Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hicks quietly posting good numbers in New Britain

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Gomez has been very explicit in stating the Twins wanted him to approach at bats one way, and when the Breweres told him he was free to do it another way, that's when he got good. Ortiz has said it too, as you know. That's what I was referring to. It is certainly possible that isn't true, that he's wrong. That he's hitting better because he is more experienced now. It is alos possible that he's right, that when he was freed up to be Gomez, and not something he wasn't, that he got good.

I was not commenting at all on the rest of Gomez, just that one part. That one part is what is not comparable. Other parts of their story, sure, comparable. Maybe I could have typed that first sentence more clearly.
    It took him until his third season in Mil before he became "good", lets not pretend it was an overnight thing.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

2. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ben Noble (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    It took him until his third season in Mil before he became "good", lets not pretend it was an overnight thing.
    Can we stop letting facts get in the way of a narrative?
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    Where did I say it was overnight?

"when the Breweres told him he was free to do it another way, that's when he got good", I didn't say they did that right away. I did not say I even knew it was true, I said it is what he said.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    They do until you take into account that he started pretty slowly when he was first sent down.
    Yeah, he's hitting .414/.553/.552 in his last 10 games... Mostly singles, but also 9 BB's to 7 K's.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

6. This user likes Steve Lein's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (07-10-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    On the Hicks' topic.....to me, it is about hard contact. I just want hard contact for now. That would be huge, imo. Hitting the ball hard.
    Lighten up Francis....

8. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (07-10-2014), curt1965 (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't think the Twins did anything wrong with Gomez outside of keeping him on the MLB roster instead of demoting him and letting him sort out his issues in the minors.

These are Gomez's seasons by age, team, OPS+.

21 - NYM - 55
    22 - MIN - 77
    23 - MIN - 65
    24 - MIL - 76
    25 - MIL - 82
    26 - MIL - 101
    27 - MIL - 129
    28 - MIL - 138

That screams "rushed to the majors" and "typical development through to prime seasons".

Gomez always had oodles of talent but the Mets rushed him and the Twins inexplicably continued the process before trading him to the Brewers. The guy just needed development time, that's all.
    Let's continue this...

Gomez:

24 - MIL - 76
    25 - MIL - 82
    26 - MIL - 101
    27 - MIL - 129

Dozier:

25 - MIN - 67
    26 - MIN - 98
    27 - MIN -109

Hunter:

24 - MIN - 80
    25 - MIN - 102
    26 - MIN - 124

Morneau:

22 - MIN - 73
    23 - MIN - 122 (74 games)
    24 - MIN - 93
    25 - MIN - 140

Cuddyer:

25 - MIN - 100
    26 - MIN - 97
    27 - MIN -124

As we approach the wave of Sano, Buxton, Rosario, Polanco, Vargas, etc., etc. to go in with Arcia, Santana, Hicks, etc., we have to remember that pretty much every good hitter in recent Twins memory head a bunch of sinking/treading water seasons until ultimately breaking out around 26 or 27.

Hicks is 24. Arcia is barely 23. Next year, Sano will be 22, Buxton will be 21.

10. These 3 users like THE DFC's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-11-2014), benji21 (07-11-2014), WLFINN (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We know that some people will take shots at the Twins organization whenever the opportunity presents. That is OK, the Twins deserve some shots. Just don't be so surprised when facts are presented to counter the shots. Especially here, where I am having a hard time figuring out what Gomez has to do with the troubles that Hicks has had.

Largely, the Twins have screwed up with Hicks. Either they believed he was closer to being a major league ready hitter than he has appeared to be or there were other issues that the Twins didn't recognize soon enough. In any case they probably should of gotten him back to the minors much sooner or perhaps given him more development time before promoting him to the majors in the first place.

Having said that, I am rooting for Hicks to figure it out. He certainly has talent. By the way, I was under the impression that he is switch hitting. I suspect that if he had gone back to being a right handed hitter again, it would have been widely reported.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 07-11-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    We know that some people will take shots at the Twins organization whenever the opportunity presents. That is OK, the Twins deserve some shots. Just don't be so surprised when facts are presented to counter the shots. Especially here, where I am having a hard time figuring out what Gomez has to do with the troubles that Hicks has had.

Largely, the Twins have screwed up with Hicks. Either they believed he was closer to being a major league ready hitter than he has appeared to be or there were other issues that the Twins didn't recognize soon enough. In any case they probably should of gotten him back to the minors much sooner or perhaps given him more development time before promoting him to the majors in the first place.

Having said that, I am rooting for Hicks to figure it out. He certainly has talent. By the way, I was under the impression that he is switch hitting. I suspect that if he had gone back to being a right handed hitter again, it would have been widely reported.
    it appears that Hicks may be treated by the organization similarly to Gomez. At least that seems to be the direction. The move to the minors seems to be an admission of guilt, but it may be too late.

I hope that is not the case that Hicks us being given up on, because I think the Twins traded Gomez at a time when they should have kept him and worked with him more. There's no telling if Gomez could have become the player he is today, had he stayed with the Twins, but he would have developed and improved over where he was. No matter what he would have been an improvement over Revere, and an OF of Gomez, Span, and Cuddy playing at or close to their primes, would have been pretty awesome. I'm afraid that the player to best be MLB CF in 2015 and beyond, with plenty of tools, has already been passed by for Sam Fuld.
    "If I knew the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant a tree today."

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Thursday, July 10:

Hicks is 1 for 3 plus a walk; was a base hit; he had 1 rbi and no strikeouts

BA up to .284

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They don't put splits on baseball reference for minor leagues (that I can find anyway)
    If you mean minor league stats for a player, go to his minor league page and look for "Gamelogs & Splits" and pick the year you want. It's easy to miss. Not as elaborate as for the majors, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    If you mean minor league stats for a player, go to his minor league page and look for "Gamelogs & Splits" and pick the year you want. It's easy to miss. Not as elaborate as for the majors, but it's something.
    I can find his stats for the year in the minors but is there somewhere that gives you the last 7 days, last 14 days, etc.?

Steve Lein gives his stats for the last 10 days.

Just looked at his stats on the Rock Cats site:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=543305

Those last 10 games are looking more and more impressive.

Oh and that Rock Cats stats info is really nice.

EDIT: Thanks asbury, when I finally looked at the top and found the Gamelogs and splits, it does indeed have what you said would be there. DUH.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 07-11-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EDIT: Thanks asbury, when I finally looked at the top and found the Gamelogs and splits, it does indeed have what you said would be there. DUH.
    No DUH involved, like I said it's easy to miss - looks like a totally different web designer did the work on the MLB and MiLB pages. I think I was unaware of it until a few months ago, meaning it's either a relatively new addition or else I had missed it all this time.

Another pro-tip: if you want a custom (cherry picked ) set of stats over a period of time, go to the gamelog, click the first game you are interested in and it will highlight the line in light blue, then go down to the last game of the sequence and do a Shift-mouseclick, and it will do a computation and give you the stat line for the time period. Pretty slick. That way if you want a number of days the Splits section doesn't offer, you can DIY.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 07-11-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Slick trick, asbury. I'll try that!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    if it's correct that he's taking all his swings from the right-hand side
    I am pretty sure he resumed switch hitting. That would explain the bounceback in his numbers.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,603 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    I am pretty sure he resumed switch hitting. That would explain the bounceback in his numbers.
    Do you have evidence of this? The splits have him listed as a RHB.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you have evidence of this? The splits have him listed as a RHB.
    Video of his home run on July 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVuUDAIV3KI

21. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (07-11-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

The following site has all 83 PA's this year as RH.

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player...ter&split=2014

hicks.jpg

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Something is screwed up here because I even cross-checked the schedule and found Hicks game from the youtube video above and it lines up with the Mets and it lines up with a HR. I wonder if the Minor League Central site is screwed up and not tracking this correctly.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

That was an imposter.

Gomez always had oodles of talent but the Mets rushed him and the Twins inexplicably continued the process before trading him to the Brewers. The guy just needed development time, that's all.
    I think the front office wanted to show fans an early return on investment from the Santana trade.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast