Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Overpaid is Joe Mauer?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries

How Overpaid is Joe Mauer?

I posted this elsewhere, but thought it was worth general discussion, as well. I've argued that this ridiculous contract has paralyzed the Twins ability to compete until 2018. For #3 hitters, Joe is 6th overall in OBP, but second from the bottom (28th) in slugging percentage, does this sound like the attributes needed of a "typical" batter in the 3-spot?

Mauer's Ranking Versus Other No. 3 Hitters Ranked by OPS (Including Contract)

1) Hamilton 402/455/866/1321 $15.25 Mil

2) Kemp 359/446/726/1173 $10.25

3) Wright 400/489/591/1080 $15.25

4) Votto 319/466/543/1059 $11.41

5) Beltran 298/406/653/1058 $13

6) Ortiz 348/412/614/1026 $14.575

7) Braun 306/386/636/1022 $7.399

8) Dunn 250/393/600/993 $14

9) Joyce 287/374/565/939 $0.499

10) C. Gonzalez 300/378/550/928 $5.43

11) A. Cabrera 315/411/495/906 $4.55

12) Me. Cabrera 348/396/504/900 $6

13) McCutcheon 339/403/496/899 $0.708

14) Reddick 290/338/536/874 $0.485

15) Freeman 284/340/507/847 $0.535

16) Mi. Cabrera 224/345/485/830 $21

17) A-Rod 280/334/424/808 $30

18) Markakis 254/346/455/801 $12.35

19) MAUER 286/406/387/793 $Twenty-Three Million

Last edited by jokin; 05-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whatever happened to regular stats? Batting Average, Doubles, Home Runs, & RBI?

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    I purposely used the "trendy stat-lines" to appease the sabre-geeks

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I purposely used the "trendy stat-lines" to appease the sabre-geeks

I know, I know.........It wasn't intended for you as much as I'm just old school and a bit overwhelmed by all the new data

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    I guess I'm asking what is the "proper" mix of power/timely hitting/ability to get on base for a "typical" #3 hitter. And with applying a salary metric to the mix.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puck34 View Post
    Whatever happened to regular stats? Batting Average, Doubles, Home Runs, & RBI?
    Batting average is right there - .286. His .387 SLG means he hasn't hit many doubles or home runs.

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    So, this doesn't really tell me that he is over paid, more that maybe Gardy should look to move him to a different spot in the batting order, like, maybe #2.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Let's give him a bit more time. If he ends up posting a 135-140 OPS+ again, I think he'll be worth it.

Mauer does things that annoy me (it would be great if he'd turn on a 3-0 pitch once in a while) but I don't think he or his salary are real problems. Even if you think he's overpaid some, he's not overpaid by 23m.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So, this doesn't really tell me that he is over paid, more that maybe Gardy should look to move him to a different spot in the batting order, like, maybe #2.
    Really? Look at the amazing production numbers, in contrast to Mauer's paucity of power, from most of the players above him, (ie, what will McCutcheon command for a contract when he finally escapes Pittsburgh? IMO, on a team like the Pirates, he is the perfect #3 man). In numerous internal batting measures, Mauer is hitting lower marks than even last year's disatrous season, marked by numerous career lows (Check his GB/FB %-- Scary!). Only in walk rates is he hitting career highs. I agree about moving him to a different spot and have advocated the #2 spot since he got here, he never has been a great #3 hitter with the exception of his one (apprently) "career year" in 09. But in moving him to another spot in the batting order, and with his apparent evolution to becoming a half-time catcher, I would argue that he is/would be even MORE overpaid.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. You can't judge a 8-year deal by 33 games. Yes, we'd all like to see more production, but the conclusion that he has "paralyzed" the Twins for the next 6 years is melodramatic and silly.

2. Even if he is as grossly overpaid as claimed, there's nothing that says you can't compete with overpaid guys on your payroll. Barry Zito's contract with the Giants was widely regarded as one of the worst in baseball for years. Yet despite that, they managed to not only compete, but win a World Series.

3. Far too many tears have been shed and tantrums thrown over Mauer's contract. For years I listened to Twins fans whine endlessly about how the team wouldn't pony up to keep its best players. Then they did with Mauer, and it's been a nonstop hissyfit about him being overpaid. Welcome to big league baseball, folks. You either pay big bucks to keep your best players, or somebody else will. And yes, you'll end up overpaying for some guys. It's just not realistic to think you can field a team of all-stars with league-minimum contracts.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Let's give him a bit more time. If he ends up posting a 135-140 OPS+ again, I think he'll be worth it.

Mauer does things that annoy me (it would be great if he'd turn on a 3-0 pitch once in a while) but I don't think he or his salary are real problems. Even if you think he's overpaid some, he's not overpaid by 23m.
    Speaking of annoying, how about swinging on those first pitch meatballs down mainstreet? It seems that Mauer's goal in every at bat is to draw a walk, rather than taking an agressive approach, the result is he looks for one kind of pitch in his preferred zone and then swings one way and resultantly ends up with ground ball after ground ball.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 592 Times in 320 Posts
    What is it the you guys want the Twins to do about it? All the endless hand wringing and moaning about Joe's contract fascinates me, it's done, get over it.

You guys are right, is that what you want, recognition? A gold star? I've said it before, I'll say it again, all of this bitching is in hindsight and everybody is perfect in hindsight. He's not the 1st guy to get overpaid, he's not the last.

Big baseball contacts are based on past success which is rarely repeated, they are doomed from the start, it's an accepted culture.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    In this mourning's edition of USA TODAY,
    Freudian slip?

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    1. You can't judge a 8-year deal by 33 games. Yes, we'd all like to see more production, but the conclusion that he has "paralyzed" the Twins for the next 6 years is melodramatic and silly.

2. Even if he is as grossly overpaid as claimed, there's nothing that says you can't compete with overpaid guys on your payroll. Barry Zito's contract with the Giants was widely regarded as one of the worst in baseball for years. Yet despite that, they managed to not only compete, but win a World Series.

3. Far too many tears have been shed and tantrums thrown over Mauer's contract. For years I listened to Twins fans whine endlessly about how the team wouldn't pony up to keep its best players. Then they did with Mauer, and it's been a nonstop hissyfit about him being overpaid. Welcome to big league baseball, folks. You either pay big bucks to keep your best players, or somebody else will. And yes, you'll end up overpaying for some guys. It's just not realistic to think you can field a team of all-stars with league-minimum contracts.
    I haven't instilled any melodrama in my comments, pretty much just facts. You have instilled few facts into the discussion and gone emotionally bombastic in the other direction.

1) I agree with your point, but you completely ignore the facts on the table. Mauer's health and production have fallen off markedly since Shapiro held up the Twins. This risk was not properly assessed by management and you now have one player who is unable to play his proscribed postition full-time and has a "grossly" (your word) distorted salary that represents about 25% of the entire payroll. Any corporate exec would tell you that tying up one-fourth of your payroll in one unproductive entity for 8 years paralyzes a company's ability to react to changing market conditions. Not silly or melodramatic.

2) Zito's contract was one of the worst, no question, but, as a starting pitcher, Zito only affected 20% of the Giants games and the club was fortunate to have SP depth to fill the breach. This is called "contingency planning" in worst-case scenaros. What was the Twins contingency planning? Oh yeah--trade away Wilson Ramos....

3)No tears or tantrums, hissyfits or whining from me. Refer back to point #2 about proper stewardship of resources for a mid-level-market baseball club.
    Last edited by jokin; 05-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Mauer's contract is about affensive production at defensive scarcity. How many other catchers on that list of #3 hitter sparky?

It wasnt a bad deal then and its still really not that bad of a deal. Not Mauers fault he isnt catching much thus far.

The contract is there, but must be taken out of the equation. He is basically the face of the franchise and needs to be marketed as such, unless you feel we should send him on his ways. I'm sure there is at least one team out there that would absorb his contract for just 115 or so games as a catcher...and they might actually keep batting him third.

But basically Mauer should be considered outside-the-box. Put him in his own category and say the team payroll is....then add Mauer in. His hometown value is/can still be/high. But if I was management, I would look for an opportunity.

The other consideration...Mauer signed thinking the Twins were going to win. Does he want to play 8 seasons on a so-so team? I doubt it. It makes him look all the worse in the long run. It's too bad he can't give any of the money back, or adopt someone each year.

But no one said Twins baseball had to pay him that much except us fans here in town...basically.

He is cute in the Head and Shoulders ads!

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BHtwins View Post
    Mauer's contract is about affensive production at defensive scarcity. How many other catchers on that list of #3 hitter sparky?

It wasnt a bad deal then and its still really not that bad of a deal. Not Mauers fault he isnt catching much thus far.
    Hey Sparkler, there are none. Apparently Mauer's days as a catcher are numbered as well. It is arguable that it was a bad deal then and there is little doubt that it now is widely recognized as one of the top two (at least) worst deals in baseball(See Highabove's post above for just the latest confirmation). Just wishing it weren't true doesn't make it go away. The problem with the deal at the time was that there were strong hints that Mauer's health would always be in question, his leadership ability at a leadership position was non-existent, his personality was "aloof" and his hitting production was frequently untimely or inconsequential. The problem with the deal now goes beyond Mauer's complete power outage, he quite demonstrably is no longer a top-level defensive catcher, which coupled with his apparent unpopularity with the pitching staff makes him more a liability at the position.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Many of us never considered that the payroll would start to plummet so soon after the opening of Target Field. Next years payroll could easily be in the low 80's. Subtract Mauer's contract, and Ryan will have less money to work with then he did at the Dome.
    Last edited by Highabove; 05-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.

The contract is the contract.

Imagine the firestorm that would've erupted if the Twins hadn't signed Mauer. Here's the scenario

Mauer is a local kid drafted #1 by the Twins. In 2009, he won the batting title, hit 28 HRs after sitting out the first month, OPS+ 171.

At the time, no one "knew" 28 HR in 5 months was an "aberration." CW was that Mauer's power would pick up as he became more experienced, etc.

At the time, no one knew Target Field was going to be a pitcher's park or that the difference between the Dome & Target would be so significant.

The contract was signed before the Twins began play in their new ballpark - the one which (the Twins told us) would allow them to generate the revenues required to actually compete.

So "naturally" the first thing the Twins should've done is drive a hard bargain with the 'hometown boy who makes very good' and risk losing him to free agency.

The Twins would've been accused of double-crossing the fans - "the Pohlad family's going to rake in the money and sit on it," etc.

Joe Mauer happened to be negotiating an extension at the best possible time for him - career (to date) season, he hits the equivalent of 32-35 HR, drives in the equivalent of 120 runs, wins the battling title, MVP, etc.

The Twins happen to be negotiating an extension at a less than opportune time for them - moving into a new park where income is going to go up (making it harder to cry "poverty"), when any reluctance on their part to pay the man will be construed as miserly.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast