Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official: Joe Mauer to DL, Colabello back to Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
    While I can agree with the "you have to wait until they are ready" premise on promoting prospects, I think some times you have to be aggressive, and can't always wait until you are 100% sure they are ready.

I doubt Baltimore was 100% sure that Machado was ready to be called up at such a young age.
    I doubt that Miami was 100% sure that Fernandez was ready to be called up.

The same could be said for a bunch of other prospects.

I disagree with the crowd that says, "don't call them up until they are ready to stick".
    These guys have 3 options for a reason.
    Now, with Hicks I think it might have hurt him, but in that case I think the Twins waited far too long to send him back down. But to me there is nothing wrong with promoting a guy for a month, then send him back if he's not ready.
    Remember, Mike Trout came up for a few weeks the year before his breakout rookie season, and struggled pretty badly. Clearly it didn't hurt his long term development.

2. These 2 users like Mr. Brooks's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (07-03-2014), mike wants wins (07-03-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    maybe Colabello hits and generates some trade interest.
    Put yourself in the shoes of the other team's fans. How thrilled would you be to get Colabello at the cost of your team's equivalent to Danny Santana?

And if the value Cola fetches is more like the other team's equivalent to Levi Michael (or Evan Bigley), how thrilled will you be for us? Just a blip in the big scheme of things. You don't invest major league at bats in the hope of such an outcome; you do it because you need him to fill a hole.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (07-03-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 2h

• Joe Mauer said he sneezed while he was sleeping last night and his right oblique "felt like the time I did it."
    Oh boy. All of a sudden the 15-day list doesn't sound sufficient...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Isn't that what I said? It is that no one is ready....that's the disappointing part. I think I said that like 3 times in this thread.
    Then I misunderstood you... My apologies.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
    While I can agree with the "you have to wait until they are ready" premise on promoting prospects, I think some times you have to be aggressive, and can't always wait until you are 100% sure they are ready.

I doubt Baltimore was 100% sure that Machado was ready to be called up at such a young age.
    I doubt that Miami was 100% sure that Fernandez was ready to be called up.

The same could be said for a bunch of other prospects.

I disagree with the crowd that says, "don't call them up until they are ready to stick".
    These guys have 3 options for a reason.
    Now, with Hicks I think it might have hurt him, but in that case I think the Twins waited far too long to send him back down. But to me there is nothing wrong with promoting a guy for a month, then send him back if he's not ready.
    Remember, Mike Trout came up for a few weeks the year before his breakout rookie season, and struggled pretty badly. Clearly it didn't hurt his long term development.
    this, is, when I say ready, I mean close to ready, but up for the next challenge
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I sorta feel like 15 days is pretty much always optomistic for an oblique strain. Those things tend to linger.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (07-03-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Good point. We should petition for a nose amputation now instead of waiting.

11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (07-04-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123