Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: How Many of the TOP International Signings Make It?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was that Cabrera guy that drove the market... Interesting. Also interesting that he was heavily recruited by the Twins before the Marlins came in and got him.

And the moral of the story... not quite sure. Star in Cabrera, and stars in the making up near the top (though the book is still out there)... Not much of anything else.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The second question is impossible to answer: will the Yankees get rewarded? Even if they turn out a Teheran for roughly $14M?
    Just picking nits, but wouldn't it be turning out that the Yankees got a Teheran for roughly $28 million? They get nailed with a 100% penalty tax, right?

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I'd like to point out that the Twins just came in second in the bidding for Gregory Polanco of the Pirates.

Imagine him being paired with Buxton in the outfield. Or the top of the order...

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see how the Twins compare to other teams in International signings. They have an impressive laundry list of player/prospects right now. I think this is an area the Twins are doing extremely well in right now and I wouldn't criticize them at all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In response a few questions...

I chose 2006-2007 because those players are now 23-24 and teams have had to make 40 man roster decisions as well as option decisions on those players.

The players listed are ranked by value of contract signed. I went that direction based on listening to Kiley McDaniel and how he views rankings of international prospects.

It might be interesting to go back to 2000-2001 and see if there is any correlation between dollars spent on an international prospect and WAR. It sure doesn't look like the correlation will be significant for 2006-2007. As some have pointed out, scouting may have become more reliable in 2014.

At least in 2006-2007, it looks like the talent of the scout trumps the size of the pocketbook. The Yankees must be hoping that trend has reversed for 2014.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I'd like to see how the Twins compare to other teams in International signings. They have an impressive laundry list of player/prospects right now. I think this is an area the Twins are doing extremely well in right now and I wouldn't criticize them at all.
    When did the spending limits go into effect? 3 years ago? It would also be interesting to know how many the Twins signed and what their total outlay was in comparison to the other teams. How much did the Twins put into their scouting in comparison to other teams?

A lot of interesting questions that will go unanswered. That's life I suppose; make the best educated guess you can and move forward.
    Last edited by Oxtung; 07-11-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    11 Byung-Hyun Kim

Wasn't he the closer in Arizona for a couple years? I was thinking he had a rough go of it in the 2001 Series with the Yankees.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Just picking nits, but wouldn't it be turning out that the Yankees got a Teheran for roughly $28 million? They get nailed with a 100% penalty tax, right?
    An important nit to pick. Guaranteeing a Teheran might be worth the expense. The Yankees aren't getting every international signing though.

In 2007 they also cornered the market paying out 4 of the top 10 bonuses. They missed on Teheran.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 07-11-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12