Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pierzynski DFA'd (Rosenthal Rumor)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, no one in Boston's organization or associated with the team is saying things publicly. It's sources and sportswriters. That's a bit different than Bert spending a month saying Kevin Slowey likes black licorice and hurting adorable puppies.

So seems to me you're trying to make some kind of comparison here that isn't really relevant.
    Can we please stop bringing up Slowey period? It is apparent that Slowey was never a legit MLB pitcher.

Also Bert is an announcer and forms his own opinions, he isn't some PR mouthpiece for the Twins.

The Twins have rarely if ever "bashed" players when they leave, with anonymous players/org folks making those comments. I'm pretty sure Bert's "bashing" which is a laughable term, was due to several face to face encounters with Slowey.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

2. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-10-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Can we please stop bringing up Slowey period? It is apparent that Slowey was never a legit MLB pitcher.
    We can do Baker as well or anyone else. Whether the player is legit or not is irrelevant to point I was making.

As are any assumptions you want to make. I wasn't even criticizing the Twins, just pointing out that this situation is irrelevant to any in which the Twins have been criticized for in the past.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    In one instance, after a particularly rough outing in which the starting pitcher had been pulled early in the game, Pierzynski could be found staring at his phone while the pitcher gave off the appearance of being an emotional wreck just a few feet away. That incident paved the way for at least one complaint to management from a teammate.
    Clearly A. J. is not good in the clubhouse. Everyone knows Suzuki, Pinto and Fryer would have spent the rest of the night with their arm around this fragile pitcher, comforting him.

5. These 2 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Deduno Abides (07-11-2014), Mr. Brooks (07-11-2014)

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Can we please stop bringing up Slowey period? It is apparent that Slowey was never a legit MLB pitcher.Also Bert is an announcer and forms his own opinions, he isn't some PR mouthpiece for the Twins. The Twins have rarely if ever "bashed" players when they leave, with anonymous players/org folks making those comments. I'm pretty sure Bert's "bashing" which is a laughable term, was due to several face to face encounters with Slowey.
    Just one man's opinion, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree. I think there's ample reason to believe the FSN crew has often served as a mouthpiece for the organization. Actually, I'm surprised there's much disagreement with that viewpoint.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

7. These 5 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Deduno Abides (07-11-2014), diehardtwinsfan (07-10-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (07-10-2014), Mr. Brooks (07-11-2014), snepp (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Just one man's opinion, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree. I think there's ample reason to believe the FSN crew has often served as a mouthpiece for the organization. Actually, I'm surprised there's much disagreement with that viewpoint.
    I don't see how they are any more a mouthpiece then any other announcing team , they have a lot more inside info then most because of the whole fact that they spend 200+ days a year on the same exact schedule as the players.

There isn't an announcing team in baseball that is just going to rip into a manager/GM/org.

9. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-10-2014)

I mean, what was A. J. doing on his smartphone after a game? Probably betting on other baseball games I bet..

I don't see how they are any more a mouthpiece then any other announcing team , they have a lot more inside info then most because of the whole fact that they spend 200+ days a year on the same exact schedule as the players.

There isn't an announcing team in baseball that is just going to rip into a manager/GM/org.
    I agree with you Dave, but what other announcing team is announcing games of a team coming off three 95-loss seasons and still has the exact same manager/GM combo?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I agree with you Dave, but what other announcing team is announcing games of a team coming off three 95-loss seasons and still has the exact same manager/GM combo?
    Not the Twins, that's for sure.

13. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    What announcing team is going to bad mouth their boss in public? While Dick & Bert and Gladden & Provus are on FSN and K-TWN respectively, they were hired by and are employed by the Twins.

They are not going to publicly state that Gardenhire should be fired.

15. This user likes SweetOne69's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-10-2014)

Pick your poison.

AJ is an a-hole. No amount of spin from people like Barreiro is going to change that. The Red Sox are the most arrogant and pretentious team in baseball. No amount of ESPN spin is going to change that fact.

17. This user likes Pius Jefferson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    What announcing team is going to bad mouth their boss in public? While Dick & Bert and Gladden & Provus are on FSN and K-TWN respectively, they were hired by and are employed by the Twins.

They are not going to publicly state that Gardenhire should be fired.
    Agreed, it certainly doesn't happen in the "tough" markets like NY, LA, etc. Michael Kay for instance has his own talk show where he is tough on the Yankees, however during the broadcasts you would never hear him rip the org. It makes for bad television and honestly can turn the "casual" fan off. It has always been like this.

TV/Radio Broadcasts generally keep things light in general to make it entertaining, the sports shows the next day/radio talk shows are the ones who get all negative and rip on everyone.

This isn't some Minnesota brainwashing conspiracy.

19. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts
    I've never really bought into the "AJ is a guy you hate when he's on another team but love when he's on your team" narrative. Either a guy is a jerk or he isn't. (And FWIW, I don't think it's the job of a television broadcast team to criticize the team they broadcast. They're supposed to be simply reporting on the events of the game they're broadcasting. If you want to see Twins criticism, just pop over here)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Not the Twins, that's for sure.
    2013: Gardenhire/Ryan, 66-96
    2012: Gardenhire/Ryan, 66-96
    2011: Gardenhire/Smith, 63-99

You got me.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Makes the Suzuki signing look better & better.

But I'm still an A.J. fan .... sometimes you just have to know when you're done.
    Good call. Suzuki has been solid.

I'm still an A.J. fan too. Yeah he has an edge. He can be rude. He doesn't ride the DL. He plays to win. He was a great fit on Ozzie's team. He has a World Series ring. No one is going to ever make excuses for him, like they do here. If you're a winner, he'll have your back. It would be nice to have players like A.J. again. (and Torii, Radke, etc.)

23. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

curt1965 (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here is a Strib article talking more about the situation. Sounds like his personality was a major factor here, if not the deciding factor.
    You must have a link to a different article than the one I read. To the SOX, AJ was an outsider, he didn't help them win the Series last year. The SOX stink this year-- AJ's fault? No. Aj's sin? He put his nose in his cell while the game was played (probably poorly played). Oh my, how arrogant. He didn't stand up and sing the fight song of the SOX--Bad AJ! There are in MLB, not highschool, and not yah--rah--rah. Might AJ have mentioned he rejected a two-year contract (at approximately the same annual rate) with the Twins--and that the Twins were closer to the playoffs than the SOX? Probably. Might you have do the same?
    BTW, how many have posted that the Twins should trade some 30+ year old (who won't be part of the solution) in order to permit a younger guy (Prospect!) play? I have read many posts advocating just that. So if that tactic is right for the Twins, it seems logical that it would be right for the SOX--even if AJ were the surrogate mascot of the SOX and led the singing of their fight song every game!

25. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-10-2014)

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts

The original point you made was that the Twins "rarely if ever bashed a player when they leave."

I don't think that's true. In fact, I think it's just the opposite...I feel you can often tell when a player has run out of chances with the Twins a couple weeks before they leave. The broadcast crew goes from "say/see/hear no evil" to attack mode overnight. I doubt that's coincidence.

Anywhoo...AJ. I bet someone gives him another 25 man spot, and he ends up helping some team into the postseason.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

27. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    The original point you made was that the Twins "rarely if ever bashed a player when they leave."

I don't think that's true. In fact, I think it's just the opposite...I feel you can often tell when a player has run out of chances with the Twins a couple weeks before they leave. The broadcast crew goes from "say/see/hear no evil" to attack mode overnight. I doubt that's coincidence.
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Who?
    Oh boy here we go, down the Kevin Slowey rabbit hole again!

The Twins had the AUDACITY! to criticize Slowey when he refused to goto the bullpen.

30. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    I've never really bought into the "AJ is a guy you hate when he's on another team but love when he's on your team" narrative. Either a guy is a jerk or he isn't. (And FWIW, I don't think it's the job of a television broadcast team to criticize the team they broadcast. They're supposed to be simply reporting on the events of the game they're broadcasting. If you want to see Twins criticism, just pop over here)
    The White Sox didn't care for AJ, but they knew he helped them so they put up with it. There was one interview when a Sox pitcher retaliated when someone hit a Sox player, and the player said that it was great to be on a team where pitchers stood up for a teammate (I think it was Konerko being interviewed). The reporter asked why no one got breezed when AJ got hit, and the player kind of smiled and didn't say anything.

Senior Member All-Star
    I bet AJ ends up coaching somewhere in our minor league system.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast