Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official: Joe Mauer to DL, Colabello back to Twins

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mauer DLed; Colabello is back....

Just announced by the Twins. How has Colabello been doing lately? Parmelee/Colabello platoon at 1B, dare I hope?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Official: Joe Mauer to DL, Colabello back to Twins

The Twins announced moments ago that Joe Mauer has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Chris Colabello is back with the Twins.

Mauer has been hitting well of late. He is currently on an 11-game hitting streak during which he is hitting .364/.404/.477 with five doubles and 10 RBI.

Colabello has been hot for the last month in Rochester. After yesterday's 2-home run game, he has hit .318/.392/.561 (.952) with eight doubles, 6 homers and 25 RBI in his last 29 games with the Red Wings.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ugh. Where are the actual prospects? Just not exciting at all.

4. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Winston Smith (07-02-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *shakes head in disbelief*

This team is so damned unlucky. The moment Mauer gets it going, he goes down.

6. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (07-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Well you could look at it as the moment Colabello gets it going there's a spot open for him!

Not that I look at it that way.

8. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Seth Stohs (07-02-2014)

Now he will for sure finish the season with more RBI than Mauer! http://www.sportsfriendsmn.com/2014/...n-of-mack.html

So true about th unlucky part. Plus, he mentions been hurting for a few weeks. ugh!!

Although a bit unlucky for the Twins I look at this as a positive for the Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The Twins announced moments ago that Joe Mauer has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Chris Colabello is back with the Twins.

Mauer has been hitting well of late. He is currently on an 11-game hitting streak during which he is hitting .364/.404/.477 with five doubles and 10 RBI.

Colabello has been hot for the last month in Rochester. After yesterday's 2-home run game, he has hit .318/.392/.561 (.952) with eight doubles, 6 homers and 25 RBI in his last 29 games with the Red Wings.
    As long as Gardenhire plays Collabello at first base or DH every day while Joe M is out, there is a legitimate time to feature Collabello as someone that may interest other teams. Perhaps with Joe Mauer out, the Twins get lucky and Collabello finds his stroke back at the plate at the MLB level. Being Collabello is an offensive guy, perhaps if he plays well enough at the plate he will entice another team to give up something of a prospect for him at the deadline. The incentive is there for the player too, if he does well he may get a shot with another team and is not going to be blocked at first base.
    This means a player or asset that is not likely part of the Twins long term plans, has an opportunity to showcase his talents to another MLB club that is scouting the Twins. As long as Gardenhire plays this hand correctly and plugs Collabello in at first base or DH we might actually benefit from this. Really I doubt that Morales and Collabello are part of the Twins future as far as long term planning so if both play a lot and play well maybe we garner some decent trade prospects back for them and both those players end up on pennant contending teams.
    The key is the manager Gardenhire putting both guy's in spots they can shine so that we get something back for them in trade.
    Last edited by jaimedude2; 07-02-2014 at 10:41 AM.

12. This user likes jaimedude2's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Winston Smith (07-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vargas has been slumping, maybe Colabello can go on a surge again.

I do appreciate the quick DL this time, the oblique is almost always a guaranteed 15 days.

I guess Parms doesn't have to play CF to get in the lineup either.
    Last edited by TKGuy; 07-02-2014 at 11:04 AM.

14. This user likes TKGuy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (07-03-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    I do appreciate the quick DL this time, the oblique is almost always a guaranteed 15 days.
    This. After years of wishy-washy DL actions, this is a welcome sight.

16. These 4 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (07-02-2014), Mr. Brooks (07-02-2014), Sconnie (07-02-2014), twinsnorth49 (07-02-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Agree.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimedude2 View Post
    As long as Gardenhire plays Collabello at first base or DH every day while Joe M is out, there is a legitimate time to feature Collabello as someone that may interest other teams. Perhaps with Joe Mauer out, the Twins get lucky and Collabello finds his stroke back at the plate at the MLB level. Being Collabello is an offensive guy, perhaps if he plays well enough at the plate he will entice another team to give up something of a prospect for him at the deadline. The incentive is there for the player too, if he does well he may get a shot with another team and is not going to be blocked at first base.
    This means a player or asset that is not likely part of the Twins long term plans, has an opportunity to showcase his talents to another MLB club that is scouting the Twins. As long as Gardenhire plays this hand correctly and plugs Collabello in at first base or DH we might actually benefit from this. Really I doubt that Morales and Collabello are part of the Twins future as far as long term planning so if both play a lot and play well maybe we garner some decent trade prospects back for them and both those players end up on pennant contending teams.
    The key is the manager Gardenhire putting both guy's in spots they can shine so that we get something back for them in trade.
    What is the difference between Morales and Colabello? One is a major league DH and the other one is a career minor leaguer. I can't see any way that Colabello will make himself a tradable asset in the time Mauer is on the DL. There's a chance he could become a candidate to stay on the team the rest of the year and maybe figure in the plans next year, but no one is going to trade for Colabello with his resumé.

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    So do you just dismiss any possible developmental problems by promoting prospects too soon? Does that problem not exist in your mind? Of all the times to complain about prospects not getting brought up, this seems a sheepishly small one.
    It was more an indictment of how uninspiring their options are, than of the logic of the move. Is anyone actually excited by this new shiny toy?

The Astros have promoted 4 legit starters to the majors this year, including two that could be star types.....the Twins have new MLBPers, Santana, Pino, and Tonkin this year. Just isn't exciting at all. (not counting Polanco, since that was an emergency, and he's back in A ball, proving they don't think he's close to ready)

Was a general lament, not a specific one.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Agreed. It's bad that I'm surprised to hear he went to the DL just one day after an injury.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins could have been like the Astros if Saño and Buxton hadn't been injured, Rosario hadn't been suspended and a couple of veteran pitchers hadn't been signed.

22. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mike Frasier Law (07-03-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The Twins could have been like the Astros if Saño and Buxton hadn't been injured, Rosario hadn't been suspended and a couple of veteran pitchers hadn't been signed.

It has been a bad year for progress, yes. That post is about emotion, not logic......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The moment Mauer gets it going, he goes down.
    To be fair, I am not sure Mauer really had it going yet. He had similar streaks earlier this year too that didn't last, and they all seemed to feature too many Ks and not enough BBs and power to be classic, sustainable Mauer.

Not that I wanted to see him out of the lineup now, though!

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts

I don't know, according to Pythagorean W/L, the Twins are exactly as lucky as they should be.

Context is important... as a Twins fan, when something like this happens, they appear to be unlucky if you don't also follow all the other teams.

You know who's really unlucky? The Rangers.

26. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (07-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It was more an indictment of how uninspiring their options are, than of the logic of the move. Is anyone actually excited by this new shiny toy?

The Astros have promoted 4 legit starters to the majors this year, including two that could be star types.....the Twins have new MLBPers, Santana, Pino, and Tonkin this year. Just isn't exciting at all. (not counting Polanco, since that was an emergency, and he's back in A ball, proving they don't think he's close to ready)

Was a general lament, not a specific one.
    1. It isn't bad to give Colabello a chance to start hitting again. If he does, he is a solid fill-in for the time being.
    2. The other options, Vargas and maybe Danny Ortiz (Parm to first, Ortiz to OF), probably were considered, but neither deemed ready.
    3. I pretty much always agree with you about prospect movements, but this case is pretty borderline, and maybe Colabello hits and generates some trade interest. Or he hits and the Twins feel comfortable keeping him around and trading Parmelee a bit later.
    4. Unexciting promotions to MLB, yes . . . mainly because of injury though (Sano, Buxton, May) or up and down performance (Meyer). And Polanco should be headed to AA quite soon.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I don't know, according to Pythagorean W/L, the Twins are exactly as lucky as they should be.

Context is important... as a Twins fan, when something like this happens, they appear to be unlucky if you don't also follow all the other teams.

You know who's really unlucky? The Rangers.
    Buxton. Sano. I'm not only talking about the MLB team. The organization has had a pretty unlucky year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast