Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hicks quietly posting good numbers in New Britain

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aaron Hicks quietly posting good numbers in New Britain

Given his flirtation with giving up switch-hitting (and baffling return to it a few weeks later), I wanted to dig a bit further into his splits and see how he was holding up.

According to Minor League Central, he is indeed taking all his swings as a RHB in New Britain. Good news, for sure.

http://minorleaguecentral.com/player...ter&split=2014

His line drive rate is low and he's hitting a ton of balls on the ground but that OPS is promising.

2. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-10-2014), Mike Frasier Law (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Good to see. Hopefully he gets to AAA sometime and learns to hit. His BB and K rates in the majors weren't horrible.

4. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-10-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    It's good he's having some success, I'd imagine it feels good and is mental boost. Still, what he does at NB isn't interesting to me. I need to see him in AAA doing it before I want him back.

6. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, good to see he is performing like a more normal ballplayer again.

Let him sustain this over a bit larger sample, maybe improve that groundball rate a bit , before promoting him to AAA.

8. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His production is so heavily OBP driven. And that's good. But I would be more encouraged if he stockpiled more hits or if more of his hits went for extra bases. We already know that a walks-singles version of Hicks at NB only translates to a .600 batter in the Show.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    According to Minor League Central, he is indeed taking all his swings as a RHB in New Britain. Good news, for sure.
    But that graph suggests he has not taken ANY at bats vs. a right-handed pitcher as a left-handed batter, and we know that is not correct!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    His production is so heavily OBP driven. And that's good. But I would be more encouraged if he stockpiled more hits or if more of his hits went for extra bases. We already know that a walks-singles version of Hicks at NB only translates to a .600 batter in the Show.

As of this morning he has a respectable .281 average. I'll take it. We know he's got some power. I'd just prefer he improved that contact for the time being.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    I'm afraid fans and the front office might give up on him too quick and he might become Gomez 2.0. Obviously he hasn't shown that he is a big leaguer but he still has the tools to be.

13. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-10-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I'm afraid fans and the front office might give up on him too quick and he might become Gomez 2.0. Obviously he hasn't shown that he is a big leaguer but he still has the tools to be.
    There are many that haven't given up on him and I'm sure the front office is among that group.

I thought Hicks was mis-handled but he's still only 24. There's plenty of time for him to get back on track.

15. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheBigGuy7273 (07-13-2014)

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I share your concern about missing out on Gomez 2.0.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Right, you don't give up on him (like they have other young players), you send him to the minors to get better at his craft. I hope he succeeds, however he is hitting (L, R, SH, whatever).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    I don't think Gomez and Hicks are all that comparable in one big way. Hicks is what he is, they did not try to change him. Gomez, they tried to make into a certain mold that did not fit him. I don't get the sense that is what happened with Hicks so far. But then, I am not in the room, maybe they are.
    Lighten up Francis....

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    I have to think that simply restoring some confidence will do him a world of good. I would love to see the Aaron Hicks story with the Twins have a Part 2, where he turns into a great player for many years. Kind of like Perkins, who was pretty awful as a starter and also had some dust-ups with management, as I recall.

20. These 4 users like SDFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (07-11-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (07-10-2014), JB_Iowa (07-10-2014), mike wants wins (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Looks like he's treading water. These numbers look like his production in New Britain in 2012.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't think Gomez and Hicks are all that comparable in one big way. Hicks is what he is, they did not try to change him. Gomez, they tried to make into a certain mold that did not fit him. I don't get the sense that is what happened with Hicks so far. But then, I am not in the room, maybe they are.
    I don't think the Twins did anything wrong with Gomez outside of keeping him on the MLB roster instead of demoting him and letting him sort out his issues in the minors.

These are Gomez's seasons by age, team, OPS+.

21 - NYM - 55
    22 - MIN - 77
    23 - MIN - 65
    24 - MIL - 76
    25 - MIL - 82
    26 - MIL - 101
    27 - MIL - 129
    28 - MIL - 138

That screams "rushed to the majors" and "typical development through to prime seasons".

Gomez always had oodles of talent but the Mets rushed him and the Twins inexplicably continued the process before trading him to the Brewers. The guy just needed development time, that's all.

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFan View Post
    I have to think that simply restoring some confidence will do him a world of good. I would love to see the Aaron Hicks story with the Twins have a Part 2, where he turns into a great player for many years. Kind of like Perkins, who was pretty awful as a starter and also had some dust-ups with management, as I recall.
    Should we send Hicks a link to a Fangraphs article about strikeouts being bad (for a hitter)? Perhaps about the relationship between LD%, BABIP and batting average?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Looks like he's treading water. These numbers look like his production in New Britain in 2012.
    Just from the numbers, I'd agree. But if it's correct that he's taking all his swings from the right-hand side, then a "one step backward in order to take two steps forward" process is at least promising, if the step backward is only this small. No guarantee the two steps forward will happen, but there's a chance.

Liked 1,284 Times in 742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    They do until you take into account that he started pretty slowly when he was first sent down. They don't put splits on baseball reference for minor leagues (that I can find anyway) but just from paying attention to what the sportswriters have been saying, it seems to me that there has been a nice improvement over the last week or two.

I think we have to see where this trends before concluding that he is just "treading water".

Senior Member MVP
    Gomez has been very explicit in stating the Twins wanted him to approach at bats one way, and when the Breweres told him he was free to do it another way, that's when he got good. Ortiz has said it too, as you know. That's what I was referring to. It is certainly possible that isn't true, that he's wrong. That he's hitting better because he is more experienced now. It is alos possible that he's right, that when he was freed up to be Gomez, and not something he wasn't, that he got good.

I was not commenting at all on the rest of Gomez, just that one part. That one part is what is not comparable. Other parts of their story, sure, comparable. Maybe I could have typed that first sentence more clearly.
    Lighten up Francis....

28. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Stan Zbornak (07-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't think the Twins did anything wrong with Gomez outside of keeping him on the MLB roster instead of demoting him and letting him sort out his issues in the minors.

These are Gomez's seasons by age, team, OPS+.

21 - NYM - 55
    22 - MIN - 77
    23 - MIN - 65
    24 - MIL - 76
    25 - MIL - 82
    26 - MIL - 101
    27 - MIL - 129
    28 - MIL - 138

That screams "rushed to the majors" and "typical development through to prime seasons".

Gomez always had oodles of talent but the Mets rushed him and the Twins inexplicably continued the process before trading him to the Brewers. The guy just needed development time, that's all.
    Agreed, the Mets screwed him over big time and the Twins were a playoff team those early years Gomez was here, so the Twins were in win now mode which meant putting out their best roster each day. As bad as Gomez was hitting wise, nobody doubted the defense he had.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast