Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pino Optioned

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pino Optioned

Congratulations, Yohan! You won your first game as a major leaguer, now you get to go to Rochester, NY for 10 days. Kris Johnson gets the start on Friday.

In other roster news, Danny Santana is in Florida and the plan is for him to work out with the Gulf Coast team and then rehab with the Miracle. It is possible that he could be ready when the season resumes after the All-Star break. Mauer is improving, but not likely to be ready to be activated when he is eligible after the break.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 07-11-2014 at 12:57 AM.

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This was expected. Hopefully Twins will have one of the prospects up after the break.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Pino deserves another start or two. 5 starts, 3 very good ones, one terrible and one mediocre. Still a spot in rotation for may/Meyer with the nolasco injury.

This is non-news. He's not getting demoted in anything other than paperwork. He'll get "promoted" when it's his turn to start again, which will be after the rest of the rotation have made their starts after the all-star break.

It sucks for him, though, wrt pay.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Cost him $3000 a day (about) that he's not on the major league club.

Sorry about that $30k, Yohan.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pino looks like a guy that will provide some nice depth to the organization. Pretty soon May will be a fixture, and Meyer should be except the inning limit might prevent that this year. He seems like a good option when you need a few starts when someone goes down, or needs to be sent down.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    It's pretty clear that Pino has learned something about pitching.

Very impressed by the way he worked his way out of jams last night.

After so many years of toiling in the minors, I'm glad that he has gotten an opportunity to show that he can have some success at the major league level.

And yeah, it s*cks that he's taking a major pay cut with the option.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Pino deserves another start or two. 5 starts, 3 very good ones, one terrible and one mediocre.
    I don't know that I'd call last night's start "very good." He used 100 pitches to get through 5 innings. He did manage to leave the bases loaded twice; otherwise, it would have been a much different game. My comfort factor with his pitching last night was pretty low.

10. These 3 users like gil4's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-11-2014), USAFChief (07-11-2014), Willihammer (07-11-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    I don't know that I'd call last night's start "very good." He used 100 pitches to get through 5 innings. He did manage to leave the bases loaded twice; otherwise, it would have been a much different game. My comfort factor with his pitching last night was pretty low.
    Yeah... The only start from Pino that I'd classify as "very good" was his first. 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. Maybe his 6 IP start as well but I really struggle to call a 6 IP start "very good".

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    This is why your number 5 pitcher and some bullpen guys should have options. So you can use AAA as depth. Good move by the Twins.

13. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-11-2014), gil4 (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Yeah... The only start from Pino that I'd classify as "very good" was his first. 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K. Maybe his 6 IP start as well but I really struggle to call a 6 IP start "very good".
    I'm all about results: in 3 starts he has given up 2 or less runs, that is very good in my book.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm all about results: in 3 starts he has given up 2 or less runs, that is very good in my book.
    Good, but if a pitcher is going only 6 IP, I expect a lot more swings and misses than Pino has gotten in most starts. Wood hitting ball can work out for a few starts but overall, it will equalize back to the mean unless the swinging strike percentage goes up. He has a swinging strike percentage below Gibson but only 34% of his contact is killing worms (compared to Gibson's 54%).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    I think people are talking about two different things - his end results were good in three starts, but he didn't pitch "very good". In all three of those starts the margin of error for those going pumpkin was incredibly small.

I'm glad he got some starts, but he was primed to go Albers very quickly.

17. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll echo the sentiments of gil and Brock above. Outside of that debut, Pino's starts have been acceptable but that's about it.

And I think he is starting to highlight why he was not the best candidate for promotion: even when he's generating acceptable results in the short term, these performances are telling us virtually nothing going forward. Given his age and track record, there's almost no way we can count on him as a starter in 2015. At best he seems to be auditioning to stay on the 40-man roster this winter as a bullpen option or AAA depth, but it seems a little excessive to use a permanent rotation spot for such an audition now with actual potential 2015 rotation candidates waiting in the wings at AAA. Let Pino spot start (like Johnson?) or get innings out of the pen instead.

This reminds me a lot of Albers' decent run at the end of 2013, or PJ Walters solid start in 2012 -- acceptable results, but no bearing on the Twins future. At least in those two cases, the Twins were mostly bereft of other starting options at the time.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    This reminds me a lot of Albers' decent run at the end of 2013, or PJ Walters solid start in 2012 -- acceptable results, but no bearing on the Twins future. At least in those two cases, the Twins were mostly bereft of other starting options at the time.
    I disagree that they had no bearing on the Twins' future, as Albers is gone and Walters is now at the bottom of the depth chart.

I have few issues with the Twins taking flyers on guys in June or early July to see if anyone sticks a la Scott Diamond. If it continues through late July and into August, then I take issue.

Still a lot of ball left to be played. May will get his shot. Meyer will probably get his shot.

20. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-11-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This is why your number 5 pitcher and some bullpen guys should have options. So you can use AAA as depth. Good move by the Twins.
    Yep, this is how successful teams do it and always avoid 13 or 14 man pitching staffs, which then, meanwhile, leaves you with only Fryer or Fuld to pinch hit for Florimon. I don't understand anyone being too upset over Pino being optioned out- I'm sure he gets that it's part of the game and is very grateful to finally get his big league chance. Bringing Johnson in tonight for Nolasco, while keeping an additional bench spot available in an NL city....very adroit move by Terry Ryan.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Bringing Johnson in tonight for Nolasco, while keeping an additional bench spot available in an NL city....very adroit move by Terry Ryan.
    He has been very aggressive with these types of roster moves in the past 4-6 weeks. A welcome change, for sure.

Blog Entries
    I disagree that they had no bearing on the Twins' future, as Albers is gone and Walters is now at the bottom of the depth chart.

I have few issues with the Twins taking flyers on guys in June or early July to see if anyone sticks a la Scott Diamond. If it continues through late July and into August, then I take issue.

Still a lot of ball left to be played. May will get his shot. Meyer will probably get his shot.
    Walters is on the bottom of some else's depth chart. He opposed the Red Wings recently (within the last week I think). He is with the Buffalo Bison.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good, but if a pitcher is going only 6 IP, I expect a lot more swings and misses than Pino has gotten in most starts. Wood hitting ball can work out for a few starts but overall, it will equalize back to the mean unless the swinging strike percentage goes up. He has a swinging strike percentage below Gibson but only 34% of his contact is killing worms (compared to Gibson's 54%).
    Doesn't Pino have the highest or second highest K rate in the rotation? His WHIP is 1.35 which is a little high but overall he has been solid.

Blog Entries
    On the subject of Pino, he's OK as a fifth starter. I think he's a bit better version of the guys mentioned earlier and he has a history as a bullpen guy, so he may be able to last a while as a swing man (5th-6th starter & long man).

I also was going to note that if the Twins have a position player or bullpen guy they want up, they can option Johnson after today's game and still have him available to start after the break. I would assume that the Twins go Gibson, Correia, Hughes as the first three starters after the All-Star game. They can recall Pino on time on the 21st and they could recall Johnson if they wanted him to start again on the 22nd. I just don't know who they would recall as a bullpen arm or bench player.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast