Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Grandpa Mauer Calls Out Joe

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

Grandpa Mauer Calls Out Joe

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/mau...g-booing-fans/

Has to be hard to see your Grandpa calling you out in the media ;-)

“He’s getting a big salary, he should produce,” Jake said. “That’s what the fans think and that’s what the fans want.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure Joe Mauer knows that he isn't producing at a rate he is expected or capable of.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    “He’s getting a big salary, he should produce,” Jake said. “That’s what the fans think and that’s what the fans want. He’s trying but it just don’t happen (yet). But I don’t blame the people.”

Still, Jake said his grandson “definitely” will hit over .300 before the season ends. “He’s on his way and then he got hurt.”

I don't think Joe would disagree with that. And it looks to me like Jake has Joe's back.

One more thing. I did think it was interesting that Jake thinks the concussion may be having some lingering effects:

Jake believes the concussion Mauer suffered last August and caused him to miss the remainder of the season is a factor. “I think it has hampered him. I really do.”

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 149 Posts
    I saw this on the Strib (Howard Sinker) -- in a moment of weakness I read the reader comments....

I am guessing Joe flinches everytime he sees his Grandpa talking to someone with a recorder. Jake likes to hear the sound of his voice somtimes (I don't think Joe inherited that trait) .
    Last edited by D. Hocking; 07-09-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I don't think Joe would disagree with that. And it looks to me like Jake has Joe's back.
    Yes - when you read the full blog interview vs. some of the smaller excerpts floating about you do get that impression. I don't think Joe would disagree with any of what was said - still not sure he would be thrilled with Grandpa talking to the press.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    “He says, ‘What the heavens are going to happen next?'"

He does? WTH?

8. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (07-09-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by D. Hocking View Post
    Yes - when you read the full blog interview vs. some of the smaller excerpts floating about you do get that impression. I don't think Joe would disagree with any of what was said - still not sure he would be thrilled with Grandpa talking to the press.
    Joe probably doesn't love Jake talking to the press but I'm sure he's had to get used to it. Jake is in his mid-80's and a bit of a character.

As my grandmother used to say:

"I can say anything I want. I'm old you know."

Kind of like when Justin Verlander's grandfather (I think) first confirmed his relationship with Kate Upton. OOPs, grandparents just don't censor what they say.

I actually love this story about what Jake had to say. If old age gets you anything, it should be the right to be candid. And there's obviously a lot of love and respect for Joe there, too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 385 Times in 236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    “He says, ‘What the heavens are going to happen next?'"

He does? WTH?
    It's funny that Grampa Jake used that soft euphemism, but it's even funnier because that's probably the exact quote from Joe.

11. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (07-10-2014)

Jake is in his mid-80's and a bit of a character.

I actually love this story about what Jake had to say. If old age gets you anything, it should be the right to be candid. And there's obviously a lot of love and respect for Joe there, too.
    I am guessing there is no stopping Jake when he is on a roll (and Joe has probably known that since about age 3). It is nice to get some insight of what is going on in Joe's head. I think a lot of his crtics think he does not care, so it is nice to see someone refuting that.

I do think Joe would be upset to find out Grandpa Jake revealed that he actually has a mouth like a drunken sailor. At least he did not add the quote where Joe used "dang" and "shoot".

13. These 2 users like D. Hocking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (07-09-2014), Tibs (07-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    One more thing. I did think it was interesting that Jake thinks the concussion may be having some lingering effects:

Jake believes the concussion Mauer suffered last August and caused him to miss the remainder of the season is a factor. “I think it has hampered him. I really do.”
    Pardon the repetition, but I agree with Jake. Look how long it took Morneau to look like pre-concussion Morneau. We've got another four years of Mauer, so we'll see one way or another.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wait wait wait wait. Verlander is dating Kate Upton?

*Google searches Kate Upton....
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Wait wait wait wait. Verlander is dating Kate Upton?

*Google searches Kate Upton....
    Nah, his grandfather is dating her. (At least that's the semantics now that I look back at my post.

17. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Long before Joe, Jake's tip sheet at Canterbury gave you a winner every time. (well almost)

Last edited by Highabove; 07-10-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grandpa and Dad used to both boast the Joe would absatively possilutely be the next .400 hitter. I guess that doesn't come up anymore................

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I'm sure they all think that, and rightfully so. I've felt that way all year.