Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America: Midseason Top 50 Prospects (5 Twins!)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is exciting. Jason Parks spoke about his list on today's Effectively Wild podcast.

Midseason lists need a little perspective. Players in the majors do not qualify so Taveras, Polanco, Betts... are not eligible. Recently drafted and recently signed international players are not eligible.

The pool of players is smaller and a number 30 prospect midseason is not the same as a number 30 in the winter. If Berrios, Stewart and Meyer drop towards 50 in the winter it won't be because the opinion of the players has dropped. It will be because the pool of players is larger.

2. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-07-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Here's some reports from that BP chat, gunnarthor pointed to.
    Tom (MN): Reports from Fort Myers have Jose Berrios getting the bump to AA New Britain today. What are you going to be looking for out of him as he makes the jump?[
    Jason Parks on the Top 50: The ability to make his pitch when he needs to make his pitch, and to sequence his arsenal multiple times through better orders. Double-A is always a good test for prospects, both on the mound and in the box,
    flashtheleather (In the 6 hole): Alex Meyer at 12? Does this mean your team thinks he has an elite ceiling, or ready for the bigs, or both? He still seems to have a little issue with the walks, but the Ks keep coming. Do you have a report on his changeup development?
    Jason Parks on the Top 50: Elite is a strong word, but I think he offers impact potential in his ceiling (#2 starter) and his floor (frontline closer). That's a nice profile to bring to the table and helps balance the risk/reward.
    Can anyone confirm that Berrios is going to AA today?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    That's what makes this farm system even more exciting. A year or 2 ago there was a lot of promise at the lower minors, but you had to kind of reserve your excitement for guys that are so far away. Now with them showing success at AA/AAA, the future is looking better than ever.
    Yeah, good point. Arguably our current top 10 is Buxton, Sano, Meyer, Stewart, Berrios, Gordon, Rosario, Polacno, May, Thorpe? Mlb.com's top 10 Twins for 2011 were: Hicks, Gibson, Sano, Arcia, Benson, Hendriks, Gutierrez, Salcedo, Dean and Wimmers. The first four are solid but there is a huge drop between that 5-10 and now.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Here's some reports from that BP chat, gunnarthor pointed to.

Can anyone confirm that Berrios is going to AA today?
    Yes, I can. Not sure if that helps, but I can confirm it.

6. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-07-2014), PseudoSABR (07-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yep, I'm excited to see how he does in AA. Jason Parks at BP is having a chat and defended Berrios' delivery against KLaw:
    Jason Parks on the Top 50: We have put eyes on him this season and movement wasn't an issue with his fastball. This is why seeing players in person is so vital when forming and propagating scouting opinion. Here's a good (free) report on Berrios from Jeff Moore: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pr...p?reportid=105
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...1404750495#new
    Ha, the question didn't list KLaw by name but it was clearly him that the individual was referencing. I like to think that Parks knew this and his response was a shot at KLaw.

8. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    ya, because KLAW never goes sees players....why are people obsessed with KLAW? One guy can't go see everyone, but it his job to talk to people that do see the guys he can't, and to process those conversations.
    Lighten up Francis....

10. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

UCLA_YANKEE_COLA (07-08-2014), WLFINN (07-07-2014)

of the five twins on the lists, i'm most surprised by stewart. understood that he's been being handled with kid gloves so the lists must have taken that into account. encouraging.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @JimCrikket
    Liked 101 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stewart is on what seems to be a pretty strict 70 pitch per start limit, intended to keep his workload under control and get through an entire full season. The result of that is that, even when he's pitching pretty well, he doesn't necessarily get through 5 full innings, which means he can't get a "win" in those games. Of course, it doesn't keep him from getting nicked for a loss if CR is behind when he exits.

Long way of saying, yes, it's good that these folks are looking a bit deeper than W-L record anyway.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for
    MetroSportsReport.comwhile my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

13. This user likes SD Buhr's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

maxisagod (07-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 88 Times in 31 Posts
    Take a look at the number Berrios put up in his first full season of pro ball at Cedar Rapids last year. That transition is not an easy one.

Stewart is still VERY young, and is pitching better than Berrios did at the same level and roughly the same age. He'll be just fine.

Senior Member MVP
    I have no issue with the Stewart approach, for Stewart. He was a two sport guy, that did not concentrate on pitching. This should be a transition year for him. I think their approach makes sense (in terms of pitches per game, I have no idea if their approach on not using his slider much makes sense).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I have no issue with the Stewart approach, for Stewart. He was a two sport guy, that did not concentrate on pitching. This should be a transition year for him. I think their approach makes sense (in terms of pitches per game, I have no idea if their approach on not using his slider much makes sense).
    I agree that this works for Stewart. I think the first full year for a high school draftee is about building innings and getting used to taking a turn every 5 days (instead of every week). There is a reason that Stewart is still high on the BA/BP lists even without the huge k/9 number. Next year will be the moving year for him.

The interesting debate for me is to start him in the rotation in April and limit pitches per outing, or to hold him back in extended and start him if May/June and let him go full go. I think using the first approach for Stewart tells me he is on the fast track.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is very good for the Twins future. That is also why making trades for the right price could speed up the process. therefore Dozier should be front and center to be traded for the right deal. You can never have enough talent.
    Twins probably will finish low enough this year to get one last high draft pick, that will also help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yep, I'm excited to see how he does in AA. Jason Parks at BP is having a chat and defended Berrios' delivery against KLaw:
    Jason Parks on the Top 50: We have put eyes on him this season and movement wasn't an issue with his fastball. This is why seeing players in person is so vital when forming and propagating scouting opinion. Here's a good (free) report on Berrios from Jeff Moore: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/pr...p?reportid=105
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...1404750495#new
    I found it interesting that they have concerns about downward plane. That is the primary concern of Law. AA will be a great test for this.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Mike, I think the 'no sliders' thing is a myth at this point. From SD Buhr's interview with Kohl a few weeks ago:

Finally, there has been some concern among a segment of the fan base with regard to Stewart's modest strikeout rate this summer. He was asked how important strikeouts are to him.

“I don't know how important they are but it's a number that everybody's going to look at. That's the thing that me and Ivan are working on right now actually, because I've had a lot of guys where I want them. It's just about making that one pitch.

“I think I have those pitches that I need that get guys to strike out with. It's about throwing the slider in the right spot. It's not just about throwing the slider as hard as I can and getting guys out with it."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    It would be great if he was striking out closer to a guy per inning but other than that, good ERA, limiting home runs, good WHIP 2-1 GO/AO ratio. All with this being his first year in pro ball. While he's not making me excited that we have a future Ace, I'm not too disappointed either.

21. This user likes halfchest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sweetwater (07-07-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    This is very good for the Twins future. That is also why making trades for the right price could speed up the process. therefore Dozier should be front and center to be traded for the right deal. You can never have enough talent.
    Twins probably will finish low enough this year to get one last high draft pick, that will also help.
    I guess I don't get this. Dozier has 3 or 4 more years of team control and a long term deal would probably buy out a year or two of FA. He's just starting his prime, which means we get him through that timeframe. He has a potential heir in Rosario, but he's not ready now and won't be ready next year. Next year should still be a pretty decent year for this team, so I don't see why he should be traded. Dozier fits in the future. I'd keep him.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who's taking about trading dozier now? I'm taking about trading him in a couple seasons when the middle infield talent is ready.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love KLAW, but I think he's punishing Berrios a bit too much for not being 6'4". Its impossible to know how much his downward plane (or lack thereof) will effect him down the road. If I'm reading his stats correctly, his fly ball rate has been pretty high in the FSL. So I wouldn't be surprised if tougher competition and less forgiving ball parks cause him to give up more HR's. Still, if he's able to keep striking out guys and not giving away walks, he could be one of those guys that succeeds despite being prone to the occasional HR.

Senior Member MVP
    Agreed, he could, but KLaw, rightly or wrongly, is talking odds and likelihood. What is mor likely, that years of outcome are true for Berrios, or that he is an outlier? I have no idea, but dismissing KLAW, like many here do, is an odd choice.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mike klaw is wrong often, as are many evaluators. Delmon young was once a top prospect, wrong. He has types of players he likes and berrios just doesn't fit his mold. He is right that it's possible to hold him back, but it's just as possible to not matter. Has klaw even seen him pitch?
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 07-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast