Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Gardy gives rehab timetable for Santana

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gardy gives rehab timetable for Santana

While it was previously reported on mlb.com that Danny Santana was working out with the GCL Twins, nothing official was stated by Rob Antony as to when he would begin getting into games:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...k_mlb&c_id=mlb

Today in the pregame interview sessions, Mike Berardino (https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/st...87055626747905) is quoting Ron Gardenhire noting that Santana will play 3 or 4 innings with Ft Myers in the FSL tomorrow, Monday, with an ASG day off on Tuesday, and working towards a goal of playing all 9 innings with the Miracle on Thursday. That of course sets up the possibility that he would be ready for a major league recall on Friday, but the Twins have the option of extending his rehab stint for up to 20 days beyond the end of his DL stint of 15 days.

Also of interest, but apparently either not asked, or not answered, was what position Santana might be playing during his rehab stint, and what the plans were for Santana upon his assumed return to the Twins.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Hmmm...I wonder who's on hand in Denver to clarify the real dope from Gardy's previous quote to the reporter? Whatever the case, it looks like Santana will resume a similar role since before the injury.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am assuming/guessing that Santana will split time between CF and SS. Escobar will play SS when Santana doesn't and backup 3B and 2B. Perhaps(I would like to see) Plouffe gets a little time in LF. Since the Twins will likely be sellers as the trade deadline approaches, trades may change this a bit. I think Willingham is probably the only position player likely traded, but you never know.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    What does that mean for Buxtons rehab in CF? Does Buxton get work in RF or moved to AA on Monday to continue CF play?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll probably sit. He's done plenty of that since being activated. Rainouts, doubleheaders etc.

Certainly not connected to this--I checked out the Miracle box score and FtM beat Dunedin in a DH and the losing pitcher in the nitecap was Frank Viola (I presume he's Frank's son).

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    What does that mean for Buxtons rehab in CF? Does Buxton get work in RF or moved to AA on Monday to continue CF play?
    It looks like the Twins are taking a verrrry slow and cautious approach to Buxton's return- and probably with good reason, that was quite a bit of time off for that wrist, and I'm sure they don't wish further complications or the chance for surgery to arise. He hasn't played all 9 innings in a game yet, and he's sat a few games. Plus, it looks like it will take a while to get his timing back, so he's probably going to be at Ft Myers for a while. Presumably, if all goes well for Santana's knee, he'll be out of there after Thursday, so Santana should have little effect on Buxton, except maybe to get him juiced to get it in gear when he sees Santana heading to Minny.