Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Is Joe Mauer hurt or just slumping?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Is Joe Mauer hurt or just slumping?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Every other time I would say, "he's hurt" but this time I think he is in a slump. I guess there is the combination option--he has played a bit too much for a still-majority catcher. A few more days off would have been helpful.

Blog Entries
    Doumit catching 2 out of every three games for a few weeks is not going to ruin this team any further. Maybe Doumit does that with Mauer at 1B for two weeks. Big deal. No Butera needed.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's a frightening third option: that Mauer's numerous physical ailments have fundamentally weakened him as a hitter. I'm hoping this is not the case but the possibility cannot be ignored. His GB/FB ratios over the past couple seasons have been hugely inflated from previous career norms...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    There's a frightening third option: that Mauer's numerous physical ailments have fundamentally weakened him as a hitter. I'm hoping this is not the case but the possibility cannot be ignored. His GB/FB ratios over the past couple seasons have been hugely inflated from previous career norms...
    But wouldn't the line drive rate be a sign against this? I still think he is going to homer more than most expect this year, but to do so does require some rest!

Liked 2,997 Times in 1,272 Posts
    At the same time, if the team wants to ensure that he is available throughout the duration of the season, they may need to sit him a little more regularly than they have been doing up to this point.

There is another option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    At the same time, if the team wants to ensure that he is available throughout the duration of the season, they may need to sit him a little more regularly than they have been doing up to this point.

There is another option.
    What? Moving him to 3B?

Thank you for finally pointing this out. He's definitely been hurt and you can see it in his swing. We need to find him a permanent new position. This is getting ridiculous.

Maybe he is off the juice? He pulled the greatest power spike outside of Brady Anderson right before his big payday and ever since he is back to being an excellent line drive hitter with no pop. If he were on any other team, we would be laughing and saying said team was screwed by a juicer who pumped up his stats to get the big payay and then quit when the stats were no longer needed.

With Mauer's contract, if he is a 5-7 hr a year 3B or 1B his contract will be easily the worst in baseball. You could sign a Casey Kotchman for $500k to give you that sort of production at 1B. HE MUST CATCH FULL TIME TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO HAVING ANY VALUE.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 531 Times in 352 Posts
    Can we stop the ridiculous hall of fame talk now?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's only the 2nd week of May.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I don't think he's been over-used at C so far this year. He's started less than 1/2 the games there. I sure hope it's just a slump, if not in a couple years, we could be comparing him to guys like Zito, Wells and Soriano for the worst contract ever. And yes, he has to be a regular catcher for the Twins to get full value from him. If he's not catching his bat doesn't justify the huge payday. I think both he and the Twins know that, too. Anyway, let's hope he starts turning some of those grounders to 2nd into line drives. I wonder if there are any stats that show his batting line with or without Mourneau in the lineup. It seems to me that he hits better with Mourneau in the lineup, but that's just a huge guess based upon my probably shaded memory. I still would like to see him take a hack at some of those first pitch fastballs he always lays off, too!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Yeah, that's my fear, too.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    The correct answer is both - Mauer is hurt, AND he's slumping.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm highly concerned that last year the organization's awful communication about his injuries as well as the media's criticism of him last season led to the fanbase turning against him. That monster is now well out of control and has led to unreal expectations for him regarding reasonable playing time and playing while hurt. Additionally, from those same areas there have been expectations about power hitting and leadership that just don't seem to be who Joe Mauer is, but is expected to develop into simply because the Twins gave him a big contract, as if money were wishes.

This environment, including the the team losing, may likely be leading both the Twins an Mauer Into making poor decisions that aren't going to help him be as effective as he can be.
    Last edited by Alex; 05-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I don't think he's been over-used at C so far this year. He's started less than 1/2 the games there. I sure hope it's just a slump, if not in a couple years, we could be comparing him to guys like Zito, Wells and Soriano for the worst contract ever. And yes, he has to be a regular catcher for the Twins to get full value from him. If he's not catching his bat doesn't justify the huge payday. I think both he and the Twins know that, too. Anyway, let's hope he starts turning some of those grounders to 2nd into line drives. I wonder if there are any stats that show his batting line with or without Mourneau in the lineup. It seems to me that he hits better with Mourneau in the lineup, but that's just a huge guess based upon my probably shaded memory. I still would like to see him take a hack at some of those first pitch fastballs he always lays off, too!
    We don't have to wait a couple of years to call this one of the worst contracts ever.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm really hopeing it's just a slump. Would hate to see things get worse for him.

We need to get him back to hitting .330. He has no value catching if he can only hit .270 while doing so. I agree the contract was based on him catching, but he has proven his body cannot handle it.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr9617 View Post
    We don't have to wait a couple of years to call this one of the worst contracts ever.
    Well, I have to disagree. If he starts hitting like he did in 2010 while catching 70% of the games, it will be a fair contract for both sides. I think a lot of people underestimate how valuable it is to have a catcher that can both hit and play decent defense. It's a rare breed and allows you to have a no-hit good field guy somewhere else in the lineup without taking an hit compared to other teams.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 531 Times in 352 Posts
    Agreed, if Mauer hits like the best player in baseball, this contract is fair. Given that he's only done that 1 year, that seems unlikely, though, right?
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast