The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Nolasco Presents a Big Problem

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Part of me says just let him pitch through it. We're not going anywhere this year. Neither is Nolasco.

Also, doghouse. He's lucky he got in while there's still room.

3. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kirby_Waved_At_Me (07-07-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Just remember, this is all Andy's fault. Hughes himself gets the credit for a good year, but any bad performance is on the pitching coach.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    I want to take this opportunity to apologize to the Twins defense by using them to make excuses for Nolasco back in May. The high BABIP that Nolasco has is not just bad luck, and it certainly isn't bad defense alone. He's giving up frozen ropes all over the field.

I do think something needs to be done about his spot in the rotation. In a three year contract it may be early to dump him, but he doesn't need to start every fifth day if he's just going to have a terrible game that way.

Skip his turn once, or demote him to bullpen duty, or something like that. Use that extra time to really focus on his location and see if there's something off about his mechanics that's making him lose velocity on his fastball.

Find a reason to give him a short stint on the DL and give Meyer his start(s). It's 2015 audition time. I'm not sure I want to see Nolasco come rolling out of the pen right now with the way he's throwing. Give him a week or two to "get healthy" and maybe he comes back to salvage his season without being officially demoted.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Just remember, this is all Andy's fault. Hughes himself gets the credit for a good year, but any bad performance is on the pitching coach.
    I hope you're being sarcastic here...
    It is unfortunate that Nolasco has struggled so much. Hopefully its just an off year.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Why can't you option him? Or bullpen him? A terrible move by the front office.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With over 1,000 IP at a 4.37 under his belt prior to this year, I really hope this is an anomoly. I am guessing it is and he will normalize at some point to a slightly higher ERA than that.

I have a perfect Twins Way solution...bring back Pelfrey so Nolasco doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    I wasn't a Nolasco fan, but I said at the time I was still thrilled that the front office finally had the courage to partake in free agency. I'm still glad they tried.

I just hope that wasting good money in free agency teaches the front office that they were only wrong about what kind of pitcher to get doesn't actually scare them away from it altogether.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I hope you're being sarcastic here...
    It is unfortunate that Nolasco has struggled so much. Hopefully its just an off year.
    I read it as sarcasm, but who knows, maybe there's truth in it?

Posters on other Nolasco threads have suggested Nolasco might depend less on his low 90s fastball and work on really varying his pitch selection. And that Suzuki calls more fastballs than other catchers, which doesn't help. Conversely, on the radio this week Gardenhire said Nolasco had to set up his breaking ball by working on command of his fastball, and keeping his shoulder closed (maybe because that's how pitchers from Japan pitch) -- in other words, more fastballs. In other words, Gardy had no idea either. I have no idea what Nolasco's problem is, or what his pitch selection was Sunday, or if he busted out his Hideo Nomo delivery.

I'm also hoping it's just an off year.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I wasn't a Nolasco fan, but I said at the time I was still thrilled that the front office finally had the courage to partake in free agency. I'm still glad they tried.

I just hope that wasting good money in free agency teaches the front office that they were only wrong about what kind of pitcher to get doesn't actually scare them away from it altogether.
    I doubt it will discourage them. Hughes is looking like the Twins got the steal of the FA period and they have him for another 2 years at a cheap rate. That contract is going to be very very very valuable if he's doing the same thing next year at this time. At that point, the Twins should be thinking extension or trade if he's not planning on sticking around. They should have enough pitching in AAA to replace him.

I suspect the Twins just have a very different philosophy. FA is used to find place holders when you are bad and plug a gaping hole when you are good. I'd like to see them target more upside type deals like the Cubs did with Feldman last year, but I think Kubel technically counts as that. I'm still scratching my head with Bartlett though.

Senior Member MVP
    Well, we've never seen TR plug a gaping hole via a legit FA when the team is good, so we don't KNOW that is his strategy in his return. I certainly hope it is.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 164 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Well, we've never seen TR plug a gaping hole via a legit FA when the team is good, so we don't KNOW that is his strategy in his return. I certainly hope it is.
    Thome? I agree though, it's been rare that the Twins have been just one piece away, so it's hard to tell what the strategy might should that situation arise again...

Liked 1,274 Times in 738 Posts
    The Twins went out and spent big on free agent pitching during the offseason, and yet they still can't seem to escape the same old outcome: eroded depth and a totally inadequate starting staff.

At what point do you look at the team's overall pitching philosophy? I'm not making excuses for Nolasco but Nolasco isn't the only problem here. We also have the Pelfrey signing. We have Meyer who has been inconsistent. We have May who was looking pretty good before injury but wasn't given a look-see. We see Worley go to Pittsburgh and have success.

I know that many posters on TD are excited about the depth of pitching talent in the minors. I have concerns about whether that minor league depth will translate to good pitching in the majors.

I'm not specifically blaming Rick Anderson (or anyone else in the organization) for Nolasco's troubles -- most of that falls on Nolasco's shoulders. In looking over the threads from when Nolasco was signed, TD posters were generally supportive but not overwhelmed by the Nolasco signing. He was seen mostly as a solid 3/4 -- an innings eater, not necessarily a staff leader. Obviously he hasn't even done that. There were a few posters who foresaw Nolasco's struggles so even this doesn't come as a complete surprise (and maybe someone with the Twins should have foreseen those struggles).

The question is whether the Twins (1) are good at evaluating major league ready pitching talent; and (2) are capable of nurturing their minor league depth to turn into reliable major league pitchers.

I don't have a very good feeling about the answers to either of those questions.

17. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-07-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    Thome? I agree though, it's been rare that the Twins have been just one piece away, so it's hard to tell what the strategy might should that situation arise again...
    They spent the entire first decade of this century a DH or LF away, and did nothing at all to add players in terms of FA. You can blame the dome, or you can blame the GM who once said he didn't sign Knoblauch to an extension because he thought salaries would drop the next year.......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Given that they have signed NUMEROUS FA pitchers over the years, and only 1 has worked, you do have to question something about what is going on. Or, you can just accept that they have the jobs, therefore they deserve them, and we should never question them. Either one is a reasonable approach, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Posters on other Nolasco threads have suggested Nolasco might depend less on his low 90s fastball and work on really varying his pitch selection. And that Suzuki calls more fastballs than other catchers, which doesn't help.
    I just looked at Fangraphs at his pitch types and he is throwing 8.7% more fastballs this year than last year. That means in 2014 you are getting a mediocre fastball 57.8% of the time vs 2013 when it was only 49.1% of the time. In my mind Gardy, Suzuki, and Anderson need to take a hard look in the mirror and think about if they are truly utilizing the skillset Nolasco has or if their adjustment of his pitch selection is setting him up for failure.

Senior Member MVP
    That is a 17% increase in a pitch that doesn't work well......some awesome strategy there.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Context. TR was always operating under a Metrodome budget when the team was good.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast