Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trade Likelyhoods

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With the Cubs getting another shortstop, I'd try to figure a way to get Sterlin Castro, if you look at the Twins system, its not exactly there at SS, yeah we have Santana and Polanco and some others, but all of them are flyers. Castro could be a shortstop for the next 5-6 years. I'd try to figure something out

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Um, rebuild do not feature 35 year olds......they need to rebuild.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great thread, folks.

After all of this analysis about who the Twins might trade, I am wondering if Stringer or anyone else might want to open a thread about what the Twins should be looking for in their trades. Personally, I would like to see a catcher with a high ceiling who could be ready to come up within 2 or 3 years. I like Pinto, but would like to see another strong option.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    It sets the bar for what is scarce, above average available pitching. One can hope that a lackey for a GM looks at fangraphs and thinks a big number for -ERA is a good thing. In terms of starting pitching, the Twins do not have much to sell

6. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (07-05-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Personally, I would like to see a catcher with a high ceiling who could be ready to come up within 2 or 3 years. I like Pinto, but would like to see another strong option.
    2-3 years? And you want a catcher with both D and a stick, I suspect...

Mitch Garver in the 3 year range might fit the bill. More advanced than both Pinto and Ramos were at that level, IMO. Matt Koch might fit the bill in the 2 year range, but his bat took a step back at New Britain this season. Defensively he is solid. And let's not forget the guy who used to be the top catching prospect for the Twins when Ramos was traded, was ranked as the top defensive catcher in the organization by BA a few years ago and is currently hitting .327/.397/.523 in AAA. Still cannot believe that Fryer is in the majors instead of Herrmann. Add players like Steward Turner, Brian Navaretto, Alex Swim and a 17 year old kid with a ton of potential at the DSL, named Robert Molina, and you will find that the Twins' organization is loaded with Catcher talent. Not a top 50-100 overall prospect, but loaded.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

8. These 4 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (07-05-2014), glunn (07-05-2014), jorgenswest (07-05-2014), Kwak (07-05-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    They is no reason to keep Perkins at this stage. This team is bad. They need players that will be here in 3 years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They is no reason to keep Perkins at this stage. This team is bad. They need players that will be here in 3 years.
    Perkins will be traded--when the mass of RP drafted this June emerge as Major Leaguers--or next July/Fall 2015.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    2-3 years? And you want a catcher with both D and a stick, I suspect...

Mitch Garver in the 3 year range might fit the bill. More advanced than both Pinto and Ramos were at that level, IMO. Matt Koch might fit the bill in the 2 year range, but his bat took a step back at New Britain this season. Defensively he is solid. And let's not forget the guy who used to be the top catching prospect for the Twins when Ramos was traded, was ranked as the top defensive catcher in the organization by BA a few years ago and is currently hitting .327/.397/.523 in AAA. Still cannot believe that Fryer is in the majors instead of Herrmann. Add players like Steward Turner, Brian Navaretto, Alex Swim and a 17 year old kid with a ton of potential at the DSL, named Robert Molina, and you will find that the Twins' organization is loaded with Catcher talent. Not a top 50-100 overall prospect, but loaded.
    Yes!

Still very hopeful for Pinto to turn in to a solid everyday player. I have to say when he was the #1 to close out 2013, I didn't think he played that poorly. Which is why I give pause at times this year when I hear comments about work needed, or others who might doubt him.

I am right there on the Twins catcher depth. Turner, especially if he can hit just a little to go with his defense and OK power potential, Garver might be an even better prospect. Navaretto and Swim are very young, but it appears the potential is there. Also agree Koch may be a sleeper. He's got some potential with the bat, and might make for a nice backup.

Thrylos and I are both on the Herrman bandwagon. I simply don't know why there are those who dismiss him so strongly. He's a solid athlete, much better than average compared to most catchers, and has a solid line-drive LH bat with some pop and occasional power. Baseball America certainly has said nice things in the past, as was pointed out. The only reason I can find for any negative perception is he was promoted early, didn't flash, and was thus dismissed. And honestly, I'm glad Fryer is up now instead. I believe it allows Herrman to play daily and not be yo-yo'ed like he has been the past two seasons, something I've mentioned before.

I have advocated the Twins need for a veteran corner OF with some power and RBI potential to replace Willingham next season, as well as a solid, decent fill-in CF who might slide in to a 4th OF option if/when someone else emerges. Unless we trade a prospect or two, I'm not sure we have the ammunition to get anything in trade for that corner OF. But could we find that CF this year as a trade target? Someone stuck on a roster or at AAA just waiting for that next shot?

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    At his age and with his stuff, and a good contract, I see no reason to trade Perkins at this time. Not every closer can expect to pitch as long and as well as Rivera did, obviously, but healthy, most top closers have shown the ability to pitch at a high level until 34-36. I see Perkins as an anchor for this team as it continues/completes it's rebuild over the next couple of years.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    At his age and with his stuff, and a good contract, I see no reason to trade Perkins at this time. Not every closer can expect to pitch as long and as well as Rivera did, obviously, but healthy, most top closers have shown the ability to pitch at a high level until 34-36. I see Perkins as an anchor for this team as it continues/completes it's rebuild over the next couple of years.
    A good contract is a huge plus for his trade value. I love Perk (and suspect there may be a no-trade clause in his contract?) but closers can be fickle, and you never know what a team may offer. If a team bites, there's no reason not to ship him off for an attractive return. What does that return look like? I'm not sure. I would think we might get a BA ~ 30-50 prospect if there situation were right. I may be in the minority, but I don't see Perk as a part of this rebuild's foundation
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I posted a blog in April about who i thought the twins would trade or release. I would link it but dont know how. Sometimes going back and reading that can be fun.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    At his age and with his stuff, and a good contract, I see no reason to trade Perkins at this time.
    This is a similar situation with Span, albeit Perkins is a bit older but a bit better than Span was. Span brought back a top prospect who is practically the only guy with Ace stuff in the organization (at this point, some others have potential but are not there.) Given that there are more closer candidates now, than there were CF candidates then, I think if Perkins (even in a package) can bring anything close to what Span brought, it is a total no-brainer.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Perkins can bring anything near a Span like return.

His contract was actually better before the extension. Ages 33 and 34 are not kind to relievers.

While there are all kinds of rumors about relievers, when was the last time a reliever was traded for a top prospect? Matt Capps? We need to find the GM that made that deal.

Everyone would trade Perkins for an Alex Meyer type. I think the best deal would look more like Lewis Thorpe and Michael Tonkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Because all are likely at peak value. Do what the Rays do. You cannot sell players with low value (or give them away for nothing) and expect to compete just using the draft after 4 seasons of mess. A 90+ loss team does not need Perkins. Perkins is 31+ & starting his declining phase. I doubt that Santana is anything more than a UT type of player and the Twins have many better SSs in the pipeline, starting with the gentleman who got a cup of water last week. Dozier is a good player on top of his value. He might look like a star compared to this mess of characters, but he is not. .234 batting average and about .180 IsoP. Remember Ploufe a couple seasons ago? If one can get a high return for Dozier, it is a no brainer, as far as I am concerned.

Got to sell high and cannot have untouchables in a 99+96+96+??? Team.
    Extending Perkins was a bit of a head scratcher for me. I would have traded him last year. Of course, this assumes a suitable return could have been obtained and that may not have been the case. That contract makes it harder to move him now and I agree that a closer is not high on the list of priorities for a rebuilding team.

I don't think I would let Santana go unless of course the return was great. His plate discipline surprised me. With a little more development, he might be a lead-off hitter with decent offensive producer. It comes down to just how good does the coaching staff think he will be defensively. Then again, even if he is a bench player, he is a CF/SS back-up which are the hardest positions to B/U. Plus, he can be a late inning pinch runner. Bottom line is I don't think he would fetch enough value right now that I would let him go.

Plouffe, I would let go for the right price as well. They seem quite confident Sano is going to stick at 3B. Plouffe is too slow for the OF and we have our 1B for the next 4 1/2 years. I could see keeping him until Sano is in place given the lack of depth we have a 3B.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe isn't that slow. He isn't fast, by any means. He would need to hit like a corner outfielder, but I think that might happen. I'd like to see him get some reps out there after a prospective Hammer trade.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I posted a blog in April about who i thought the twins would trade or release. I would link it but dont know how. Sometimes going back and reading that can be fun.
    Here's that blog: http://www.twinsdaily.com/entry.php/...aded-this-year

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was a different trade between the Diamondbacks and Angels this weekend that didn't get the fan fair. It was essentially a 2 for 2 swap with each player bringing back a younger version of themselves. I'd have hoped for a bit more upside on the Diamondbacks, but I suppose if we got something similar for Willingham, that would be a pretty decent corner OF prospect in AA. That would fit quite well with this team. I suppose getting a bucket of balls for KC would be fine, but I'd rather not get another 5 starter potential type guy...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 167 Times in 88 Posts
    D'Backs also had that trade with NYY, sending the Yankees Brandon McCarthy for Vidal Nuno.

I think getting a younger SP (preferably a LHP, I agree that there's not much Lefty starting pitching in the Twins' org) for Correia would be awesome. Another younger SP and/or OF prospect (someone that can play CF) for Willingham would be great. If there are teams out there willing to deal some even marginal prospects for the Twins' veterans, it would be a good move for the Twins to make right now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    There was a different trade between the Diamondbacks and Angels this weekend that didn't get the fan fair. It was essentially a 2 for 2 swap with each player bringing back a younger version of themselves. I'd have hoped for a bit more upside on the Diamondbacks, but I suppose if we got something similar for Willingham, that would be a pretty decent corner OF prospect in AA. That would fit quite well with this team. I suppose getting a bucket of balls for KC would be fine, but I'd rather not get another 5 starter potential type guy...
    Ryan's MO is generally to go after younger guys in the lower minors; the potential risk/reward is higher with those players, not to mention that teams seem more willing to part with guys lower in the system. I think he'll do the same this season, as neither Correia nor Willingham have the clout to bring back a talented high minors prospect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast