Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Andrew Heaney

Andrew Heaney

One name I haven't heard mentioned for a target to draft is Oklahoma State LHP Andrew Heaney. This is probably because he is a control artist and has average stuff with a smaller frame(sounds like a Twins pitcher already!) but I'm still torn. Dispite the obvious negatives he has put up eye popping stats(1.59 ERA, 120Ks to 16BBs in 101 IP, .189 BAA) in a pretty good conference none the less. I know we all want to fire baller but Greg Maddux didn't have outstanding stuff and neither did Mussina, heck Jamie Moyer has been pretty good with mediocre stuff for like 30 years and going. One pure stats he's blowing everyone away. So like I said I'm torn, when Maddux was drafted I'm sure there were the same concerns but now every team in the league would take him in a heart beat. I would say it's too early to draft a guy like that but he will certainly be gone by our supplimental pick and because baseball refuses to let is trade picks it's either at #2 or not have him. Should we take a fliar on him at #2 hoping he's Greg Maddux and being ok if he turns out to be Jamie Moyer? I'm not sure, What does everyone think?

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not at #2, but I am sure that since the Twins have 6 of the top 100 picks, they might draft him... He is probably a supplemental round/second round pick

Almost every mock I have seen has him in the middle of the 1st, especially after his dominating year. Most have him in the 10-20 range. Yes it's possible that he'll make it to our supplemental pick but I was throwing the option out there because he will probably be gone. There's no way you can strike out 120 in 101 innings and not have that gain interest somewhere.

Heaney will go in the top 15 picks this year. He would typically be a late 1st-supp round guy but with the lack of college talent this year, he will go off the board early. There is no reason to take him at #2 though. There would be no justification for that move and I like Heaney a lot.