Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pierzynski DFA'd (Rosenthal Rumor)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts

Pierzynski DFA'd (Rosenthal Rumor)

Makes the Suzuki signing look better & better.

But I'm still an A.J. fan .... sometimes you just have to know when you're done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

But I'm still an A.J. fan .... sometimes you just have to know when you're done.
    He is coming off two pretty good years. Interesting. Bet he is glad he took a discount.

I would still take Pierzynski on the Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Twins were lucky they signed Suzuki, if this is true because Buck and Pierzynski were two players they courted. Suzuki has been at career best numbers for us.

I would still take AJ on the Twins, he was always a clutch hitter and he came through with some big clutch hits in the 2002 playoff run. He was good at framing pitches too when he was with the White Sox.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    He's actually hitting ok for a backup catcher. He'll get picked up by a team for down the stretch.

If Terry signs him and says why not us we can get back in this thing, I will go jump off the nearest bridge.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

5. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tarheeltwinsfan (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could potentially soften the likelihood of Suzuki being traded...or at least gives said team a shot at another catcher before they'd get 'desperate' to try the trade market of Suzuki...

7. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This will eliminate one possible trade destination for Suzuki. The Blue Jays, Orioles and Dodgers are teams potentially interested in a catcher.

It may also speed up the process faster then the Twins are willing. They may get a call from a team preferring Suzuki but ready to make a deal for Pierzynski (while in DFA limbo) if the Twins don't respond quickly.

I hope the Twins are ready to deal.

9. These 2 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-09-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Interesting!

I think any team that was looking to trade for Suzuki will still want Kurt over AJ at this point.
    I mean, Kurt>AJ>John Buck is probably how that all shakes out.

Another article on AJ's DFA
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ssignment.html

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I like teams that take decisive action.

12. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-09-2014), jokin (07-09-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    This will eliminate one possible trade destination for Suzuki. The Blue Jays, Orioles and Dodgers are teams potentially interested in a catcher.

It may also speed up the process faster then the Twins are willing. They may get a call from a team preferring Suzuki but ready to make a deal for Pierzynski (while in DFA limbo) if the Twins don't respond quickly.

I hope the Twins are ready to deal.
    And that is the key. With the A's bold move, the Orioles and Jays need to make a series of bold moves if they hope to keep up. The Twins need to be ready for a blockbuster counter-proposal (ie....include Suzuki with another impact player or two to get a shot at their high-end prospects) to both of these teams when they come a-calling.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is about his abrasive personality on a losing team, no? When last I looked, AJ was hitting satisfactorily for a catcher.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...boston-red-sox

Mostly Boston just wants to move on with the young guys. Good management and ownership.

16. This user likes spsdrock's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His BA is fine, but his OBP and SLG are low...I'm betting somebody would rather have him for no prospects then meet Suzuki's price.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Didn't AJ pick Boston over the Twins since he wanted to go to a winning team? Last I checked the Sox had a worse record.

In my best Nelson Muntz voice..."HA HA!"
    I bent my wookie...

19. This user likes Gernzy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    His BA is fine, but his OBP and SLG are low...I'm betting somebody would rather have him for no prospects then meet Suzuki's price.
    I agree. You don't usually find catchers DFA'd in the summer that you might start for a winning team. That is part of why catchers, shortstops and centerfielders return more in trade.

On the other hand, there are multiple cheap veteran bats available like Soriano every year. It is hard to get anything in return for Willingham and Morales when the cost of a Soriano is so little.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    This is about his abrasive personality on a losing team, no? When last I looked, AJ was hitting satisfactorily for a catcher.
    I suspect the main reason is they want to go younger, but I wonder if his personality was a least a small element of truth. I think AJ would be a great spark on a winning team or a young team that has some potential. But the abrasive spark plug that works in some situations/locker rooms can sometimes be detrimental in others.

22. This user likes D. Hocking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    And that is the key. With the A's bold move, the Orioles and Jays need to make a series of bold moves if they hope to keep up. The Twins need to be ready for a blockbuster counter-proposal (ie....include Suzuki with another impact player or two to get a shot at their high-end prospects) to both of these teams when they come a-calling.
    WHOA! Who are these impact players--and do the Twins have an excess of them to trade?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Surprising and risky from Boston. Just goes to show how unpredictable things can be though.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 857 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    WHOA! Who are these impact players--and do the Twins have an excess of them to trade?
    Dozier..Plouffe...Willingham

Another example of the difference between the Red Sox and the Twins.

Management selection:

Red Sox: bad year in 2012 leads to the firing of a two-time World Series winning manager. Twins: three consecutive 90-loss seasons leads to a two-year contract extension for a manager who has won one play-off series in his career.

Drafting and player development (recent examples):

In 2011, Red Sox drafted Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Mookie Betts after Twins drafted Levi (sure thing) Michael. In 2010, Red Sox drafted Brandon Workman and Garin Cecchini after Twins drafted Alex (sure thing) Wimmers.

Advanced metrics:

Red Sox: invested heavily and early, including hiring one of the gurus of advanced metrics. Twins: "after being one of the last teams to pay attention to advanced metrics, we hired this guy named Jack, who you never heard of before, and we can't really tell you the specific ways he provides input to our decisions."

Roster strategies:

Red Sox: team not meeting expectations in 2012 and 2014 - reduce veterans and salaries, bring up young players to get them experience and see how they perform. Twins: team not meeting expectations in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 - "let's get more veteran players who have never or rarely been considered all-star quality and if they have the best year of their career, well, let's keep them for future years instead of trading them for players who can help in the future;" also, let younger players know they have to "prove it" in the minors before bringing them up, unless roster planning emergencies cause "no other choice" promotions.

Red Sox: three World Series titles in ten years. Twins: three top ten draft choices in three years (and closing in on four in four).
    Last edited by Deduno Abides; 07-09-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    "Where's the Crede?"

27. These 5 users like Deduno Abides's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (07-09-2014), jokin (07-09-2014), nicksaviking (07-10-2014), Sconnie (07-09-2014), tarheeltwinsfan (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    Harsh for a guy hitting .254, 4 HR 31 RBI. He could DH for the Twins.

29. These 3 users like Monkeypaws's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (07-09-2014), Sconnie (07-09-2014), Stan Zbornak (07-10-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast