Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/7): Sano Cleared to Throw

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    First Buxton plays, now Sano is throwing. Is it half Christmas?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    First Buxton plays, now Sano is throwing. Is it half Christmas?
    That's the juice we're trying to get you to drink. Focus on all the positives.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 168 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buxton and Sano healthy enough to play and/or do ANYTHING productive might not only be the highlights of the Twins milb season, despite some outstanding stories, but maybe the highlights of the entire season overall.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whats up with Gordon's errors? Are they throwing errors? I know errors can be a strange stat but 4 seems high for a kid who is supposed to be a slick fielder

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you, especially with Nolasco "ailing" that May will be in Minnesota this month, along hopefully with some of his other Red Wing cohorts from the rotation

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Whats up with Gordon's errors? Are they throwing errors? I know errors can be a strange stat but 4 seems high for a kid who is supposed to be a slick fielder
    I wouldn't worry about it. He's fine with the glove. I don't really worry too much about errors unless it's an extreme number until it's being done at higher levels. The fields aren't always manicured as nicely as the big league ballparks.

He's also playing at a level he's never seen before. He may be rushing a little bit. In time, the game will slow down.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    I think it's really hard to judge without seeing the error. The whole argument of well if he wouldn't have gotten to it, it would have been a hit. Still 4 errors in like 15 or so games isn't good but just like all his positive stats small sample size so it's hard to take too much from them.

That said, if the kid keeps hitting like this I would love to see a call up to Cedar Rapids like they did with Buxton just to see if he can hack it there. Sure seems like he can handle the bat so far.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Tray Vavra and Tyler Kuresa also have made 4 errors combined at 1B so far which may indicate they are not strong fielding 1B. They may not be able to pick his throws that the average 1B would be able to.

Anyone know what kind of velocity Cederoth is bringing as a starter? Usually these guys lose some MPH after moving from the pen, but he had high 90's heat when we was in the rotation in 2013.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    That said, if the kid keeps hitting like this I would love to see a call up to Cedar Rapids like they did with Buxton just to see if he can hack it there. Sure seems like he can handle the bat so far.
    I was thinking something similar, give him a taste of Cedar Rapids to see how he handles it, so that we know he can go up to Cedar Rapids next year for the full season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Gordon hasn't even done his first load of laundry as a minor league ballplayer. He'll likely get everything he can handle in Etown and fall instructionals.

12. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (07-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 168 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also don't worry about errors for milb prospects at the various infield positions. As Seth pointed out, no matter how nice the facilities may be, or not be, at certain parks, they aren't the quality of a ML park. They are also learning nuances of the game at a higher and faster level. And the 1B they are throwing to are also learning at this stage as well. Even the best 1B have to work on foot positioning and digs and the speed of the game.

What is most telling to me is not only fewer errors as they climb the ladder, but take Sano the past year or so, or even Polanco this season, you want to see the errors in the early part of the season, and decreasing as the season goes along. It indicates comfort levels, mechanical smoothness, adjustment to the speed of the game, and even more confidence.

Liked 389 Times in 258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hooray!

yeah let's not rush Gordon. He's many many years away from the bigs...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    I think it's really hard to judge without seeing the error. The whole argument of well if he wouldn't have gotten to it, it would have been a hit. Still 4 errors in like 15 or so games isn't good but just like all his positive stats small sample size so it's hard to take too much from them.

Buxton never got to Cedar Rapids his first season. In fact, he did terrible for 5-6 weeks in the GCL after signing and went to Elizabethton for the last 3-4 weeks in Elizabethton (where he didn't hit much).

Like Buxton, Gordon will start his first full season in Cedar Rapids. We shall see if he has a year like Buxton did there last year.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    yeah let's not rush Gordon. He's many many years away from the bigs...

"rush" is a loaded, self-fulfilling word, isn't it? Other elite SS prospects have come up around 21 or 22, actually, that is when elite prospects generally make the majors for the past 15 or so years. Are we all suggesting he is not elite already?

He should, imo, be promoted just before he is ready, to challenge him. I understand others have a different philosophy.
    Lighten up Francis....

18. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (07-09-2014)