Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Nolasco Presents a Big Problem

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    That is a 17% increase in a pitch that doesn't work well......some awesome strategy there.
    I'd think this is on Suzuki primarily... Anderson/Gardy second. This to me is something that Anderson and Gardy need to work with Suzuki to have him adjust his approach with Nolasco.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Context. TR was always operating under a Metrodome budget when the team was good.
    didn't I actually say that in this thread?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why can't you option him? Or bullpen him? A terrible move by the front office.
    Ahem, it was not so terrible when they signed. If I recall, the general tone of the conversation here was : "Halleluiah! They finally opened up their pocket books!"
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The pitcher decides what he wants to throw. Certainly he consults before games with the pitching coach and catcher, but it still is the guy on the mound who determines what will be thrown. I would put almost all of the blame on Nolasco. He's a veteran and he knows what works for him and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I doubt it will discourage them. Hughes is looking like the Twins got the steal of the FA period and they have him for another 2 years at a cheap rate. That contract is going to be very very very valuable if he's doing the same thing next year at this time. At that point, the Twins should be thinking extension or trade if he's not planning on sticking around. They should have enough pitching in AAA to replace him.

I suspect the Twins just have a very different philosophy. FA is used to find place holders when you are bad and plug a gaping hole when you are good. I'd like to see them target more upside type deals like the Cubs did with Feldman last year, but I think Kubel technically counts as that. I'm still scratching my head with Bartlett though.
    I think with Pelfrey and Correia you saw the stop gap measures over the last couple of years. I think Hughes and Nolasco (and don't forget, the offered Garza 50+million over for years too), you saw a front office that may not be competing this year, but is adding guys it thought would be around when they are competing in the next year or two.

As for Anderson, I don't think he can be blamed for all the pitching struggles this organization had had recently, but I don't think he's helped. And considering his propensity to focus on fastball command (which isn't Nolasco's forte), I'd like to see what he does with a new pitching coach

Humor!

PHP Code:
    The question is whether the Twins (1are good at evaluating major league ready pitching talent; and (2are capable of nurturing their minor league depth to turn into reliable major league pitchers

So the line, good at evaluating major league ready pitching talent. How many starters did they have to choose from in the FA market? Were you thinking trade? Plouffe for Wainwright or Cueto? Hicks and Dozier for Wacha or Zimmerman. The Twins had no choice, you have seen whats happened with the AAA pitchers ready to come up. They have nothing, compounded by the fact they can't trade any major league talent because no one wants what they have. Do you think anyone would want one of the Twins hottest prospects in Oswaldo Arcia? If the Twins had more talent he would be in Rochester. Here is the question, can the Twins minor league system develop pitching talent and turn that talent into strong major league pitching? St. Louis, Oakland does it, but so many teams don't, it's a tough gig. Look at Gibson, now a 500 pitcher hopefully will get better, but when he looked bad, he looked bad. When was the last Twins pitcher who came up through the system who was successful? I think they will have a good field team in 2-3 years, they still need more pitching in the minors. Like right now they should have 3 in Rochester and 3 in NB who would be legit starters and they don't.

Super frustrating to not see him succeed. On the other hand, the Twins fans need to keep the long view. We have him for three more years and we have to assume, given his track record, his problems are correctable. To me, we need to keep throwing him out there and let him work on his issues, continue to acclimate himself to the AL and hopefully show success by the end of the year - giving him something to build on for 2015.

If Meyer or May were available, I might think differently. But I don't think bringing up Darnell or Johnson are the answers at this point.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I don't know about the pitch calling aspect, since presumably Nolasco could tell his catcher beforehand not to call so many fastballs? But Suzuki is a horrible pitch framer, which certainly doesn't help, and Nolasco has been a bit unlucky on top of not being good in general.

I liked the signing at the time. I still think he'll ultimately be OK.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins went out and spent big on free agent pitching during the offseason, and yet they still can't seem to escape the same old outcome: eroded depth and a totally inadequate starting staff.

TR went out and signed Nolasco. Scott Kazmir signed a 2 year deal for less money per year. No one anywhere would have suggested that Nolasco has the ceiling that Kazmir has.

TR is into risk avoidance. He would rather have a 31 year old league average pitcher than a 30 year old who is clearly far superior, but has been injured in the past. (Kazmir's 2nd half last year was excellent)

This is not the attitude that wins a World Series title.
    In this day and age, I do not believe it is the attitude that will ever win a World Series title.

I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

10. These 2 users like Oldgoat_MN's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (07-07-2014), mike wants wins (07-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
    My non-expert suggestion would be to swap Ricky and Deduno for a few passes through the rotation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trade him to the Pirates.

13. These 2 users like righty8383's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (07-07-2014), WLFINN (07-07-2014)

It's just very discouraging to see yet another pitcher go in the tank when they get here, and pitchers that have been here and have gone other places get better - the common denominator??? Andy and Gardy!

Can anyone recall Gardy using that kind of language on a veteran? Makes me wonder if Nolasco is somehow willfully screwing up.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It starts with his fastball. His fastball sets up everything. He hasn't been able to control it. To make it worse, he can't control his breaking pitch either. He gets behind hitters and then throws a meatball over the plate that gets crushed.

If Ricky has any chance of turning things around, he MUST control his fastball. I think some bullpen time is what he needs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kris Johnson
    Look into his stats both this year and last year. He is someone who should start getting on the Radar

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mayb we could fly up the pitching coach from Pittsburg to take a look

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    I'm with Nicksaviking, if he fails.....ok. It stinks, but it does happen. Just don't stop wading aggressively into FA. This move was far more important for that reason than the actual results. (Which is sad, results should matter, but with this club just the effort was a welcome change)
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 07-07-2014 at 01:04 PM.

20. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (07-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    With over 1,000 IP at a 4.37 under his belt prior to this year, I really hope this is an anomoly. I am guessing it is and he will normalize at some point to a slightly higher ERA than that.
    He'll "normalize" for 2014 only if he has a 2.84 ERA for the rest of 2014. Here's my new cheer for the rest of the year..."Go Nolasco! Normalize!" I hope he does.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Mayb we could fly up the pitching coach from Pittsburg to take a look
    Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rukavina View Post
    Can anyone recall Gardy using that kind of language on a veteran? Makes me wonder if Nolasco is somehow willfully screwing up.
    I agree with you, coming from Gardy that's unusual. More than willfully screwing up, maybe they sense a lack of effort intensity, like "I've got my contract so I don't have to work that hard" thing. I could be totally wrong, but it gives that impression.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast