Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Rosario

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries

Eddie Rosario

Eddie Rosario was born on September 28, 1991 in Guayama, Puerto Rico. He was drafted in the 4th round (135th pick overall) of the Major league Baseball Draft in 2010 as an outfielder - mainly Centerfield.

Eddie has shown some promise in the 2 years since he has been drafted. His offense at times has been off the charts, and from what I hear he does a pretty good job in the outfield with a plus arm. With the glutton of outfield prospects the Twins Organization has, they (assumingly) proposed the idea of shifting Eddie to second base after the closing of the 2011 season, which in turn he accepted.

If Eddie can stick at second base and his offense keeps progressing throughout each level of his minor league ascension we might have a super impact player on our hands. If he is moved back to an outfield position, which is possible, don't fret as I have heard scouting information that compares his ability to that of Bobby Abreu's - please remember to think of Abreu when he was in his prime - that is pretty damn good! As we all know, scouting reports and minor league stats can often lead us to utmost disappointment. Let us keep the faith and wish Mr. Rosario a happy, healthy and successful climb to being an impact Major League Baseball Player.

I am going to keep my updates and analysis on Eddie fairly organic, without much fanfare or sabremetric work. But I will provide the necessary information to give people the opportunity to explore those kinds of questions on their own.

Move Over Miguel Sano... You might have a stage to share with...

EDDIE ROSARIO!!!

Eddie Rosario's Stats (2010-2012):

Year ▴ Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
    2010 18 Twins GULF Rk MIN 51 213 194 34 57 9 2 5 26 22 5 16 28 .294 .343 .438 .781 85 3 0 0 3 0
    2011 19 Elizabethton APPY Rk MIN 67 298 270 71 91 9 9 21 60 17 6 27 60 .337 .397 .670 1.068 181 5 0 1 0 2
    2012 20 Beloit MIDW A MIN 32 134 115 18 33 11 1 1 17 7 4 19 17 .287 .388 .426 .814 49 4 0 0 0 0

Eddie Rosario.jpg
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 05-10-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Add picture

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The improvement in plate discipline is extremely encouraging. Please share any updates you come across on his defensive adjustments to the infield.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    The improvement in plate discipline is extremely encouraging. Please share any updates you come across on his defensive adjustments to the infield.
    Yes, statistically his plate discipline has improved... let's wait a few months for a better analysis. As far as defensive adjustments... I'll see if I can dig up something... we'll see. I would have thought Rosario would be one of the most sought after prospects for this exercise of "Draft a Prospect". I am receiving him as second hand goods.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Nick, are you partaking in this adopt a prospect exercise?

Blog Entries
    In the haste of quickly putting out Eddie Rosario's Intro page, I forgot to add a few things:

Height: 6' 0"
    Weight: 170
    Bats: L
    Throws: R

Offense:
    Eddie has seemingly been struggling at the plate for the Beloit Snappers the last 10 days, Hitting at a .216 clip in 37 AB's with 3 Doubles, 1 HR, 4 RBI's and stealing no bases. Nothing to get to down about as 10 days does not mean too much in the course of full season.

Defense:
    Stat wise Eddie's numbers at 2nd base are not so good. In 25 games played at the keystone, Rosario has 8 errors in 128 chances, while turning 14 Double Plays, ending with a .938 Field Percentage. There is no reason to be concerned at this point because Eddie is in the beginning process of being converted from a CFer to a second baseman. More time will have to elapse before a proper judgement can be made. Rosario has also played 5 games in CF, making no errors in 15 chance.

Note:
    I was thinking back to the 2010 MLB draft and recollected that Eddie Rosario was the 2nd highest rated high school player of that year coming out of Puerto Rico. Only behind former All-Star Shortstop Dickie Thon's son, Dickie Thon II. Dickie II was drafted a round later because of signability issues, but was eventually lured away from college and signed with the team who selected him, the Toronto Bluejays. So far, Eddie seems to be outdoing this other fellow Puerto Rican son. Hopefully Rosario can become a decent second baseman and stick there, but whether he plays 2B or the OF once he make it to the Majors. Twins fans will be pleased with his dynamic offensive skills.

Blog Entries
    Batting
    Just as I reported last time. Eddie Rosario is still in a little bit of a hitting slump. Over the last 10 days he has hit .237 in 38 AB's, 2 Doubles, 1 HR, 2 RBI's, 3 BB, 3 SO, 2 for 4 in the SB department and an overall OPS of .661 - not the greatest, but he is very definitely keeping the K's to bare minimum and on a plus note he hit a game winning HR on May 14. For the season: against Lefties he is batting .229 in 48 AB's with 4XBH and against righties he is batting an even .300 in 110 AB's with 13 XBH. But since Rosario is a left handed batter this is no surprise at this stage of his development. His overall season stats are the following:

Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
    2012 20 Beloit MIDW A MIN 43 180 158 22 44 13 1 3 22 9 7 22 20 .278 .367 .430 .797 68 5 0 0 0 0

Defense
    Statistically there has been some improvement. His fielding % at 2B is up to .947. It was .938 the last I reported. He has played 34 games at 2B with 169 chances, 69 putouts, 91 assists, 9 Errors and he has helped turn 21 double plays. In CF, Rosarion has 0 error in 15 chances.

Til next time...

Rosario has quietly put up 19 straight error-less games. Im not big on fielding percentage due to the horrible official scoring that goes on, but he is up to .959 FPct as of today. Hopfully, he can be looked upon as a straight 2B very soon & not an experiment.
    He has outperformed the unamimous #1 prospect Miguel Sano 2 straight seasons now.
    Wonder what his national perception is
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 06-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Rosario has quietly put up 19 straight error-less games. Im not big on fielding percentage due to the horrible official scoring that goes on, but he is up to .959 FPct as of today. Hopfully, he can be looked upon as a straight 2B very soon & not an experiment.
    He has outperformed the unamimous #1 prospect Miguel Sano 2 straight seasons now.
    1. I guess all I can add is that 19 error free games must represent some level of progress and success. Although Rosario is my adopt-a-prospect, I don't get to see him play or have an insider who can give me the run down. It appears he is making good progress and hopefully soon it can be determined that it is not an experiment and the cemented plan of the future.

2. To say Rosario has outperformed Sano might be a bit exaggerated, but Rosario's hitting for a respectable Avg. and showing some power while taking some BB and not striking out too much. He definitely need to work on his ability to steal a base: 9 SB's in 19 attempts is obviously not so good.

3. I would imagine every GM in baseball is strongly aware of Rosario's rising star. Right now his national perception is probably not the highest, but I imagine that will change in the near future.

PS: I must apologize for not giving an update on Rosario more recently. It seems as I have lost track of time and as we all know life gets busy. I'll do that in the next day or 2 or sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Rosario should get more and more credibility assuming people think he can stick it at second. Sano still has a higher OPS than Rosario after a bad month or so this year though. I would assume that he should eventually hit an up swing in performance sometime soon. Rosario is more polished defensively though. Still, Rosario will be ranked higher than he is now, but it will be very difficult for Rosario to surpass Sano on national lists because of the upside. Sano has #3 hitter upside and most don't think Rosario has that. Also, Rosario is older than Sano and that should be accounted for.

Right after I posted the 19 game streak, Eddie made a throwing error in the 10th. argggghh.

Blog Entries
    Since the last time I posted an update, Rosario has been fairly hot at the plate and his defensive statistics have been improving, which in turn makes you believe his transition from OF to 2B is going swimmingly. Unfortunately as everyone probably knows - Rosario took a line-drive to the face yesterday in BP and sustained some injuries that will probably keep him out of action for a month or more. Here's hoping to a quick recovery for Eddie!

Offense:

Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
    2012 20 Beloit MIDW A MIN 62 271 239 35 70 20 1 7 40 9 10 27 38 .293 .362 .473 .834 113 10 1 0 4 1

Defense:

Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff G CG Ch PO A E DP Fld% RF/G lgCS% PO Rctch Rtz
    2012 20 Beloit MIDW A MIN 2B 48 227 97 120 10 29 .956 4.52

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Haven't been able to confirm yet, but heard he'll have surgery next week on several bones in his face.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Haven't been able to confirm yet, but heard he'll have surgery next week on several bones in his face.
    I have heard he was hit in the jaw/mouth area. Is that correct?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Tweet from FS North's Tyler Mason: #Twins GM Terry Ryan said Eddie Rosario will have surgery Tuesday to have a metal plate put in his upper lip. Out 6 weeks.

More: Rosario took a line drive to the face during batting practice w/Beloit. Ryan said Rosario's teeth were alright. Could have been much worse.

From Rhett Bollinger: #Twins were actually pretty lucky with Rosario, as he didn't lose any teeth or break his nose. Hit by liner during BP.

any word on Eddie yet....been about 5 wks since the injury & as Seth quoted TRyan, they thought 6wks.....anyone??

Rehab started today in GCL

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Batting 2nd and playing 2nd... has a hit already... I assume a couple of GCL games, but then will they send him up to Beloit... or keep him in Ft. Myers? I have to assume Beloit.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he proved enough at Beloit. Time to gain more knowledge from the better tutors at ft. Myers

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Good news, I came looking for this thread because I thought his original recovery prognosis had him expected back by next week.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Batting 2nd and playing 2nd... has a hit already... I assume a couple of GCL games, but then will they send him up to Beloit... or keep him in Ft. Myers? I have to assume Beloit.
    You're "HOPING" it's Beloit!

I think the fact the Snappers season is going to last longer than Fort Myers will play into the decision. All things being equal, he'd probably continue his rehab in Fort Myers with the Miracle... but this year, it's not equal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast