Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transactions ahead?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    No chance the Twins trade Dozier, but I certainly endorse the Suzuki to Baltimore idea.
    Papers...business papers.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    No chance the Twins trade Dozier, but I certainly endorse the Suzuki to Baltimore idea.
    You're probably correct on Dozier, but if the right offer came along from either the Jays or the Orioles (ie, Top 100 pitching), the Twins should consider it. They can always trade out of their accumulated pitching depth for, or sign, a top-flite 2nd baseman later.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    You're probably correct on Dozier, but if the right offer came along from either the Jays or the Orioles (ie, Top 100 pitching), the Twins should consider it. They can always trade out of their accumulated pitching depth for, or sign, a top-flite 2nd baseman later.
    I don't understand the reasoning behind trading a 2B to acquire more pitching to later turn around and trade that pitching for a different 2B to replace the one you just traded. And 2B that are as good as Dozier and hit free agency are very rare indeed.

4. This user likes drjim's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (07-10-2014)

This is probably more than a little off topic, but since we're talking trades I just read the following on MLB trade rumors from an interview with Billy Beane. This fact blew me away. Has there ever been a team make enough trades to have this occur?

"Asked if this was the best team he’s ever constructed, Beane said he couldn’t judge that at this point and offered praise for his assistant GMs as well. One element of which Beane is very proud is that 23 of the 25 players on the Athletics’ roster were acquired via trade — a very different method of construction from the 2001 “Moneyball” A’s."

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I don't understand the reasoning behind trading a 2B to acquire more pitching to later turn around and trade that pitching for a different 2B to replace the one you just traded. And 2B that are as good as Dozier and hit free agency are very rare indeed.
    You can never have enough pitching. The Twins traded their best CF assets to acquire potential starters just a season ago and we still haven't received any dividends from those acquisitions, with injuries, flame-outs, lag-times, the pipeline must continually be reloaded. An overabundance of quality SP depth allows for the best trading currency with which to fill holes.

And there's nothing wrong by looking at signing proven, but relatively inexpensive, major leaguers like Ben Zobrist when they become available, finding FA 2nd basemen is far easier than finding SSs or SPs. And don't forget, Rosario is still in the mix for the job internally, as well as Polanco longer-term.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    That is the MO of the Twins and it bugs me. I was going to start a new thread about this, but decided to use this one instead.

The Twins blew it with these two. May should have been slotted into the rotation when Pelfrey went down. People didn't mind seeing Deduno at the time, but by now hopefully everyone realizes he is what he is; a AAAA pitcher adding depth to an organization. He shouldn't be getting starts in front of a potential key piece in the rotation as early as next season.

Next, they add Pino to the 40 man and promote him in front of Meyer. Are you kidding me? By now they could have been watching May and Meyer get MLB experience but Terry Ryan decided to let guys with no futures get that vital experience.

This is how you get to 90 losses, which the Twins are about on track for now. But, they are now in a bind because May is dinged-up and they would have to take someone off the 40 man again to add Meyer. And if we've seen anything from Terry Ryan before, its that no moves is the best move. Not to mention they are spewing BS about Meyer's innings limit and consistency.
    No matter what, they would have had to make a move to bring Meyer up by adding him to the 40 man.

Not going to disagree with you Smurf, in theory. I also want to see May and Meyer both up, and part of our future. But a few points for consideration, if you will:

1) Before his late season injury, Deduno was looking awfully good. And he had a good enough ST that some were wondering why he was in the pen instead of the rotation? So when Pelfrey went down, we should have promoted a talented kid in the first month plus of AAA over Deduno at that point?

2) Later, seemed like May was ready. He was targeted for the futures game, plus another start or two before, THEN Nolasco was put on the DL. But May was put on the DL before Nolasco with his tight/sore calf.

3) Granted, we can talk at length about Meyer and limits. But the one thing we can't debate is a shortened 2013. Right or wrong, the Twins view him as a special talent who had a setback, and who they want to bring along this season without overtaxing his arm and shoulder after a short 2013 season. No expert on his rehab or the Twins plan for him this season. Just stating the obvious.

We we still have almost a half season to play. And there are several scenarios that can and will stay play out. I believe we'll see May soon. Meyer I'm not as sure about. But I think Pino and Johnson were based on, "what can we do NOW".
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=stringer bell;253467]The recall of Herrmann and disabling of Nolasco seem to me to be temporary. There is no verified starter for Friday, the Twins will be playing with NL rules on the weekend, and the All-Star break follows the weekend. Santana is eligible to be reinstated on Sunday and Mauer would be eligible to return on Friday, the first day of action after the break. It seems certain that some moves will be made in the next week. Here is my stab at transactions:

I think the Twins will start Kris Johnson on Friday. They have three catchers so they can option Fryer.

Absolutely! Get Mauer and Santana back ASAP, and hope neither has lost the magic they had before the DL. (Crossing my fingers so hard it hurts!)

I understand keeping Herrmann over Fryer. But as a Herrmann fan and believer, I kind of hope we send him down, even with Pinto now healthy, just because I'd love to see him play and hit every day for the rest of the season.
    --Lou Brown

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarais66 View Post
    There is no valid reason (other than injury) that Meyer and May should not be in the rotation by the end of the month... They've proven themselves at AAA... What's left? other than a ticket to the show... Pino and Johnson are just fillers, the same AAAA pitchers we've been subjected to for the last three years... They have no future with the team. Any other team in the Twins' position would already have them in the rotation. It's time for them to learn the ropes at the major league level.
    Love May and Meyer! Think they both have a chance to be long term fixtures for the Twins. But...they've proven themselves at AAA? I love the idea, but I just don't see it. Meyer has been absolutely outstanding at times, but also inconsistent. May has actually performed better, but like Meyer, is in his very first half season of AAA and is temporarily injured.
    --Lou Brown

Blog Entries
    Dozier isn't going anywhere. He's only in his second season and is not only a potential gold glove contender, but he ranks amongst the league leaders in OB, SB's and R's. Oh, he's also a legit power threat from 2B. OK, he's slumped a bit lately, but this happens. He's also started all but what, one or two games all season? And, of course, no-one is pitching around him with both Santana and Mauer both down. Why would you?

The BA will come around. But it's also not a be all, end all stat of production. And maybe Rosario or Polanco could end up even better. Great! But they aren't now.

If someone needs a RH power hitter, Willingham might be a quality trade prospect.

I think there is little doubt Correia, unless he collapses, will have decent value to a team needing that extra, solid pitcher for depth.

Nobody is paying attention, but Buxton is performing very well as of late. He may also have value to a contending team.

Thats about it.

Im hoping we can aquire a fairly decent CF player buried on another team who needs a breath of fresh air.

I doubt Morales has great trade value at this point, maybe late, but might just stick it out with us, with an attempt to re-sign.

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to September, if not before, where we all get to see some amazing young talents audition.
    --Lou Brown

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Dozier isn't going anywhere. He's only in his second season and is not only a potential gold glove contender, but he ranks amongst the league leaders in OB, SB's and R's. Oh, he's also a legit power threat from 2B. OK, he's slumped a bit lately, but this happens. He's also started all but what, one or two games all season? And, of course, no-one is pitching around him with both Santana and Mauer both down. Why would you?

The BA will come around. But it's also not a be all, end all stat of production. And maybe Rosario or Polanco could end up even better. Great! But they aren't now.

If someone needs a RH power hitter, Willingham might be a quality trade prospect.

I think there is little doubt Correia, unless he collapses, will have decent value to a team needing that extra, solid pitcher for depth.

Nobody is paying attention, but Buxton is performing very well as of late. He may also have value to a contending team.

Thats about it.

Im hoping we can aquire a fairly decent CF player buried on another team who needs a breath of fresh air.

I doubt Morales has great trade value at this point, maybe late, but might just stick it out with us, with an attempt to re-sign.

For the first time in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to September, if not before, where we all get to see some amazing young talents audition.
    Is there a contending team that wants Buxton enough to put him in CF- in 2014?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Pretty sure he means Burton....

The only way you trade Dozier if you are relatively sure Rosario or Polanco replaces him in the next year or so. Oh, and you get A LOT for him.

That would be an A's type move. It would also be a repeat of the CF trades they made.....so if they make a deal, they better be more right about their prospects than they were with Hicks.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Yes to Burton. Sorry about that.
    --Lou Brown

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We think Polanco can play in the majors because he looked good in ten at-bats? C'mon. He's got at least a year in the upper minors before he shows he's ready.

15. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-10-2014), Willihammer (07-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    tobi0040 - you have articulated the situation expertly in my mind and I would think almost everyone that comes to this site would agree with you 100%. With the current state of the franchise now more than ever the handling of young players is imperative for the health of the team going forward.
    I guess I'm the lone wolf then. If Meyer was 100% "ready", they would have made room for him. The Twins field staff disagrees with all of you who proclaim that Meyer, or May for that matter, would have been better options at the time for the guys they were throwing out there. No offense, but I'm going with the coaches and manager who watch every bullpen, every pitch, and are exposed to every important nuance associated with these decisions.

Also, Pino, Johnson, Darnell, Meyer, and May are a far cry from the likes of Walters, DeVries, and Hernandez. This notion that it's the "same old Twins MO" is an inaccurate portrayal. Yes, Meyer and May have brighter futures and they'll be promoted eventually, perhaps even later this season, but Pino and Johnson are hardly chopped liver. This team is on the way to maybe 74 wins, so what's the fuss about the timing of the debuts of these guys?

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Pretty sure he means Burton....

The only way you trade Dozier if you are relatively sure Rosario or Polanco replaces him in the next year or so. Oh, and you get A LOT for him.

That would be an A's type move. It would also be a repeat of the CF trades they made.....so if they make a deal, they better be more right about their prospects than they were with Hicks.
    Yeah, I knew what Doc meant, but the juxtaposition of the two, being only one letter away by name, but infinitely apart by way of talent, struck me as hard to conflate- and worth a throwaway bit of fun (hence the ).

Regarding Dozier, yes, I'm thinking of teams around the league being inspired by the A's and going for it. As we've speculated since the offseason, the AL East had a chance to be wide open, and perhaps the Jays and Orioles want to take advantage of this opportunity.

Which leaves the Twins....if they are as convinced as I am that 2015 only offers marginal improvement over these last 4 years, I would hope that they would consider any big-time offer involving Dozier in exchange for potential top-end SPs. 2015 can be the year to find out about Rosario, and possibly an evaluation of Polanco by the end of the year....but that doesn't have to mean that you're all-in with either. You can always look to a trade from your surplus talent (it would presumably be pitching after such a blockbuster trade) or in the FA market, neither of which the Twins considered seriously enough (feeble inquiries to Rajai Davis nothwithstanding) in a Plan B or Plan C scenario in the event that Hicks faltered (twice).

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I saw a graphic about Willingham early during yesterday's game. It said he was hitting something like .118 in his last 21 games. Reminds me a lot of spring training. I hope he starts raking today so that he has some value on the trade market. He is also one who could be moved in August (like Morneau) since waiver claims shouldn't be a problem.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    We think Polanco can play in the majors because he looked good in ten at-bats? C'mon. He's got at least a year in the upper minors before he shows he's ready.

Did I even say that? I am 100% certain I DID NOT say that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I don't think anyone has said even the slightest thing about Polanco being ready. However, he was placed on the 40-man roster in the offseason- and given a full-time gig at SS over 3 other SSs at the same level of play, but who were all much older in age...so at least we can discern that the FO is convinced that he has the best potential at some point down the road.

Senior Member All-Star
    Trading Dozier right now would not be an A's move. They don't create holes by trading good players 4 years away from FA. They trade established players 2 years away from free agency when they have replacements ready or are receiving a replacement in return (hint hint).

The only way you could justify trading Dozier would be if you are convinced he has peaked this year (I'm not - he should have another 2-3 years at this level) and you are receiving mlb talent at a position of need (which is not what was proposed). That type of trade can really only happen in the offseason.

22. These 2 users like drjim's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (07-10-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (07-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I guess I'm the lone wolf then. If Meyer was 100% "ready", they would have made room for him. The Twins field staff disagrees with all of you who proclaim that Meyer, or May for that matter, would have been better options at the time for the guys they were throwing out there. No offense, but I'm going with the coaches and manager who watch every bullpen, every pitch, and are exposed to every important nuance associated with these decisions.
    Be very careful with this line of reasoning -- it basically nullifies all fan debate, which is why we're all here. We all know the Twins actions, and we all know the Twins actions are not always perfect. The interesting points are the "how" and "why" behind those.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Also, Pino, Johnson, Darnell, Meyer, and May are a far cry from the likes of Walters, DeVries, and Hernandez. This notion that it's the "same old Twins MO" is an inaccurate portrayal. Yes, Meyer and May have brighter futures and they'll be promoted eventually, perhaps even later this season, but Pino and Johnson are hardly chopped liver. This team is on the way to maybe 74 wins, so what's the fuss about the timing of the debuts of these guys?
    It's precisely because the 2014 Twins are on their way to 74 wins, and we still have Correia, Pino, Johnson etc. as interesting alternatives/backups, that I'd like to see Meyer and May get some experience this year:
    - better to adjust to the league in a lost season than next year's hopefully better season (think Gibson 2013)
    - better to inform our rotation needs this winter -- do we need to bring back Correia or a similar veteran starter for 2015? should we target a higher-upside arm in trade/FA or may we already have some?
    - also we will need 40-man spots this winter, and while it's good to sort through Pino, Johnson, etc. now, we also should know how many of these AAAA swingmen types we really need going into 2015. If Meyer and May can show us now whether they can legitimately win rotation spots in spring training next year, we can afford fewer AAAA swingmen on the 40-man

This is where Burton/Guerrier are questionable roster choices right now (also Swarzak/Deduno) -- they are collecting innings in a lost season when odds are low that either is worth much in trade, and they are taking spots where Johnson, Pino, and Darnell could audition for their 40-man futures while Meyer and May get acclimated to future rotation roles.

24. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-10-2014), jokin (07-10-2014)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast