Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Official: Joe Mauer to DL, Colabello back to Twins

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,494
    Like
    156
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    While I can agree with the "you have to wait until they are ready" premise on promoting prospects, I think some times you have to be aggressive, and can't always wait until you are 100% sure they are ready.

    I doubt Baltimore was 100% sure that Machado was ready to be called up at such a young age.
    I doubt that Miami was 100% sure that Fernandez was ready to be called up.

    The same could be said for a bunch of other prospects.

    I disagree with the crowd that says, "don't call them up until they are ready to stick".
    These guys have 3 options for a reason.
    Now, with Hicks I think it might have hurt him, but in that case I think the Twins waited far too long to send him back down. But to me there is nothing wrong with promoting a guy for a month, then send him back if he's not ready.
    Remember, Mike Trout came up for a few weeks the year before his breakout rookie season, and struggled pretty badly. Clearly it didn't hurt his long term development.

  2. These 2 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jorgenswest (07-03-2014), mike wants wins (07-03-2014)

  3. #42
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,685
    Like
    2,656
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    maybe Colabello hits and generates some trade interest.
    Put yourself in the shoes of the other team's fans. How thrilled would you be to get Colabello at the cost of your team's equivalent to Danny Santana?

    And if the value Cola fetches is more like the other team's equivalent to Levi Michael (or Evan Bigley), how thrilled will you be for us? Just a blip in the big scheme of things. You don't invest major league at bats in the hope of such an outcome; you do it because you need him to fill a hole.

  4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (07-03-2014)

  5. #43
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,685
    Like
    2,656
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 2h

    • Joe Mauer said he sneezed while he was sleeping last night and his right oblique "felt like the time I did it."
    Oh boy. All of a sudden the 15-day list doesn't sound sufficient...

  6. #44
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,409
    Like
    420
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Isn't that what I said? It is that no one is ready....that's the disappointing part. I think I said that like 3 times in this thread.
    Then I misunderstood you... My apologies.

  7. #45
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,723
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    While I can agree with the "you have to wait until they are ready" premise on promoting prospects, I think some times you have to be aggressive, and can't always wait until you are 100% sure they are ready.

    I doubt Baltimore was 100% sure that Machado was ready to be called up at such a young age.
    I doubt that Miami was 100% sure that Fernandez was ready to be called up.

    The same could be said for a bunch of other prospects.

    I disagree with the crowd that says, "don't call them up until they are ready to stick".
    These guys have 3 options for a reason.
    Now, with Hicks I think it might have hurt him, but in that case I think the Twins waited far too long to send him back down. But to me there is nothing wrong with promoting a guy for a month, then send him back if he's not ready.
    Remember, Mike Trout came up for a few weeks the year before his breakout rookie season, and struggled pretty badly. Clearly it didn't hurt his long term development.
    this, is, when I say ready, I mean close to ready, but up for the next challenge
    Lighten up Francis....

  8. #46
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,621
    Like
    3,697
    Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Oh boy. All of a sudden the 15-day list doesn't sound sufficient...
    I sorta feel like 15 days is pretty much always optomistic for an oblique strain. Those things tend to linger.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  9. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    stringer bell (07-03-2014)

  10. #47
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,134
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Oh boy. All of a sudden the 15-day list doesn't sound sufficient...
    Good point. We should petition for a nose amputation now instead of waiting.

  11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    snepp (07-04-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.