Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Transactions ahead?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    i won't be upset, and I agree, it is unlikely more than 2 get moved, but I didn't want some of them on the team at the beginning of the year, so I will remain disappointed if they are on in August, and we are not seeing more youth.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Just a point of caution, but teams making more than 2 or 3 trades at the deadline is pretty rare. I'd imagine that a lot goes into this. I would expect some trades, and I think there are a number of candidates (Correia, Morales, Hammer, Suzuki, Duensing, Burton, and Guerrier come to mind), but I dont' think it's fair to get upset if most of these guys are still wearing a Twins uniform on August 1.

Pfffft. I've played video games and thus know this to be untrue.

3. These 3 users like 70charger's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (07-10-2014), mike wants wins (07-10-2014), USAFChief (07-10-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Pfffft. I've played video games and thus know this to be untrue.
    Yeah, the Duensing for Dylan Bundy trade might go down as one of the best of all time.

Yadier Molina is out for 2-3 months. Hopefully Terry Ryan is on the phone to see if the Cardinals have any interest in Suzuki. They have a fairly deep farm system and might be willing to part with a decent prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I'm in the same camp. The most glaring and damaging deficiency with the Twins is that it appears they have no philosophy and discipline in place regarding the disposition of moveable assets. They fail to sell when the opportunities ate there way too often. They get in binds a la Hunter and Santana, and those types of failures set a franchise back big time.
    I don't know about that. Around the time of Hunter and Santana, it actually was quite likely a better move to keep the player as long as you were a contending team in a winnable division, then sit back and collect the draft pick(s) when they left. (The Twins just didn't draft particularly well for a stretch there.) The Twins actually botched the Santana situation a bit by not doing just that, perhaps just as much as passing on the rumored Lester or Ellsbury offers.

The Twins got 2 draft picks for Hunter, 2 for Cuddyer (and one of them became Berrios), plus picks for Kubel, Crain, Orlando Hudson (!), and Dennys Reyes (!!).

Now draft pick comp isn't much of an issue, but that means those expiring contract players aren't worth as much to the receiving team either. Used to be a team could net a draft pick from picking up Dennys Reyes at the deadline, not so anymore.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I'm sure the O's and Jays would love to get Dozier, but I think you are undervaluing him with these types of proposals. I'm not sure either team has a prospect only package they could offer right now that would be enough. Trading Dozier would require a mlb player and no team is going to do that at the deadline.

Why would it have to include an MLB player? If the Jays would be interested in taking a package featuring Dozier and one or more Twins expiring contracts in exchange for a package that netted the Twins one, or both, of the Jays Top 100 pitchers plus some others, say, SP Daniel Norris (currently at AA) and near-MLB-ready catcher AJ Jiminez, that seems like a package worth considering.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'd trade Dozier for Joc Pederson and another Dodger top 5 prospect, IF I thought Rosario or Polanco or Santana was ready to be the 2B next year (I just don't know). I personally do not need a MLB player back in return. I'd consider one of the Dodger top 2 pitchers, w/o Pederson, but then I'd need two more top 10 guys (since I think the pitchers are pretty far away).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Why would it have to include an MLB player? If the Jays would be interested in taking a package featuring Dozier and one or more Twins expiring contracts in exchange for a package that netted the Twins one, or both, of the Jays Top 100 pitchers plus some others, say, SP Daniel Norris (currently at AA) and near-MLB-ready catcher AJ Jiminez, that seems like a package worth considering.
    I wouldn't do that package even without throwing in another player. You really undervalue Dozier imo.
    Papers...business papers.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't do that package even without throwing in another player. You really undervalue Dozier imo.
    Aaron Sanchez is a potential Ace, at age 22 and already knocking on the MLB door. You don't get many chances to acquire a cost-controlled, well-before-his-peak years, and potential #1-level starting pitcher.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'd trade Dozier for Joc Pederson and another Dodger top 5 prospect, IF I thought Rosario or Polanco or Santana was ready to be the 2B next year (I just don't know). I personally do not need a MLB player back in return. I'd consider one of the Dodger top 2 pitchers, w/o Pederson, but then I'd need two more top 10 guys (since I think the pitchers are pretty far away).
    Throw in Suzuki to the deal, the Dodger seem to really value Twins catchers....who knows what kind of haul you might bring back?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsTerritory View Post
    Yadier Molina is out for 2-3 months. Hopefully Terry Ryan is on the phone to see if the Cardinals have any interest in Suzuki. They have a fairly deep farm system and might be willing to part with a decent prospect.
    They also might be able to finally spring John Jay from the Cards. Jay still offers two years of team control, a bridge to Buxton in CF, and possibly worth extending as quality long-term OF depth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Aaron Sanchez is a potential Ace, at age 22 and already knocking on the MLB door. You don't get many chances to acquire a cost-controlled, well-before-his-peak years, and potential #1-level starting pitcher.
    Nor do you have many opportunities to have cost controlled 20/20 2B with good OBP and elite defense that are actually at that level instead of potentially.

That trade will be there in the offseason and many other teams would be interested in some Dozier action as well (though the Twins would almost certainly not move him). There is no reason to trade him now unless you are blown away and then some.

And I don't want to dog Sanchez, very good prospect. Dozier is just worth more.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And 2B that are as good as Dozier and hit free agency are very rare indeed.
    Not really. Cano is much better and he hit free agency. Dozier is probably one of the top 3 players in this Twins' team, but this does not mean much. He is an above average second baseman with holes in his play (Mainly making contact. That .235 batting average is awful.) Right now, he is behind Kinsler, Altuve, Cano, Zorbrist, Pedroia in the AL. Good player but not great. If someone is willing to give the Twins someone who can help next season and has higher potential than Dozier, they will be silly not to do it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not really. Cano is much better and he hit free agency. Dozier is probably one of the top 3 players in this Twins' team, but this does not mean much. He is an above average second baseman with holes in his play (Mainly making contact. That .235 batting average is awful.) Right now, he is behind Kinsler, Altuve, Cano, Zorbrist, Pedroia in the AL. Good player but not great. If someone is willing to give the Twins someone who can help next season and has higher potential than Dozier, they will be silly not to do it.
    You named one guy who hit free agency, so I do appreciate you confirming my point.

Of the guys you listed, I would only put Cano and Kinsler clearly ahead of Dozier, and they make 45 and 30 times as much as Dozier this season and next, which is of course part of his value in a trade.

16. These 2 users like drjim's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Beezer07 (07-11-2014), birdwatcher (07-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    The package he just suggested is basically the equivalent of Meyer, Berrios, Thorpe and Turner.
    You'd be happy if the Twins traded all those guys for 1 good, but not elite player? I think you are overvaluing Dozier.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he is even more valuable than one top 20 prospect. For thought experiment, I don't think I would be happy if they traded him for Bundy, or for a more recent example, if they traded him straight up for Russell (or probably even the entire package the Cubs just got).
    Depends on the prospect, really. If you get into top ten territory, that'd probably be enough for Dozier... Drift down a bit and you might have to sweeten the pot with another upside guy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    The package he just suggested is basically the equivalent of Meyer, Berrios, Thorpe and Turner.
    You'd be happy if the Twins traded all those guys for 1 good, but not elite player? I think you are overvaluing Dozier.
    You are correct, looking back I realize now that I misread what he wrote - I didn't catch he was adding Sanchez and Stroman in addition to the names he wrote. I would consider that a substantial offer and certainly worth consideration.

My apologies jokin.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Depends on the prospect, really. If you get into top ten territory, that'd probably be enough for Dozier... Drift down a bit and you might have to sweeten the pot with another upside guy.
    Russell is generally considered around the #5 (or so) guy. I don't think I would swap Dozier for him

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    I like Mr. Brooks line of thought... would you trade Sano for Dozier? My answer is an overwhelming NO, and Addison is a better prospect at this point (who plays a premium defensive position).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Two thoughts:
    I think we are all going to be disappointed with the activity at the trade deadline. With comp picks no longer available for the "rental" players, trade returns are going to be very low. Teams just aren't going to give up quality prospects for two months of the players we can offer, and contending teams won't be giving up MLB starters.

I also agree that, at some point, when you feel you are close, you can't trade away your best players. You have to have something to build around - if the Twins trade Dozier, they just open up one more hole for the next couple of years for a potential return some years away.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast