Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: An All-Star Showing from the Twins

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    Minneapolis is waaaay bigger than Target Field. The Warehouse District was thriving before it was built, and the majority of the city's economy and the hundreds of thousands of people of live here could care less about the Twins.
    I'm not sure about any of your conclusions. The city went all out to get the park, and then to get it built where it was, there can be no doubt that it was acquired for the millions of fan and tourist dollars beyond the thousands of Minneapolitans (maybe that's why they oppose having to pay for it) and the prestige it brought to downtown, especially to build up the Warehouse District. If it wasn't such a big deal, why is it at the nexus of the entire metro public rapid transportation system- which will end up being a multi-multi billion dollar enterprise when it ends up with 6 rail lines?

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'm not sure about any of your conclusions. The city went all out to get the park, and then to get it built where it was, there can be no doubt that it was acquired for the millions of fan and tourist dollars beyond the thousands of Minneapolitans (maybe that's why they oppose having to pay for it) and the prestige it brought to downtown, especially to build up the Warehouse District. If it wasn't such a big deal, why is it at the nexus of the entire metro public rapid transportation system- which will end up being a multi-multi billion dollar enterprise when it ends up with 6 rail lines?
    Because baseball and it's 81 home games from April to October every year is a boon for municipal taxes such as alcoholic beverage and sales taxes that it drives. Medtronic and Honeywell mean far more to the inhabitants of Minneapolis than the Twins and Vikings combined. Sure we all love our sports, and we all pay big money to watch and follow, but I choose my income over my hobbies every time.

Getting back to the subject at hand, I'm very happy for the organization, and it was great to see a strong showing by Twins players and Twins fans alike, despite the poor performance on the field. It appears to have been successful for all of the parties involved (pun intended).
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I have been to a couple all star games now, and Minneapolis/Target field absolutely crushed it in every way.

-Getting around was a breeze, they had a green arrow from the hotels to the ball park, which was genius/simple but allows all the drunks/tired/weary to easily find out how to get to and from the ball park.

-The ammenties at Target field were just top notch as always. That new beer machine was fun to use and they had some awesome food options including an ridiculous bloody Mary that includes a slider or brat on it. Those beer machines actually made the total cost of beers cheaper I believe, $6 got you a full cup of frosty cold bud light.

-Downtown was clean/safe/fun and the parties were second to none. Those fireworks were LOUD we remember thinking it must be pissing off some of the people in town who had to work the next morning.

-The game was fun and made even better by the Perkins 1-2-3 perfect inning. The staff at the ball park were great.

-The Derby was a blast as well, however it still runs a little long IMO and gets a little redundant. It's a shame that Morneau/Dozier didn't make it out of the first round.

-All star game souvieners get an F from me, typically I don't complain about high prices, but good lord: $45 for t-shirts, $60 for hats. There is zero possible way for someone to take a family to that game which is a shame.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I thought Honeywell was no longer headquarted in Minneapolis.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    I thought Honeywell was no longer headquarted in Minneapolis.
    Correct. After the Allied Signal merger the HQ is in New Jersey. And ATK's HQ is in Virginia.

Things have changed a lot since I worked there.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12