Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of Trevor Plouffe

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Future of Trevor Plouffe

Trevor Plouffe became the primary third baseman for the Twins in 2012. If I recall correctly, Plouffe was the last resort for filling the hot corner. In midseason he had a great power surge hitting a Ruthian 18 homers in 39 games from May through early July. He hasn't matched that power since.

While his power hasn't come close to the power surge, his overall game has improved. He now is regarded as adequate as a third baseman, he has improved in using the whole field, and has improved his discipline.

Plouffe recently turned 28. He came to the big leagues as a shortstop, and has played a few games at second and first. He also started a handful of games in the outfield before being installed as the regular third baseman. With the delay in the arrival of megaprospect Miguel Sano, Plouffe figures to be the regular third baseman for the duration of this season. He has suffered a disabling injury and missed 15 days, but he does project to have his all-time high in games played and plate appearances.

Plouffe was arbitration eligible this winter, but wouldn't be a free agent until 2018. It appears that the Twins made a good decision to keep him on the team by tendering a contract.

The club and player have decisions to make with Trevor--Sano is on the horizon, so he might not be long as the regular third baseman. and it will cost more to retain his services each of his remaining "arb years".

The Twins could trade him. He still isn't expensive compared to a free agent and an acquiring team would have team control for three years. The Twins could make Plouffe a bench player or a super-utility player who could fill in at whatever corner vacancy occurred, and if there was no vacancy fill in all over the field giving regulars a day off. Plouffe could be handed a new position, altogether. It looks like there will be at least one corner outfield vacancy. Finally, and most unlikely, Plouffe could continue at third with Sano moved or traded.

I like the progress that Plouffe has made. I think that he should remain a Twin and perhaps be moved to left field. He probably will never again bomb homers like he did in '12, but he is an improving hitter and fielder, who seems to have matured on and off the field. The versatility he presents allow him to potentially solve one of several position problems for the Twins.

I am not a big Plouffe fan but have always hoped Plouffe would come around. There seems to be a lack of alternatives so he will continue to play the hot corner until better options are ready (Sano). His defense has improved but his offense has sputtered since his power surge that you mentioned. Not sure he would fetch much in a trade so his future is likely that of a bench piece. Even in that role he doesn't hold much value in my opinion.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not too sure how to view Plouffe in the way you envision his usefulness in the future.

Sure, it would be great if he was a super utility guy, and also as a corner outfielder, but I have a hard time envisioning these ideas coming to fruition.

1. Plouffe has finally settled in at one position, and has held his own. This has brought
    stability to his career and he is settling in impressively.

2. Terry Ryan admitted 2+ years ago that Plouffe as an Outfielder was a disaster. Why do we keep pushing Plouffe as a Corner OFer? I know things change, but the optimism on this subject is downright ridiculous.

3. I do not think that Sano is a sure shot at 3B. After his TJ surgery, no one can know his overall outcome. The dude will hit HR's, but anything other than that is a guessing game.

4. I view Plouffe as third baseman. If he needs to converted to a different position to make room for upcoming prospects - you should then trade him.

5. This whole converting Plouffe to be an outfielder, roving utility player, is confusing to me. There are no signs of this being a possibility or any writing on the wall indicating as such.

Plouffe is a third baseman. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. These 5 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (07-17-2014), Kwak (07-17-2014), Sconnie (07-16-2014), Spikecurveball (07-16-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-17-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Well, I think we've seen enough of Plouffe to know that he may be adequate on a bad team. He is not a starting 3B on a championship level team. The Twins seem to be happy with accepting mediocrity, and embedding guys like Plouffe in the lineup, but winning teams look to improve when they have a guy like him starting at a key position. I think it's safe to say that he is what he is at this point.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had an original 6 guys that I would pick to trade from (Willingham, Suzuki, Morales, Correia, Fien, and Duensing) but now I would add Plouffe and Escobar as well. Plouffe is not going to get better than he is right now (aside from continual marginal defensive improvement). It just isn't there, but he is OK.

7. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-17-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    Well, I think we've seen enough of Plouffe to know that he may be adequate on a bad team. He is not a starting 3B on a championship level team. The Twins seem to be happy with accepting mediocrity, and embedding guys like Plouffe in the lineup, but winning teams look to improve when they have a guy like him starting at a key position. I think it's safe to say that he is what he is at this point.
    There have been many championship teams who have had much worse players than Plouffe not just at third base, but at every position.

Hot damn! What is with all the Plouffe hate and a grip load of folks thinking he is the the artery blockage of the MN Twins? Pagliarulo and Leius were way more disappointing than Plouffe in 1991. Really??? There are much, much, much bigger fish to fry. (puke)

Blog Entries
    Self Guilt Note: Pags and Leius did a great job in 1991.

Totally agree with Bark's Lounge. This team has had worse players on its "good" rosters. TPlouffe is a big upgrade off the bench from what we have trotted out over the years and have right now, both as a utility player (with experience at several positions, which hasn't been the case for several others), or as a regular in lieu of an injured starter at several positions. He's not the defensive stalwart of LNP (who many here, for many years, vilified as a sure out), but he's versatile, has some pop, and is young and experienced at the same time. And cheap (did I mention cheap?) which, regardless of what many yearn for, still stirs the pot at HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    2. Terry Ryan admitted 2+ years ago that Plouffe as an Outfielder was a disaster. Why do we keep pushing Plouffe as a Corner OFer? I know things change, but the optimism on this subject is downright ridiculous.

Plouffe is a third baseman. Nothing more, nothing less.
    I say keep him on the roster even after Sano is eventually ready. I think he can move around enough to play a corner spot. This year has shown us that the front office has had difficulties having adaquete outfield reserves. The hot trash thats played in the outfield this year would make Plouffey seem like a demigod. I like Plouffe in a utility role and bat off the (post Sano). Flip him two years from now when the kids are up and running.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor Plouffe is 28 with a career triple slash of: .241/.304/.411 (.714) in 1685 appearances. There is no disputing the general and total averageness of these statistics. It's not going to get any better for him.

13. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you offer him arb and hold on to him for at least one more year. Sano is going to need some time in the minors next year anyways, so Plouffe holds down the spot for 2015. If this improvements are for real and continue, he'll have more value next offseason than presently. That also gives the Twins an insurance policy of Sano struggles next season.

15. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-17-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think you offer him arb and hold on to him for at least one more year. Sano is going to need some time in the minors next year anyways, so Plouffe holds down the spot for 2015. If this improvements are for real and continue, he'll have more value next offseason than presently. That also gives the Twins an insurance policy of Sano struggles next season.
    This. Sano is at least a year away, he'll need a few months in the minors to shake the rust off, let Plouffe keep playing, maybe he'll find his home run stroke again and become a valuable trading chip by this time next year.

Side note: Plouffe came up as a shortstop, made it all the way to the majors, and THEN Twins management decided he couldn't be a ML shortstop!!! Why did it take so long?? Why wasn't he playing a different position in the minors??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Perfectly fine stopgap while cheap and waiting for Sano. I suspect Plouffe won't be in his way once Sano is ready.

I was on the move Plouffe to LF idea, but the reality is that he just doesn't hit enough to concern with that. Once his time at 3B is done probably will be time to move on.
    Papers...business papers.

18. This user likes drjim's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

Side note: Plouffe came up as a shortstop, made it all the way to the majors, and THEN Twins management decided he couldn't be a ML shortstop!!! Why did it take so long?? Why wasn't he playing a different position in the minors??
    Alexi Casiila was the 2b of the future Macri was the 3b of the future as Plouffe was coming up through the system. When Macri stalled out, there was Hughes and Valencia for 3b. Last man standing, Plouffe.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    There have been many championship teams who have had much worse players than Plouffe not just at third base, but at every position.

Hot damn! What is with all the Plouffe hate and a grip load of folks thinking he is the the artery blockage of the MN Twins? Pagliarulo and Leius were way more disappointing than Plouffe in 1991. Really??? There are much, much, much bigger fish to fry. (puke)
    I agree that teams that win championships often have guys like Plouffe starting somewhere. However, they are not the type of player you build around. As stated, he's adequate on a bad team, or as a bench player. However, I think the Twins too often try to build around guys like Plouffe and are far too willing to accept mediocrity at too many positions. Take a look at the excitement they seem to have over their starting pitching this year. It's still one of the 5 worst rotations in the majors, for years running now.

21. These 2 users like whydidnt's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-17-2014), Winston Smith (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Trevor Plouffe is 28 with a career triple slash of: .241/.304/.411 (.714) in 1685 appearances. There is no disputing the general and total averageness of these statistics. It's not going to get any better for him.
    I think Trevor Plouffe is the most under-appreciated player on our team. The guy is not Mike Schmidt. I get it. But his OPS the last three years .756, .701, and .727 is average or above average for 3B. I think people on these boards have a distorted view of how thin this position is in the major leagues.

He will never hit #3 on a championship team, but he could start or certainly be a role, depth, or platoon player on one. Heck, the Red Sox last year had Willie Middlebrooks at 3B and his OPS was .696. The guy makes no money and is controllable. And his career OPS against lefties is .820. He has a HR every 25 at bats against lefties. That would put him 300th all time, in a category with Al Kaline, Bobby Bonilla, and Andrew Mccutchen. Helpful when he can play 3B, 1B, LF, RF, or DH, especially on a team with a guy that may not stick at 3B in Sano and a 1B that misses time to injury every year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...n_career.shtml
    Last edited by tobi0040; 07-17-2014 at 08:31 AM.

23. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-17-2014), kdrupp09 (07-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I agree that teams that win championships often have guys like Plouffe starting somewhere. However, they are not the type of player you build around. As stated, he's adequate on a bad team, or as a bench player. However, I think the Twins too often try to build around guys like Plouffe and are far too willing to accept mediocrity at too many positions. Take a look at the excitement they seem to have over their starting pitching this year. It's still one of the 5 worst rotations in the majors, for years running now.
    Sano may not stick at 3B and I have seen too many Mike Lamb's and Tony Bautista's of the world to toss Plouffe to the side. It is a tough position to find a bat even comparable to Plouffe's. Not to mention he should always be in the lineup against lefties.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I think Trevor Plouffe is the most under-appreciated player on our team. The guy is not Mike Schmidt. I get it. But his OPS the last three years .756, .701, and .727 is average or above average for 3B. I think people on these boards have a distorted view of how thin this position is in the major leagues.
    This. Trevor Plouffe is the type of guy you're happy to have on the team until something better comes along. You don't actively pursue a replacement unless something really great is available. He's a league average player and should man third until Sano is ready to take his place.

At that point, trade him or turn him into a utility player depending on how Sano looks.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

He will never hit #3 on a championship team, but he could start or certainly be a role, depth, or platoon player on one. Heck, the Red Sox last year had Willie Middlebrooks at 3B and his OPS was .696. The guy makes no money and is controllable. And his career OPS against lefties is .820. Helpful when he can play 3B, 1B, LF, RF, or DH, especially on a team with a guy that may not stick at 3B in Sano and a 1B that misses time to injury every year.
    This is a great observation and I agree completely. Having Plouffe around as a super utility guy who can get spot starts against tough lefties (I'm looking at you Chris Sale) for Mauer could be a great benefit to this team.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

He will never hit #3 on a championship team, but he could start or certainly be a role, depth, or platoon player on one. Heck, the Red Sox last year had Willie Middlebrooks at 3B and his OPS was .696. The guy makes no money and is controllable. And his career OPS against lefties is .820. He has a HR every 25 at bats against lefties. That would put him 300th all time, in a category with Al Kaline, Bobby Bonilla, and Andrew Mccutchen. Helpful when he can play 3B, 1B, LF, RF, or DH, especially on a team with a guy that may not stick at 3B in Sano and a 1B that misses time to injury every year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...n_career.shtml
    In my humble opinion, I don't think Plouffe and Kaline should be mentioned in the same paragraph. Plouffe is about as average as average can be. He's a filler, a place holder. Other teams are not going to offer the Twins much, if anything for Plouffe and that speaks quite loudly as to his mediocrity. The major leagues may be thin on quality third basemen, but there's nothing thin about Miguel Sano...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast