Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Twins expect to move Hammer Correia after break

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Heyman: Twins expect to move Hammer Correia after break

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/...ins-turnaround

Not really news but sorta news. Twins will be listening to offers on Hammer and Correia after the ASB. Hammer will be one of the better RH power options on the market but Correia will be harder to move.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's hoping they both get hot

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    That should get us some fresh balls for BP. I like the move
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Hammer should return something more than a bucket of balls. Not sure about Correia. The Yankees might be a fit, with the news that Sabathia is done and the poor performances of his replacement.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Ryan can get something for Sweet Drew, I'm sure he can get something for the sunshine band.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Man do I hope this is true. Watching guys nearing 40 play their way to 90 losses does get depressing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Man do I hope this is true. Watching guys nearing 40 play their way to 90 losses does get depressing.
    It is much more exciting to see 25 year old players battle to hit even the Mendoza line

8. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Blackjack (07-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope that isnt all they plan on moving. I would add Guerrier to that list and possibly Duensing. I believe the Twins non tender Duensing and then re sign him in the offseason anyway. I would add Burton to this list but I honestly believe there simply is no market for him and that if he were packaged the return might be less.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    "..... but they are starting to tell teams that if they aren't contending later this month they'll make outfielder Josh Willingham and right-handed starter Kevin Correia available...."

Somebody really has to have a talk with Terry and tell him this team is not a playoff contender!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heyman is one of the most frustrating national writers to read, because he is using useless numbers to make his arguments. Ergo:

(Willingham) is hitting just .228 with seven home runs and 23 RBI this year.
    Willingham missed a whole bunch of games and that hurt his HR total. He really is "hitting" .229/.377/.458 for .835 OPS and 133 OPS+ How many hitters are available out there with 133 OPS+ ?

Correia, who is 5-10 with a 4.95 ERA
    that 5-10 is as relevant for Correia as 6-3 (his listed height), and not to mention wrong. His record is 4-10. BUT. His FIP is 4.11, which is less than his All Star year (it was 4.85) and his best since 2009. A pitcher to build your rotation around? No. But he is better than the likes of Chris Capuano (signed by the Dodgers last week) and AAAA starters to be the fifth starter in a competitive team. If someone is willing to sign Chris Capuano, they should be willing to give something for Correia. Not that hard of a sell...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Heyman is one of the most frustrating national writers to read, because he is using useless numbers to make his arguments. Ergo:
    I don't think anyone reads Heyman for stats. He's one of the better plugged in writers in baseball and when he says the Twins will make Hammer available it probably has a lot more authority when some internet blogger says the Twins will resign Scott Baker. :-)

I think, so long as he stays healthy, Hammer will have real value since RH power is one of the hardest things to find right now and offense in general is down. And Ryan was able to get something for Liriano, Buetera, Morneau so I think he'll get something for Correia. I do hope he listens on offers for Dozier since, with Rosario, Polanco, Santana, Gordon we should be able to replace him and I think he could get us a really good piece back. But we'll see.

13. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (07-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It is much more exciting to see 25 year old players battle to hit even the Mendoza line
    Whose fault is that? Get rid of both of these inane tendencies.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    Whatever they return, there's a good chance it won't be any less than what these guys have left to contribute in any meaningful way. They have no business on the 2015 roster so it's time to turn them into something that even remotely could be.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 07-06-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correia may not be that hard. He is a Vet arm that did ok in the NL. Hammer is a guy that should get some serious attention.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Yankees designated Alfonso Soriano for assignment

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Whose fault is that? Get rid of both of these inane tendencies.
    There are 99 players hitting below .220 with at least 50 AB. There are 135 players with 50 AB who don't even have a positive WAR. 220 out of a possible 430 are below 0.5 WAR. There are a lot of marginal players out there. It is a problem every team has. Who's fault is it? Blame Brayce Hemmeigarn. You can't blame one person.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

Willingham missed a whole bunch of games and that hurt his HR total. He really is "hitting" .229/.377/.458 for .835 OPS and 133 OPS+ How many hitters are available out there with 133 OPS+ ?

that 5-10 is as relevant for Correia as 6-3 (his listed height), and not to mention wrong. His record is 4-10. BUT. His FIP is 4.11, which is less than his All Star year (it was 4.85) and his best since 2009. A pitcher to build your rotation around? No. But he is better than the likes of Chris Capuano (signed by the Dodgers last week) and AAAA starters to be the fifth starter in a competitive team. If someone is willing to sign Chris Capuano, they should be willing to give something for Correia. Not that hard of a sell...
    Exactly.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Why wait? If they lose out on trade possibilities because of some silly deadline they self impose, that would be bad management.....which would not surprise me after the last two offseasons.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ftfy:

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    why wait? If they lose out on trade possibilities because of some silly deadline they self impose, that would be bad management.....which would not surprise me after the last twenty offseasons.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    There are 99 players hitting below .220 with at least 50 AB. There are 135 players with 50 AB who don't even have a positive WAR. 220 out of a possible 430 are below 0.5 WAR. There are a lot of marginal players out there. It is a problem every team has. Who's fault is it? Blame Brayce Hemmeigarn. You can't blame one person.
    Absolutely, but the goal of a GM should be to reduce the number of marginal players. So not sure what you're defending here - we don't want those players. Nor should we want guys nearing 40 who aren't helping you win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast