Thread: Duensing

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts

Duensing

Figured something was up when he pitched 3 full on Wednesday, thought they might be stretching him out. If he can get back to his 2010 numbers it would be welcome, his location and velocity have been great, not that he'll be throwing mid-nineties much as a starter.

Sounds like it might just be a contingency plan because they feel something could be wrong with Pavano, I don't think anyone else is going anywhere at this point, not that they shouldn't mind you.

I like Duensing, what does everyone think?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Figured something was up when he pitched 3 full on Wednesday, thought they might be stretching him out. If he can get back to his 2010 numbers it would be welcome, his location and velocity have been great, not that he'll be throwing mid-nineties much as a starter.

Sounds like it might just be a contingency plan because they feel something could be wrong with Pavano, I don't think anyone else is going anywhere at this point, not that they shouldn't mind you.

I think his track record proves he is much more effective in the bullpen. The way I view it, is if he is going to start there is something seriously wrong going on. I am more comfortable if they keep throwing all these AAA guys in to start and leave duensing in the bullpen. I would rather see swarzak start even though his numbers in the bullpen are not as good. Maybe the team is taking on a new strategy, if there arnt any starters that can get us deep in the game then lets have a bullpen full of long relievers?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 589 Times in 225 Posts
    He isn't going to get back to his 2010 numbers, they were fueled largely by luck (low BABIP and high LOB). His complete ineffectiveness against right-handed hitters would continually get exposed.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I really like Duensing as a reliever -- where he earned the "Dirty Duensing" nickname. There have been reminders this year of why he acquired that label.

But maybe last year was just a bad dream and he would be an effective starter this year. There's certainly no harm in finding out where he fits best in the long run.

Given that the Twins only have Blackburn signed for next year, I'm content to see how Duensing, Swarzak, Walters, Diamond (and any others) can do as starters. The Twins are still going to have to go out and find additional starting pitching somewhere but it doesn't hurt to take a look at what's in the system -- as long as they don't put all their eggs in that basket.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I really like Duensing as a reliever -- where he earned the "Dirty Duensing" nickname. There have been reminders this year of why he acquired that label.

But maybe last year was just a bad dream and he would be an effective starter this year. There's certainly no harm in finding out where he fits best in the long run.

Given that the Twins only have Blackburn signed for next year, I'm content to see how Duensing, Swarzak, Walters, Diamond (and any others) can do as starters. The Twins are still going to have to go out and find additional starting pitching somewhere but it doesn't hurt to take a look at what's in the system -- as long as they don't put all their eggs in that basket.
    I think the Twins know exactly what all of our pitchers can do as Starters. Only player that will maybe pan out is Diamond. The rest would come as a really pleasan surprises. We do have some guys in the lower minors we can definitely put a little faith in, but we really need to reach outside of the org. for several starters that can be consistent for the near future. (and lets all pray baker and gibson can eventually rebound).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    The only question is when do we start cleaning house. Do we wait until the all-star break? Is there anyone that isn't on the trading block besides Joe? I don't see our guys taking the mound to see who earns a spot for next year, rather it is just a matter of who can create some trade value for us this year? It's time for the youth movement. For the last week, when you look up and down the lineup and on the mound, there isn't a lot of Major league experience.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember Baker is not signed for next year and I would only sign him to a reasonable contract with a couple of option years. It takes 2 years for a pitcher to fully recover from TJ surgery, so next year could be a lost season for Scott. 2 years in the 5 - 6 million range with 2 option years should be right. It is frighting to think that #3 starters are now commanding in the $10 million per year range. Hope the Twins can find some pitching in their minor league systems better than I think it is or we will have to make some trades to get some upside prospects in this area.

I like Duensing a lot & think his contributions as a starter in 09/10 were largely overlooked.....but he is best used in the pen. So we weaken 2 spots by putting Brian back into rotation. I want to keep the pen as is (Deolis up for Gray but after that). His 96mph fastball in pen goes back to 91 in rotation & we have plenty of those. Hate the idea. If we need another starter, Im more for goin after Cole DeVries or David Bromberg.

Waldrop is bound to factor into the pen at some point this year, no doubt Duensing is valuable right now in relief but there could be alternatives. What exactly is valuable about where he is right now anyway? To prevent us from losing by more runs? It's not like he's had to come in and keep us in many games or better yet protect a lead.

Frankly, I think Brian Duensing has the most future major league wins and innings in him out of the whole current pitching staff. He appears to have a zen-like control over his emotions on the mound, and his pitches appear to move very deceptively at times. If he can find some repeatable strategies to get right-handers out, I think you have your future #2 starter for years.

Since Twins wont be contenders until at least 2014...Pavano and Marquis dont figure in the equation. Of our current other starters the only one with a potential to be an "ace" type is Liriano--but it is only potential. Baker, Blackburn, Swarzek, Duensing are all mediocre at best. I would start Diamond and Walters (maybe Gibson later this summer) and see what they can do. If he gets his act together at Rochester, bring back Hendricks too. No need to start Swarzek or Duensing.

Liked 1,031 Times in 468 Posts
    Yes, by all means lets take a player out of the role for which he is best suited and in which he has proven so far to be a real asset and put him into a role in which he has already proven to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Yes, by all means lets take a player out of the role for which he is best suited and in which he has proven so far to be a real asset and put him into a role in which he has already proven to struggle.
    As opposed to, by all means let's do nothing because it's all working so well right now? Anything the Twins try right now would be worth it because almost all of it is broke. The asset in the bullpen protecting 6-2 deficits from becoming 10-2 deficits really has no value.

Liked 1,031 Times in 468 Posts
    As opposed to, by all means let's do nothing because it's all working so well right now? Anything the Twins try right now would be worth it because almost all of it is broke. The asset in the bullpen protecting 6-2 deficits from becoming 10-2 deficits really has no value.
    I think we should all be thinking in terms of the long run, not what might be best for the next couple weeks. I hope Twins management is. Not that there's much evidence of that I grant you.

Keep the few major league pitchers the team has in the roles they're successful at and find more major league pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I think we should all be thinking in terms of the long run, not what might be best for the next couple weeks. I hope Twins management is. Not that there's much evidence of that I grant you.

Keep the few major league pitchers the team has in the roles they're successful at and find more major league pitchers.
    Yeah, I'm with you, I want them to think long-term as well, it's just the latter part is going to be difficult. Let's hope there are a couple of guys with value by the deadline.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a terrible decision. Should they move Perkins back too!? Dumb dumb dumb.