Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Article: A Tale of Two Gibsons

  1. #1
    Senior Member Double-A iTwins's Avatar
    Posts
    153
    Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Like
    12
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Article: A Tale of Two Gibsons


  2. This user likes iTwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    USAFChief (07-13-2014)

  3. #2
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,112
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Really well done. Great breakdown.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    432
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Data overload! Amazing work on the article. I was at the game on 06/18 in Boston and it was the best I've seem him pitch. The Sox couldn't touch him.

  5. #4
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,325
    Like
    1,303
    Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Reposted from when this was a blog entry:

    Hopefully, Gibson can improve on these results as he continues to learn and grow. He’ll need to learn how to pitch when his best stuff just isn’t with him – even Kevin Correia and Ricky Nolasco can turn in quality outings when their command is evading them.

    I wonder if last night wasn't part of that learning process.

    Len 3 tweeted:
    LaVelle E. Neal III @LaVelleNeal · 20h

    Gibson was solid but not spectacular. Failure to throw strike one kept him from pitching deeper in game.

    So even though he apparently didn't have his best stuff, he perservered.

    Thanks for all the analysis. It'll be interesting to follow this the rest of the season.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A Thegrin's Avatar
    Posts
    376
    Like
    0
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    This post confirms what I have felt about Gibson all season. Gibson is his own worst enemy. He has a very good sinker and a good fastball, but he looses focus when his control is not the best. He thinks about his results instead of "trusting his stuff". This causes him to continue having control problems. He has to learn to focus on what he is going to throw and where he is going to throw it instead of thinking about what he just threw and where he threw it.
    The game in Seattle was a very positive sign. He did not have his best stuff, but still he kept pitching himself out of trouble. Maybe he has learned some things. If he has, we can look forward to a very good second half from Gibson.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Reposted from when this was a blog entry:

    Hopefully, Gibson can improve on these results as he continues to learn and grow. He’ll need to learn how to pitch when his best stuff just isn’t with him – even Kevin Correia and Ricky Nolasco can turn in quality outings when their command is evading them.

    I wonder if last night wasn't part of that learning process.

    Len 3 tweeted:
    LaVelle E. Neal III @LaVelleNeal · 20h

    Gibson was solid but not spectacular. Failure to throw strike one kept him from pitching deeper in game.

    So even though he apparently didn't have his best stuff, he perservered.

    Thanks for all the analysis. It'll be interesting to follow this the rest of the season.
    Also reposting my response from the blog entry. While it's hard to argue with 6 innings of shut out ball, in a low leverage game like that you'd hope he could go a little deeper. Gibson was able to work out of the jams he put himself in though.

  8. #7
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,325
    Like
    1,303
    Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naobermiller View Post
    Also reposting my response from the blog entry. While it's hard to argue with 6 innings of shut out ball, in a low leverage game like that you'd hope he could go a little deeper. Gibson was able to work out of the jams he put himself in though.
    I hope the start in Seattle was a sign of growing maturity. Figuring out that even if he doesn't have his best stuff, he can keep the game in reach.

    I see it as a positive sign. But he's got a lot of learning still to do. The key is finding out how to keep those good outings while keeping it going when things aren't so good.

    I guess I think that's why it'll be interesting to see this develop. I agree that it is unusual to see such a bold line of demarcation between the good & the bad but I do see the last outing as somewhere between the two (even though the results fell on the good side).

    We have the contrast between Pino who has seemingly learned the craftiness to get through some of the bad and Gibson who is still young enough that he has a lot to learn that craft. It's part of maturing as a pitcher, I think.

  9. #8
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,643
    Like
    930
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Great write up.

    He looked liked a pretty mature pitcher last night, he struggled a bit but most importantly he placed his pitches when he needed to place them, something he didn't do much of at all last season.

  10. #9
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,077
    Like
    4,524
    Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Great article. It reminds me of a Parker Hagueman piece, which I always learn from. Well done!

  11. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    279
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    A few more observations. The league average for quality starts is .50. Gibson is at .56. Hughes is only at .61 and for the Correia detractors he is at .56 also which is where he was last year. In other words, not ace material but better than average. I would imagine based on quality starts it puts him at least as a #3 pitcher. Gibson has a 6 ERA with more than 5 days rest but looks like he is at his best with exactly 5 days off and there seems to be a consensus with announcers that you don't want sinkerballers to have too much rest so this may be one of the significant factors. His ERA is 21 at domed stadiums and he pitches better in the daytime.

  12. #11
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,607
    Like
    3,679
    Liked 3,166 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Quality work, iTwins! This is the kind of stuff that helps make TD such a great place. Thanks!
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  13. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,643
    Like
    3
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    A few more observations. The league average for quality starts is .50. Gibson is at .56. Hughes is only at .61 and for the Correia detractors he is at .56 also which is where he was last year. In other words, not ace material but better than average. I would imagine based on quality starts it puts him at least as a #3 pitcher. Gibson has a 6 ERA with more than 5 days rest but looks like he is at his best with exactly 5 days off and there seems to be a consensus with announcers that you don't want sinkerballers to have too much rest so this may be one of the significant factors. His ERA is 21 at domed stadiums and he pitches better in the daytime.
    League average for quality starts is not a good measure for judging a starter -- it fails to account at all for the pitcher's performance in nearly half of his starts! Judging by his overall numbers, Correia must be pretty bad in his other starts (not to mention, how often does one greatly exceed the qualty start definition and give his team an excellent chance of winning).

    There is nothing here that isn't captured better than the overall numbers, really.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.