Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Evenhanded Look at Correia

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Almost every player playing poorly for the Twins is very expendable. There is no one blocking a player from being added.

There was an effort last year per Antony. There is a concept called you can't always get what you want. You can't accept that. With a limited supply of talent, what were they supposed to do? The rehash after the year showed that there were many pitchers not performing that signed FA contracts. The pitchers they did sign did about what you would expect them to do. It would not be unreasonable to think that they could discern what was a poor pitcher. I don't think it is unreasonable to think they knew they needed better starters. That left trades. Do you really think they could have packaged players together to get a significant pitcher? Their best prospects were in A ball, Arcia and Gibson coming off injury. On the major league side it was Span. Span packaged with Arcia and 1 of the other top 10 prospects might have brought back a decent pitcher. I don't think for a 2 year rental that would have went over too well.
    That is a nice theory, but most people have acknowledged that Pelfrey will probably get every possible opportunity at rotation spot next Spring, despite doing absolutely nothing to deserve it. So in practice, bad signings do in fact block potentially better players from being added to the roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    That is a nice theory, but most people have acknowledged that Pelfrey will probably get every possible opportunity at rotation spot next Spring, despite doing absolutely nothing to deserve it. So in practice, bad signings do in fact block potentially better players from being added to the roster.
    I'm puzzled by this. Who are the "most people"? Has Ryan said this? If you are referring to TD posters, I'm underwhelmed by your statement, but if Ryan/Anthony/Gardy say this it's important.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    I'm puzzled by this. Who are the "most people"? Has Ryan said this? If you are referring to TD posters, I'm underwhelmed by your statement, but if Ryan/Anthony/Gardy say this it's important.
    Yes, most people on TD.
    If you disagree, then I love your optimism and I get on my hands and knees praying that you are right.
    Sadly though, I have a feeling that when next March rolls around Pelfrey will be all but penciled in as a lock for the rotation.
    We'll hear about how his arm feels as good as it ever has, he's looked amazing in bullpen sessions, etc., etc.

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm not sure how optimistic I am. Today, not very much. But I don't think that something is certain to be true just because of some hypothetical poll of TD posters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by big dog View Post
    I'm not sure how optimistic I am. Today, not very much. But I don't think that something is certain to be true just because of some hypothetical poll of TD posters.
    I'm scanning my posts to see where I said anything was certain, and yep, it's not there. I'm quite sure i used the word "probably", and also "I have a feeling". Both, by definition, far from "certain".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Pelfrey has done nothing the last 3 years, but he has done the work in his career to deserve a shot at making the rotation.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We can talk about "no scholarships" and the "best guys make the rotation", but contracts and options are a consideration. Pelfrey is under contract next year, and because of that the Twins are going to give him a shot, if he's healthy. Meyer will have options remaining. Much like Gibson, though, if he's clearly better than the alternatives, he'll get a spot.

Senior Member All-Star
    I'm scanning my posts to see where I said anything was certain, and yep, it's not there. I'm quite sure i used the word "probably", and also "I have a feeling". Both, by definition, far from "certain".
    That's true. You only said that in practice, bad signings do in fact etc, and based that on your one example. So you called it a fact. But apparently not a certain one. Whatever.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Meyer will be 25 next year, options should not be an issue ......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Last week one of the moderators locked a thread and deemed to be an embarrassment to Twins Daily. I thought that was a bit over the top, but it's their site and they can moderate how they want.

I'll be shocked if this thread doesn't get the same treatment.

This thread is terrible.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Last week one of the moderators locked a thread and deemed to be an embarrassment to Twins Daily. I thought that was a bit over the top, but it's their site and they can moderate how they want.

I'll be shocked if this thread doesn't get the same treatment.

This thread is terrible.
    This isn't even close to the last thread that Brock closed. For the most part, it's had some great discussion. That said, I have sent private notes to those bickering. Please keep moderation discussions directed at a moderator and not publicly in threads. This is TD posting policy. Thanks.

12. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (07-07-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Please keep moderation discussions directed at a moderator and not publicly in threads. This is TD posting policy. Thanks.
    Or, amjgt, start a thread in the forum called http://www.twinsdaily.com/forumdispl...ut-MinnCentric , if you feel it needs public airing for some reason. The purpose behind the TD Comment Policy isn't to squelch discussion. It's to foster it, and side topics (like this one) in a thread don't do that.

Duly noted.

This thread was intended to be an "evenhanded look at Correia" but it quickly spun into rehashing of 20 month old free agent signing strategy discussion and unfounded assertions that Mike Pelfrey is guaranteed a spot in the rotation next spring.

I think that this forum could actually use an evenhanded look at Kevin Correia.... as what he is right now for the MN Twins, a trade chip. Not some backhanded punchline of a Minnesota front office joke.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I think that this forum could actually use an evenhanded look at Kevin Correia.... as what he is right now for the MN Twins, a trade chip. Not some backhanded punchline of a Minnesota front office joke.
    He has pitched very well lately. Unfortunately, other GMs know that it has only been "lately". It reminds me a lot of the time period before Liriano was dealt - we like to think the short term success has an impact on value but pro GMs aren't easy to fool.

If you are a contender and you knew your 5th starter could give you 6ip and 3 runs every game, you'd take that, right?

Not that he's doing that, but I'm just posing the question.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    If you are a contender and you knew your 5th starter could give you 6ip and 3 runs every game, you'd take that, right?

Not that he's doing that, but I'm just posing the question.
    Possibly, but for two months he was also awful. So if you're basically gambling on "Which Correia do I Get"....you probably don't put much on the table.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12