Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Four from the rest of the central, two higher than Stewart

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Rodon at 10.

Zimmer and Mondesi from KC in the 20s.

But yes, 6 Twins vs. 4 from rest of AL Central.
    Sorry, 5 from the Central, I forgot Frazier from Cleveland.

EDIT: Check that again, Frazier didn't make the list, so it is 4.
    Last edited by drjim; 07-17-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    Papers...business papers.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    With the caveat that midseason rankings aren't as solid as preseason rankings, it was a big surprise to see Berrios #50. Klaw said in a chat about a month ago that he wasn't a top 100 prospect yet. Must have seen something he liked at the futures game.

I don't have any problem with Buxton being #2 to Bryant - Klaw wasn't entirely sure that Buxton shouldn't have been #1 anyway. Let's just hope Buxton finishes the year strong and dominates the AFL. I'm really glad to see a lot of scouting people - Klaw, Sickels, Callis etc - rate Stewart so high.
    Honestly I was surprised with KLaw's paragraph of commentary on Berrios. He draws multiple comparisons to Yordana Ventura in terms of velocity, delivery, size and stuff. Actually even says Berrios' slider is farther along at the same stage. Much more favorable review than I would have expected out of KLaw.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is really surprising that Berrios is that high. KLaw doesn't like the height issue with him for sure, but he must see enough stuff to rank him this high.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is encouraging... For all those Law disciples, maybe this ranking can stop some of the complaining about Kohl Stewart's lack of strikeouts. I like this ranking. I'm good with where Gordon is, though I personally probably won't rank him that high... but we'll see. Berrios at 50 is fine. The rest are fine where they are. Buxton at #2 isn't a bad thing at all.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm really glad to see a lot of scouting people - Klaw, Sickels, Callis etc - rate Stewart so high.
    This x10!

While many on TD are downgrading Stewart's stock because of the lack of SO, he seems to be flying up the charts of other talent evaluators. At 19, I doubt there are many pitchers ahead of Stewart on the list that are 19 years old (and not named Lucas Giolito)!

Senior Member MVP
    19, and a guy that really used to concentrate on football, that's a big key, imo, in judging his progress. Big fan.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In a couple years we can all be screaming about Stewart getting blocked to the majors because of Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May, and Berrios?

9. This user likes ericchri's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    19, and a guy that really used to concentrate on football, that's a big key, imo, in judging his progress. Big fan.
    Absolutely, as well as the focus on his non slider at the moment.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kohl Stewart...#19!!

The thing with Kris Bryant...great avg, power, but strikes out in 27% of his PA. Sabermetrically speaking that's the most consistent stat to continue...he'll likely strike out 30-33% of his PA in a season. So around 180-210 K a year. So maybe a little better AVG than Adam Dunn or Mark Reynolds - but the similar 35-40 HR.

Miguel Sano had 27% as well.

Joey Gallo, the other 80 grade power prospect, is at 32% at A+/AA ball.

To look back at other high HR high K guys, Chris Davis would be comparable. He had 199 K last year in 673 PA last year...he had 24% K rate in his AA/AAA season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Sorry, 5 from the Central, I forgot Frazier from Cleveland.

EDIT: Check that again, Frazier didn't make the list, so it is 4.
    Even more encourating when you look at the standings as well. We have the same record as the White Sox, 3 back from Cleveland, 4 back from KC with a much better pipeline.

Detroit, they are certainly an aging, expensive team. Odds are Max walks at the end of the year. At some point Cabrera has to slow down a bit right? He can't hit .330 with 40 HR when he is 35+. Verlanders best days are behind him. I just wish Texas would not have taken Prince's contract. What were they thinking?

13. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Even more encourating when you look at the standings as well. We have the same record as the White Sox, 3 back from Cleveland, 4 back from KC with a much better pipeline.
    Hey, we're only X games behind these non-playoff teams! And we have a better farm system than them too!

15. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Hey, we're only X games behind these non-playoff teams! And we have a better farm system than them too!
    We don't need to outrun the bear here. And I did make a comment about the Tigers. They could have a tough fall from grace here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Detroit, they are certainly an aging, expensive team. Odds are Max walks at the end of the year. At some point Cabrera has to slow down a bit right? He can't hit .330 with 40 HR when he is 35+. Verlanders best days are behind him. I just wish Texas would not have taken Prince's contract. What were they thinking?
    I hear you but Max Scherzer, Victor Martinez and Torii Hunter are all free agents after this year and all will leave a pretty sizable hole in the team. They'll almost certainly make at least one more poor contract decision this off season to fill them as they have next to no prospects they can plug in.

For fun, my prediction is they keep Scherzer on a terrible 6 year deal and sign Nelson Cruz to an equally terrible four year deal. Let's throw in a three year deal for JJ Hardy as well.

18. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (07-18-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I hear you but Max Scherzer, Victor Martinez and Torii Hunter are all free agents after this year and all will leave a pretty sizable hole in the team. They'll almost certainly make at least one more poor contract decision this off season to fill them as they have next to no prospects they can plug in.

For fun, my prediction is they keep Scherzer on a terrible 6 year deal and sign Nelson Cruz to an equally terrible four year deal. Let's throw in a three year deal for JJ Hardy as well.
    Those are possibilities. But it would have been fun watching Prince another 6-7 years there. He is already struggling and he isn't going to age well.

20. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-17-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Losing Hunter and getting a better player will likely help them.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    This is encouraging... For all those Law disciples, maybe this ranking can stop some of the complaining about Kohl Stewart's lack of strikeouts. I like this ranking. I'm good with where Gordon is, though I personally probably won't rank him that high... but we'll see. Berrios at 50 is fine. The rest are fine where they are. Buxton at #2 isn't a bad thing at all.
    The Stewart ranking has to be the biggest surprise, for me. Not that he's seen an incredible drop-off this season, but I just didn't realize he'd done much to improve his prospect stock. Had I made a list of Prospect Risers and Prospect Sinkers so far this season, I wouldn't have put Stewart's name on either one--which means seeing him at #19 is not something I saw coming.

Certainly no complaints!

EDIT: I'll add I've got no problem with Buxton at #2 and Bryant at #1. Biggest surprise of the Futures Game was that Bryant didn't hit a home run. And I'm confident once Buxton can prove his wrist injury is completely behind him and go back to putting up eye-popping numbers, he'll reclaim the top spot.
    Last edited by Wookiee of the Year; 07-17-2014 at 02:22 PM.

23. This user likes Wookiee of the Year's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-17-2014)

I think we should be pleased at the number of prospects in the top #50. The fact of Buxton being 1 or 2 isnt that big of a deal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Having Buxton at number 2 isn't a big deal to me either, I was simply curious who they had at number 1. I did not realize Bryant was putting up the numbers he was.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't really blame him. I love Buxton, but when you don't play and someone else his .333 with 31 HR and 25 2B in half a season at AA and AAA.....

Also interesting to note that Law has Meyer and Berrios as high as he does (42 and 50). I have heard him suggest on chats that neither will pan out. The logic used on Meyer is that Randy Johnson is basically the only pitcher 6'9 or taller that had a good career as a starter and that Berrios is too short and does not have a downward plane or much movement on the FB.
    For the record, Klaw in his analysis of Meyer, although he loves his FB and Sinker, because of the lack of a third pitch and lack of strike consistency, he still leaves open the possibility that he ultimately ends up as a reliever. (He did say in a seperate article while reviewing the Futures Game, that he thought Meyer had the best movement on both the FB and the Sinker).

For Berrios, he's overall positive on his chances, despite his diminutive size, suggesting he add a fourth pitch, a two-seam FB to his repertoire, and favorably compared him to Yordano Ventura.

The most disturbing review was for Sano, on an issue that some on TD insist and assume is a settled issue with him being at 3B for the next decade:

[For Sano]...the projection remains the same -- 35-40 homer power, .350+ OBPs, most likely in right field or at first base.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast