Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Article: Hump Day Happy Notes

  1. #21
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    697
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    498
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love watching baseball, so any day that isn't the offseason is a happy day for me. It would be a lot more fun if the Twins were performing better, but it is exciting to see some of the performances in the minor leagues.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Posts
    166
    Like
    0
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Hopefully they shake things up for once before the deadline, they're still not any closer to being contenders than they were 3 years ago so w/ that and their stocked farm system there is no reason to cling to any veterans that could appeal to another team.

  3. #23
    A.J. just got DFA'd in Boston - No question the Twins won the Free Agent catcher sweepstakes. When will the extension talks begin with Suzuki? Seems like we need to lock him in for another 2 years.

    In one short month, shortstop has become our deepest infield position in the system with Santana, Polanco and Gordon all playing impressively. Great to have options and potential trade chips that could bring great returns.

  4. #24
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesfan11 View Post
    OH! and Nick Burdi has struck out every batter he's retired in his past two appearances!!!
    Seems like a FIP comment should be appropriate but I can't quite think what.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    467
    Like
    220
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    Hopefully they shake things up for once before the deadline, they're still not any closer to being contenders than they were 3 years ago so w/ that and their stocked farm system there is no reason to cling to any veterans that could appeal to another team.
    I will politely disagree. Even with the rest of the season still to come, and final record a mystery yet to be uncovered, the Twins, even as constructed now, are far more competitive than they have been the past three seasons. And possible fixes and fixtures such as Dozier, Santana, Plouffe, Hughes, Gibson, Arcia, and even Nolasco once healthy again could and should be part of the rebuild the next few seasons. Hicks could still be a part of the equation, as can be Nunez and Escobar. We've also seen some of what Pinto might do/become last season and the begining of this season.

    Ive always enjoyed drafts, recruiting season, and the Twins minor leagues. I find the "what if" factor very enjoyable. And it's easy to get wrapped up in all the talented youngsters on their way up for our beloved Twins. And it's hard not to get impatient at times for their arrival. Hard to temper enthusiasm.

    But even with the setbacks to Buxton and Sano this season, and the missed early season by Rosario, the Twins minor leagues have so many success stories going on this season that. I just couldn't even begin to list them all.

    Look beyond impatience for a moment, and just drink in what May and Meyer have done thus far in only their first AAA seasons. Berrios just might be something special, which I've thought almost since day one.

    In addition to Santana's play, Polanco is having another outstanding season. He's hit even better since his cup of coffee with the Twins, and should be in AA soon. Vargas seems to have all the makings of a true impact bat. Walker is probably a little farther away, but is still performing and filled with talent.

    All of these kids, and a few more I'm not even mentioning, should all be either up with the Twins to begin the next season, or in AAA, with a couple in AA...not far away...and possible mid-season promotions who might see time at Target Field before the season is done. And we're talking top 20 talent here, not just solid gamers.

    And none of the names I've mentioned even include guys like Stewart, or Gordon, or several other high and lower A players having excellent showings. The next couple of years should be really fun!
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,223
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    155
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I love watching baseball, so any day that isn't the offseason is a happy day for me. It would be a lot more fun if the Twins were performing better, but it is exciting to see some of the performances in the minor leagues.
    Pretty much this. And it didn't snow today, either.

    Doesn't take much to make me happy. A trait learned from dogs. Although they like snow.
    Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
    I sleep all night and I work all day.

  7. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Tibs (07-09-2014)

  8. #27
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,852
    Like
    12
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    I will politely disagree. Even with the rest of the season still to come, and final record a mystery yet to be uncovered, the Twins, even as constructed now, are far more competitive than they have been the past three seasons. And possible fixes and fixtures such as Dozier, Santana, Plouffe, Hughes, Gibson, Arcia, and even Nolasco once healthy again could and should be part of the rebuild the next few seasons. Hicks could still be a part of the equation, as can be Nunez and Escobar. We've also seen some of what Pinto might do/become last season and the begining of this season.

    Ive always enjoyed drafts, recruiting season, and the Twins minor leagues. I find the "what if" factor very enjoyable. And it's easy to get wrapped up in all the talented youngsters on their way up for our beloved Twins. And it's hard not to get impatient at times for their arrival. Hard to temper enthusiasm.

    But even with the setbacks to Buxton and Sano this season, and the missed early season by Rosario, the Twins minor leagues have so many success stories going on this season that. I just couldn't even begin to list them all.

    Look beyond impatience for a moment, and just drink in what May and Meyer have done thus far in only their first AAA seasons. Berrios just might be something special, which I've thought almost since day one.

    In addition to Santana's play, Polanco is having another outstanding season. He's hit even better since his cup of coffee with the Twins, and should be in AA soon. Vargas seems to have all the makings of a true impact bat. Walker is probably a little farther away, but is still performing and filled with talent.

    All of these kids, and a few more I'm not even mentioning, should all be either up with the Twins to begin the next season, or in AAA, with a couple in AA...not far away...and possible mid-season promotions who might see time at Target Field before the season is done. And we're talking top 20 talent here, not just solid gamers.

    And none of the names I've mentioned even include guys like Stewart, or Gordon, or several other high and lower A players having excellent showings. The next couple of years should be really fun!
    I think this is spot on. The overall talent level in the organization is vastly improved over the past couple of years. It will take a couple of years for every for everything to shake out, but the future is bright, no reason to do anything crazy.

    That said, I think there is an opportunity during this deadline. There actually are some assets to move in the last year of their deals (plus some relief arms) and the Twins actually have some guys to replace them - especially arm wise. Some aggressive trades could really infuse the system with some additional depth while doing nothing to harm the long term future of the squad - and perhaps even helping by bringing the prospects up.
    Papers...business papers.

  9. #28
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    467
    Like
    220
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I think this is spot on. The overall talent level in the organization is vastly improved over the past couple of years. It will take a couple of years for every for everything to shake out, but the future is bright, no reason to do anything crazy.

    That said, I think there is an opportunity during this deadline. There actually are some assets to move in the last year of their deals (plus some relief arms) and the Twins actually have some guys to replace them - especially arm wise. Some aggressive trades could really infuse the system with some additional depth while doing nothing to harm the long term future of the squad - and perhaps even helping by bringing the prospects up.
    I like your thoughts. Yes, a few more years until the Twins prospects change, pun intended, but I maintain we're seeing the transformation begin this season, with the young players already mentioned, and those that should be ready soon.

    But slightly off topic, and yet still very much on target with the sentiment of this thread, I'm looking not only at the second half of this season, but also to 2015. Here is the situation I think our Twins find themselves: improving, working in talented youngsters, competitive, but not ready for prime time competition yet.

    There are some that seem to have the belief we should throw caution to the wind, cut and trade, if you can, almost every 30 y.o. veteran, promote every young player in the field at Rochester and New Britain, pitcher and position player, and just run with it, let them learn at the ML level, and be damned.

    But I think this is naive and self-defeating. Can we really expect Sano, Buxton, May, Meyer, Rosario, Pinto, etc, etc to just be plugged in April 2015 and expect anything more than losing? Some would say we've already done that, and this would be a new approach to losing that will build a team.

    I would argue the Twins are already getting better, already implementing a youth movement that will only increase the second half of this season, and during the duration of 2015. But I believe the Twins are also doing what they should, trying to win, trying to put the best product on the field they can, (despite a couple major personnel blunders), and promoting a better/winning/competitive team for the fans, the kids coming up to join a solid program, and for the future.

    Past experience and and logic would dictate the Twins are not going to trade, or simply release, 6-7 players at once. We have potential holes at CF, LF and DH next season, as well as at least 1 potentially key relief positions. Do we sign, or possibly trade for, a couple of decent, solid veterans for a year or two to fill these positions? Or do we really just turn to the kids?

    And if it's the kids, still with almost a half season to play and see what develops, tell me who you really and truly project to fill these roles? I'd love to hear the thoughts.
    "Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."
    --Lou Brown

  10. #29
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,852
    Like
    12
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    The way I see it - Correia, Willingham, Morales will not be on the team next year. There is no reason to keep them past August.

    Suzuki could go either way - high value now but certainly worth considering an extension. The one x factor is that the best position prospect the Twins have that can play in the majors right now is a C. He could theoretically be replaced for the rest of the season.

    Bullpen arms are what they are - and the Twins have guys in AAA to replace them.

    That is why I see this as a unique situation with guys with expiring contracts that actually have a little value along with bodies to fill the spots. The Twins certainly should be more aggressive this trade deadline than they have the past couple of years.
    Papers...business papers.

  11. #30
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I fail to see much of a youth movement this year, given that they are one of the older teams in all of MLB (even after the folly of Bartlett and Kubel being over). Here are the minor leaguers under the age of 30 that made their debut this year:

    Santana
    Tonkin (back in AAA)
    Polanco (back in A ball)

    Did I miss one? Not sure how that is a huge infusion of youth this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

  12. #31
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,580
    Like
    199
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I fail to see much of a youth movement this year, given that they are one of the older teams in all of MLB (even after the folly of Bartlett and Kubel being over). Here are the minor leaguers under the age of 30 that made their debut this year:

    Santana
    Tonkin (back in AAA)
    Polanco (back in A ball)

    Did I miss one? Not sure how that is a huge infusion of youth this year.
    Tonkin actually debuted in 2013.

  13. #32
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    133
    Like
    4
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I think Polanco's brief call-up will prove to be very useful in his development. Now he knows he can play at the major league level, which should give him a lot of incentive to work on his skills. I really enjoyed his speed and enthusiasm.

  14. #33
    Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Posts
    166
    Like
    0
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    I like your thoughts. Yes, a few more years until the Twins prospects change, pun intended, but I maintain we're seeing the transformation begin this season, with the young players already mentioned, and those that should be ready soon.

    But slightly off topic, and yet still very much on target with the sentiment of this thread, I'm looking not only at the second half of this season, but also to 2015. Here is the situation I think our Twins find themselves: improving, working in talented youngsters, competitive, but not ready for prime time competition yet.

    There are some that seem to have the belief we should throw caution to the wind, cut and trade, if you can, almost every 30 y.o. veteran, promote every young player in the field at Rochester and New Britain, pitcher and position player, and just run with it, let them learn at the ML level, and be damned.

    But I think this is naive and self-defeating. Can we really expect Sano, Buxton, May, Meyer, Rosario, Pinto, etc, etc to just be plugged in April 2015 and expect anything more than losing? Some would say we've already done that, and this would be a new approach to losing that will build a team.

    I would argue the Twins are already getting better, already implementing a youth movement that will only increase the second half of this season, and during the duration of 2015. But I believe the Twins are also doing what they should, trying to win, trying to put the best product on the field they can, (despite a couple major personnel blunders), and promoting a better/winning/competitive team for the fans, the kids coming up to join a solid program, and for the future.

    Past experience and and logic would dictate the Twins are not going to trade, or simply release, 6-7 players at once. We have potential holes at CF, LF and DH next season, as well as at least 1 potentially key relief positions. Do we sign, or possibly trade for, a couple of decent, solid veterans for a year or two to fill these positions? Or do we really just turn to the kids?

    And if it's the kids, still with almost a half season to play and see what develops, tell me who you really and truly project to fill these roles? I'd love to hear the thoughts.
    It's true there isn't much depth but the fact that the young guys coming up will struggle in their 1st few seasons is exactly why it doesn't pay to keep veterans around if they can bring in anything of value. Once the "kids" start reaching their potential those same veterans will be useless. You can always backfill with free agents in the off season.

  15. #34
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ugh, i didn't mean to post that in this thread.....sorry about that! But now it has been quoted.

    I'll balance it by more positives than I mentioned before:
    Buxton is back
    Meyer and May are both good in AAA
    Suzuki has been good offensively
    they still have one great stadium, love it
    the beer and food selection is still very good there
    they did make a few hard decisions faster this year
    they did DL some players faster recently, and did not leave Gardy short handed
    Berrios
    Burdi's last two appearances
    ......
    Lighten up Francis....

  16. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    581
    Like
    146
    Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The tip to check out Gordon caused me to notice that the second position player chosen this past June, Max Murphy, is even more killing the ball, batting .424 including 5 HR in 77 PA, for a positively sick 1.350 OPS. Don't talk to me about SSS - move over Byron Buxton, this guy plays CF too.
    I'm sure you know this, but he is a college guy. It's nice to see, but he is 21 already. For Gordon, hitting at this level (SSS aside) could indicate something special. For Murphy, it just means he will get to continue his trek through the obstacle course that is MiLB. It's still a happy note, just not that happy. He won't be supplanting Buxton as the top prospect anytime soon. Gordon, if he moves up and keeps hitting like he has been, might.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.