *******. Nothing like a defiant piece of garbage. Does anyone have a contact address for the Pohlads? That quote by itself is a firing offense, it's a gross insult to the fans, and the entire organization.
    ---Yawn. He's sticking up for his guys and saying what any manager would say in that situation. We have no idea what's said behind closed doors, but I suspect it's not the same things that are said in response to questions from the media.

Gardy-haters always get so worked up over what he says in press conferences. If you're going to rip on Gardy, fine, but at least do it for something substantive.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Glad to have the Canuck back.
    ---Seconded. There always more debate around Mauer, but I think Morneau's fall has hurt more. He's played so little the last few years, I think people tend to forget how good he really was.

There was a time when he was one of the most feared hitters in the game.

He's the modern day Cam Neely of major league baseball - dominant when healthy, but that was so infrequent that it just leaves you wondering what could have been.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thank goodness. I was tired of watching Parmelee struggle. I hope Morneau performs just as well as he did when the gates opened. He really only struggled right before he landed on the disabled list. Hoping the wrist was the problem, but I can't say I'm optimistic.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,268 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    ---Seconded. There always more debate around Mauer, but I think Morneau's fall has hurt more. He's played so little the last few years, I think people tend to forget how good he really was.

There was a time when he was one of the most feared hitters in the game.

He's the modern day Cam Neely of major league baseball - dominant when healthy, but that was so infrequent that it just leaves you wondering what could have been.
    Hockey analogies, wow! I agree with you completely, Morneau has been my favorite Twin for years (complete homer) , it's hard to watch him be a shadow of his former self and still be relatively so young. I like Mauer but Morneau always had a more "scare the crap out of you" aura about him. That 2 homer game against the Yankees earlier had me hoping he was on his way back, I'm still hopeful but I'm also realistic.

Capps in the ninth. Yes, you want to shut them down with the potential to win in the bottom of the inning. Armchair manager says, though, with the weakest part of the order coming up, you want someone that could possibly close the door on the top of the 9th AND the 10th, when the heart of the order will be coming with a percentage must better chance to score. You do Duensing, or Swarzak, or someone that can do 6+ outs if need be and the game keeps going and going and going.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast