Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Shawn Roof

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Shawn Roof

I'll admit I'm new to following the Twins minor-league prospects.

Can anybody fill me in on this Shawn Roof who played for New Britain today? This is the first time I've seen his name on a roster. Is he a new signing? From extended spring training?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 369 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I'll admit I'm new to following the Twins minor-league prospects.

Can anybody fill me in on this Shawn Roof who played for New Britain today? This is the first time I've seen his name on a roster. Is he a new signing? From extended spring training?
    New signing. With Dozier moving up to the Twins and Florimon moving up to Rochester, the Rock Cats are left with a middle infield of James Beresford (SS) and E. D. L. Santos (2B). That's fine, but Roof provides a backup, utility option. In his minor league career with the Tigers ('07-11), he played a lot of 2B, SS and 3B, and also some LF and RF. He was available.

If you check out tonight's Thursday Night Minor League Update, there is a little more. Not much of a hitter, no power, but solid backup option.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meanwhile, Jairo Perez and Danny Santana hang out in Fort Myers.

Roof is old.

Again, I don't get it. I don't know of a way to access this information about minor league free agents, but there has GOT to be someone under 25 who they could sign to fill that role instead. Using more at bats on players with nothing to offer . . .

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Meanwhile, Jairo Perez and Danny Santana hang out in Fort Myers.

Roof is old.

Again, I don't get it. I don't know of a way to access this information about minor league free agents, but there has GOT to be someone under 25 who they could sign to fill that role instead. Using more at bats on players with nothing to offer . . .
    You want Santana and Perez to move up and sit? Does it matter if the backup AA infielder who is never going to play is 25 or 27?

He was the Toby Gardenhire of the DET franchise. Isnt blocking anyone yet. YET.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure all the conspiracy theorists will like this... Roof is the nephew of former Rochester manager and Minnesota Twins player Phil Roof.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm sure all the conspiracy theorists will like this... Roof is the nephew of former Rochester manager and Minnesota Twins player Phil Roof.
    Nepo-Shawn

and (seriously) this is so the reason he is there. And (darn) if Toby G did not get married and retired last offseason, you know that he would be the third baseman for the Twins right now instead of Plouffe, right?
    /sarcasm

yeah this is one of those frustrating signings this season (like the Thurston signing) because the Twins gave up on prospects like Solarte and others. The more I think of it, the more I believe that the biggest problem with the Twins is having 80some year old Rantz in charge of their minor league system (and the only member of the Twins HOF who was elected while doing what he is still doing - hey someone won a game used bat for that.)

Lots of issues there
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Nepo-Shawn

yeah this is one of those frustrating signings this season (like the Thurston signing) because the Twins gave up on prospects like Solarte and others. The more I think of it, the more I believe that the biggest problem with the Twins is having 80some year old Rantz in charge of their minor league system (and the only member of the Twins HOF who was elected while doing what he is still doing - hey someone won a game used bat for that.)

Lots of issues there
    EXACTLY. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Clete Thomas and Joe Thurston again polluted Rochester's lineup tonight. This is just ridiculous to see. Neither one belongs in baseball. There have to be PROMOTIONS and signing under-25 guys to A+ or AA ball to fill in at lower levels. Wilkin Ramirez is not a AA player.