Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Thread: Twins v Yankees, 7/5 @ 1:10pm CT

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts

Game Thread: Twins v Yankees, 7/5 @ 1:10pm CT

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 30-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing from right to left field at 15-20 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

YANKEES:
    SP, Phelps

Ellsbury CF
    Jeter SS
    McCann C
    Teixeira 1B
    Beltran DH
    Roberts 2B
    Suzuki RF
    Soriano LF
    Wheeler 3B

TWINS:
    SP, Pino

Dozier 2B
    Suzuki C
    Parmelee 1B
    Morales DH
    Willingham LF
    Arcia RF
    Plouffe 3B
    Escobar SS
    Fuld CF

----------------------------------

Brian will be up shortly with his thoughts on the matter ... hopefully the fireworks from last night aren't persisting in his head this morning.
    ---------------------------------------
    I did see fireworks last night... I'm not sure but I think they were the same fireworks I saw last year. I think they are just recycling fireworks now.

Things to Think About:

1. 4 game series -- If you lose the first two games of a 4 game series. You gotta win the next two or you will lose the series. Lose enough of those series... You start thinking about 2015. I'm thinking about 2014 and three quarters.

2. Yohan Pino -- The bloom is off the rose. He looked fantastic in his debut... Followed by hitable after that. Pino is 4 letters... $@?& is also 4 letters. I don't know why it blocked that... "Good" was the word I typed.

3. David Phelps -- He's 27 years old and from St. Louis Missouri. He played college ball with Notre Dame. It's an awesome feeling to throw a baseball with touchdown Jesus looking down on you. Over ridden with catholic guilt everytime he took the mound... He became a Yankee. Drafted by the Yankees in the 14th round of the 2008 draft. While the Yankees pursue Free Agent Pitchers... David Phelps spends his life waiting for Yankee injuries. Cashman calls him and says that Sabathia got hurt and Phelps throws a party. He is an average pitcher with average pitches.

4. Derek Jeter -- People are talking about this being the final visit to Minnesota by Derek Jeter. It also might be the last visit for Brian Roberts and Zelous Wheeler. Yet nobody is talking about them.

5. Hurricanes -- it seems early but Hurricane Arthur made things wet and windy for the Carolina outer banks. While it is not the height of hurricane season. I do think you should be prepared... Step 1... Stock up on food and water for your family for at least 3 days. Step 2... Move to Minnesota. Step 3... Sell your house on the coast.

If you follow those three steps... You should be safe this hurricane season.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 07-05-2014 at 11:48 AM.

2. These 4 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-05-2014), JB_Iowa (07-05-2014), sampleSizeOfOne (07-05-2014), Willihammer (07-05-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about those recycled fireworks things... stopped watching the city shows years ago and launch my own every year. Far better.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    5. Hurricanes -- it seems early but Hurricane Arthur made things wet and windy for the Carolina outer banks. While it is not the height of hurricane season. I do think you should be prepared... Step 1... Stock up on food and water for your family for at least 3 days. Step 2... Move to Minnesota. Step 3... Sell your house on the coast.

Yes, it does seem early, but technically it's not. Hurricane season is considered to be between June 1 and November 30. So, they pack up and move for a storm that may hit every other year. Yes, it's a big storm ... but pack up and move to a place that has tornadoes and floods and blizzards? Seems like a lot to do to trade one natural disaster for another.
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 07-05-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Not sure about those recycled fireworks things... stopped watching the city shows years ago and launch my own every year. Far better.
    And as long as you wear appropriate ear plugs and protective eye wear, a lot more fun. (I would imagine.)

Nice to see Gardenhire batting his "Gardy's pet" in Chris Parmalee in the 3 hole again and playing first base. Must be nice being the teachers pet. You get to bat third even if it is undeserved. Until we are rid of "Gardenhire" this franchise is doomed. Gardy always has teachers pet's guy's that he thinks are way better than they are, but the statistics prove otherwise. This will be long slog before Gardenhire finally resigns maybe two years from now in the final year of his deal. Why would he resign the money is too good, there is no pressure to win here and he get's to keep all of his buddy's on his coaching staff even as he empty's out the stadium in August and September. How low do they go before they even make him make a token firing?
    Last edited by jaimedude2; 07-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    another very g**d set-up, RB!

8. These 3 users like Hosken Bombo Disco's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-05-2014), USAFChief (07-05-2014), Willihammer (07-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 505 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While it is not the height of hurricane season. I do think you should be prepared... Step 1... Stock up on food and water for your family for at least 3 days. Step 2... Move to Minnesota. Step 3... Sell your house on the coast.

If there is indeed a person who is considering taking Brian's 3 steps of preparation in case of a hurricane - please PM me. I will trade my residence and living situation straight up for yours... I'll even throw in a snow blower. My only stipulation is that it has to be south of North Carolina. If your residence is a makeshift shack or a sturdy cardboard box, I am okay with that.

PS - I am hoping for a Twins victory today.

10. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer sampleSizeOfOne's Avatar
    Liked 484 Times in 309 Posts

I did see fireworks last night... I'm not sure but I think they were the same fireworks I saw last year. I think they are just recycling fireworks now.
    Good to know. I'll keep my eyes out for the recycling bins next time i set 'em off...

Do we have to wash them out first/remove labels?

12. This user likes sampleSizeOfOne's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-05-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimedude2 View Post
    Nice to see Gardenhire batting his "Gardy's pet" in Chris Parmalee in the 3 hole again and playing first base. Must be nice being the teachers pet. You get to bat third even if it is undeserved. Until we are rid of "Gardenhire" this franchise is doomed. Gardy always has teachers pet's guy's that he thinks are way better than they are, but the statistics prove otherwise. This will be long slog before Gardenhire finally resigns maybe two years from now in the final year of his deal. Why would he resign the money is too good, there is no pressure to win here and he get's to keep all of his buddy's on his coaching staff even as he empty's out the stadium in August and September. How low do they go before they even make him make a token firing?
    Given the current roster, what lineup would you have given? You obviously don't like the current lineup, so just wondering what you might have done instead.

14. These 4 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (07-05-2014), glunn (07-05-2014), snepp (07-05-2014), USAFChief (07-05-2014)

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Don't y'all have any decent hair stylists in the TC?

Smalley is desperate for help.

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Given the current roster, what lineup would you have given? You obviously don't like the current lineup, so just wondering what you might have done instead.
    Can't speak for others, but I'd like:

Knoblauch, 2b, circa 1995
    Mauer, c, circa 2009
    Puckett, cf, circa 1988
    Killebrew, 1b, circa 1969
    Mack, LF, circa 1992
    Oliva, rf, circa 1964
    Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
    Davis, DH, circa 1991
    Versailles, SS, circa 1965

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

Lets see the GD Yankees beat that team.

of course, since none of the above are available to Gardy today, Parmelee in the three hole isn't the worst decision in history.
    Last edited by USAFChief; 07-05-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

17. These 5 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (07-05-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (07-05-2014), glunn (07-05-2014), snepp (07-05-2014), Willihammer (07-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    another very g**d set-up, RB!
    ** yea!

19. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (07-05-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Mauer, c, circa 2009
    Puckett, cf, circa 1988
    Mack, LF, circa 1992
    Oliva, rf, circa 1964
    Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
    Davis, DH, circa 1991

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

Succinct as usual. You never disappoint, Chief!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 482 Times in 234 Posts

Mauer, c, circa 2009
    Puckett, cf, circa 1988
    Mack, LF, circa 1992
    Oliva, rf, circa 1964
    Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
    Davis, DH, circa 1991

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

of course, since none of the above are available to Gardy today, Parmelee in the three hole isn't the worst decision in history.
    Ron Davis as closer circa 1984 should help them out.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

22. This user likes GCTF's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (07-05-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    So, maybe I'm mostly oblivious to such things, but have we 'honored' retiring members of the opposite team before? I mean, Rivera last year and Jeter this year? Have we done this kind of thing before?

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    So, maybe I'm mostly oblivious to such things, but have we 'honored' retiring members of the opposite team before? I mean, Rivera last year and Jeter this year? Have we done this kind of thing before?
    See GCTF's post. There was much joy and celebration when Ron Davis retired.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A VATwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Mauer, c, circa 2009
    Puckett, cf, circa 1988
    Mack, LF, circa 1992
    Oliva, rf, circa 1964
    Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
    Davis, DH, circa 1991

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

Drop Gaetti, move Killebrew to 3b, and put Carew circa 1977 at 1b.

26. This user likes VATwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-05-2014)

Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    See GCTF's post. There was much joy and celebration when Ron Davis retired.
    lol ...

It seems to me that Cal Ripken had a pretty extensive farewell tour.

But so many guys just seem to end up retiring after a season ... not necessarily planned. Like Thome ... I don't think he ever had a farewell tour although he would have seemed to have merited one.

29. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-05-2014)

But this is Paul Konerko's final season.

I don't think other teams in the league have been giving him a farewell but I would hope that we see one from the Twins later in the season.

They could give him a big thorn ... cuz Paulie has definitely been one in the side of the Twins.

31. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (07-05-2014), glunn (07-05-2014)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast