Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Tanaka - Partial UCL tear -- Rehab first; TJ not ruled out

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts

Tanaka - Partial UCL tear -- Rehab first; TJ not ruled out

And another one bites the dust (at least for 6 weeks):

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 1h
    Cashman said Tanaka has seen three doctors - Ahmad, Altcheck and one more. All three diagnose a partially torn ligament in throwing arm.

One PRP injection and throwing program has been recommended. It's considered a small ligament tear for Tanaka. TJ surgery not ruled out.

Daniel Barbarisi ‏@DanBarbarisi 1h
    Cashman says if rehab goes well, tanaka could be back on mound in 6 weeks.

Cashman said it's Tanaka's UCL.

Cashman said the tear in Tanaka's ligament is a new injury. It was not there on the January MRI before he signed his $155 million deal.

Sweeny Murti ‏@YankeesWFAN 57m
    To clarify, Cashman said surgery "could become an option" if rehab does not work.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 49m
    Even if Tanaka completes successful rehab in 6 weeks, per reports, he'd then have to rebuild arm strength. Barely any season left.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 12m
    PRP has had some therapeutic success, but serious doubts persist about its overall effectiveness rate with UCL injuries.

Here's a little story from mlb trade rumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-ligament.html

Twins aren't the only ones to try conservative treatment first.
    Wonder what the odds are that he'll need TJ??
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 07-10-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh wow. That really sucks for the Yankees and Tanaka.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It does but my sympathy level is significantly higher for Tanaka than for the Yankees.

4. These 8 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (07-11-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (07-11-2014), Danchat (07-13-2014), gunnarthor (07-11-2014), iTwins (07-11-2014), nicksaviking (07-11-2014), Sconnie (07-10-2014), Tibs (07-12-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 95 Times in 53 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds exactly like Pat Neshak's injury.....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 222 Times in 97 Posts
    Terry, strike while the iron is hot! Trade them Correia!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It sucks for anyone who loves baseball when an exciting player having a fantastic year has it abruptly and negatively changed by injury. We are reading about UCL injuries almost every day now. I don't know why, perhaps because it's affecting what had started out to be a historic season, but this particular ACL injury feels like the one that broke the camel's back for me to make me feel worse about the rash of elbow injuries being suffered by great (and not-so-great) players.

Tangent for the old-timers: how much closer would Jim Kaat have been to the Hall of Fame if his 1972 season hadn't been ended by breaking his wrist sliding into second to break up a double play? For those who aren't familiar, look up his statistics for that year (look at batting, also) and project them to a full year, then look at what happens to his career stats.

It's always a shame when players having great seasons have unfortunate injuries.
    Last edited by Deduno Abides; 07-10-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    "Where's the Crede?"

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate the Yankees, but this sucks. I will be shocked if he doesn't end up having TJ surgery. Barely three months in MLB and he's on the shelf.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    If this was a Twins player everyone would be complaining about this wait and see approach.

I mean look how that worked for Sano, Neshek and countless others throughout the years.

10. This user likes drock2190's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (07-11-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    It does but my sympathy level is significantly higher for Tanaka than for the Yankees.
    Overall, I'm pretty neutral.

Sympathy for Tanaka (scale of 1 to 10): 6

Sympathy for Yankees (scale of 1 to 10): -14

12. These 5 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (07-11-2014), Danchat (07-13-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-11-2014), ericchri (07-11-2014), JB_Iowa (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    If this was a Twins player everyone would be complaining about this wait and see approach.

I mean look how that worked for Sano, Neshek and countless others throughout the years.
    But it's pretty much the accepted medical path. I believe Ervin Santana had a successful "wait and see" that didn't result in TJ surgery. I'm sure others have as well but he's the only one I can really remember.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    But it's pretty much the accepted medical path. I believe Ervin Santana had a successful "wait and see" that didn't result in TJ surgery. I'm sure others have as well but he's the only one I can really remember.
    He's the only one I can think of who is currently pitching. From a team's perspective, I don't particularly like the wait and see approach as it seems to be a terribly long-shot of a gamble and the payoff is only being able to play in a half-season's worth of extra games.

However from a player's perspective, you have to do it. It's easy to talk surgery in an abstract way but if it's me getting knocked out and sawed open followed by months of not having a fully functional arm, I'm taking my sweet time making up my mind.

15. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (07-11-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    What is remarkable is the Yankees had an MRI done before the season and it was clean. The UCL tear is solely due to what Tanaka has done as a Yankee. Is there something particular to MLB training that is causing UCL tears to happen more often?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    The US handles its pitchers very, very differently than Japan does. That maybe should be looked at, but I'm not sure if either side is better. But, that might have had an impact on Tanaka (pure speculation).
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The US handles its pitchers very, very differently than Japan does. That maybe should be looked at, but I'm not sure if either side is better. But, that might have had an impact on Tanaka (pure speculation).
    The guy had also pitched over 1300 professional innings before he donned a Yankees uniform.

That's a lot of innings for a guy who's barely 25.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    How much did the Yankees pay for him?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    How much did the Yankees pay for him?
    155 million I thought... It was a lot. Not sure if the posting fee was part of that.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    That's why you don't pay $155 million for a guy who has never played a major league game.

I'm thrilled this is happening to the Yankees, every bad karma needs to hit them until they stop spending like *******s.

I mean sucks for Tanaka, but he will be fine, he has $155 million reasons not to be to upset and it isn't an injury that messes with you long term like a concussion etc.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

22. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-13-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They definitely need to be smart with this decision to have rehab first. If they waste too much time on rehab and TJ is still needed, there goes next year as well. Then the year after that would be his first year back (unless he gets a couple starts at the end of the previous year), and we all know how those years can go for pitchers.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.