Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Futures Game

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    KLAW was not impressed with Vargas, said Berrios was flat and continues to worry about him, and it is hard to say much about Meyer.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    KLAW was not impressed with Vargas, said Berrios was flat and continues to worry about him, and it is hard to say much about Meyer.
    Sounds like a ringing endorsement for each of them given KLAW's past criticisms.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Mocking the Vargas double was a little unfair, that was a rope. But he did look a little overmatched on stuff on the outer half.

Berrios had much better reviews from other analysts at the game. My personal view is that his fastball wasn't as straight as I thought it would be and change was great too. Breaking ball left a little to be desired.
    Papers...business papers.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was so bloody disappointed that Berrios didn't go out for the second inning. I wanted to see how he fared after batters got a better look at him.

Was pretty unimpressed with Meyer. Nice fastball velo but he wasn't fooling anybody.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Man - really great to watch the prospects play. It's such a small sample size, and there were lots of mismatches (AAA pitching vs. A batters and vice versa). The Cubs SS Baez looked really good.
    Pitching for the most part made the hitters look foolish, even Kris Bryant, the top prospect to play in the game yesterday looked lost at times.

Gallo's homer cracked the windshield of a Chevy truck that was on the plaza for a giveaway, a bunch of people were taking snapshots of it after the game.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I was so bloody disappointed that Berrios didn't go out for the second inning. I wanted to see how he fared after batters got a better look at him.

Was pretty unimpressed with Meyer. Nice fastball velo but he wasn't fooling anybody.
    As Tom Kelly told his US team players, "you're all entertainers, now go put on a show." And just like all entertainers, for the Futures Game, the idea for pitchers is to always leave the audience wanting more.

As for Meyer, he also was part of the "entertainment", he announced before the game that he was only going to throw the heater. I think it's pretty hard to leave with any impression of Meyer, as a "pitcher" anyways, after only 4 pitches, all of which he tipped to the World team plenty in advance of what was coming.

As for Vargas, I thought he legged out his double far beyond my expectations, he doesn't look nearly as overweight as one might suspect a 275 pounder would look. And he was matching Gallo and Bryant in batting practice for Home Run prodigiousness.

7. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    As Tom Kelly told his US team players, "you're all entertainers, now go put on a show." And just like all entertainers, for the Futures Game, the idea for pitchers is to always leave the audience wanting more.

As for Meyer, he also was part of the "entertainment", he announced before the game that he was only going to throw the heater. I think it's pretty hard to leave with any impression of Meyer, as a "pitcher" anyways, after only 4 pitches, all of which he tipped to the World team plenty in advance of what was coming.

As for Vargas, I thought he legged out his double far beyond my expectations, he doesn't look nearly as overweight as one might suspect a 275 pounder would look. And he was matching Gallo and Bryant in batting practice for Home Run prodigiousness.
    I forget who the USA team had in RF, but he had a strong throw back in on that Vargas double - I was surprised by the throw and that Vargas beat it out (the infielder covering 2nd didn't hold onto it, but I think Vargas would've been safe regardless). Vargas hit it pretty solidly, but I was thinking it would have been a single since the RF was playing deeper.

Liked 141 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I forget who the USA team had in RF, but he had a strong throw back in on that Vargas double - I was surprised by the throw and that Vargas beat it out (the infielder covering 2nd didn't hold onto it, but I think Vargas would've been safe regardless). Vargas hit it pretty solidly, but I was thinking it would have been a single since the RF was playing deeper.
    The double from Vargas was a really nice hit. He definitely had the throw beat too, but it was close and a really nice throw was needed to even make it close.

Overall, it was a fun time. I am glad that I got to be there.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Vargas defense looked a lot better than the las time I saw him. I think he could play there everyday if needed.

If you playing in the futures game, people outside the org. Think you can play at the MLB level one day. It encouraging that we have had 6 players picked in the last 2 years.

11. This user likes maxisagod's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (07-14-2014)

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    I was there with my son and had a great time!
    My son is 26 and we had a great day together! Reliving past games together and watching the future players coming up.
    Celebrity softball game was a lot of fun and I won't forget Adrian Peterson's eyes after the Jennie Finch high riser And Nelly? He plays really good!
    Fanfest with my 5 yr. old Granddaughter today

13. This user likes Jerr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (07-14-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    That 275 pounds Vargas is carrying looks solid as hell to me. Guy just looks like a masher.

I thought he resembled Howard over Ortiz, but I will take either resemblance

photo.jpg

This is what Gallo did to that truck. Can't figure out how to rotate the pic - sorry!

17. These 2 users like Mike Frasier Law's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (07-14-2014), twinsfan34 (07-14-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Mocking the Vargas double was a little unfair, that was a rope. But he did look a little overmatched on stuff on the outer half.
    It was a rope but did it seem to anyone else like he lingered too long at home plate before getting his b*tt in gear around the bases?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frasier Law View Post
    photo.jpg

This is what Gallo did to that truck. Can't figure out how to rotate the pic - sorry!
    I saw it hit, but didn't realize it took out the rear tires!!!!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    The RF, I believe, was Hunter Renfroe, 1st round pick of the Padres, who is said to be able to play CF as well, but by one account is major league ready in RF. Rated with a 60/60 or 80/80 arm by the services I looked up.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The RF, I believe, was Hunter Renfroe, 1st round pick of the Padres, who is said to be able to play CF as well, but by one account is major league ready in RF. Rated with a 60/60 or 80/80 arm by the services I looked up.
    I believe it! I don't recall if he had another chance to throw someone out, but that throw was pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12