Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: Twins sign Ynoa for $800k

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A lot of you seem to assuming that many international signings work out. I don't believe that is really true. I expect the Yankees and others assume that an international draft will be instituted so the most they will loss will be 2 top thirty picks. I expect a draft maybe agreed upon but may not be instituted for 2 years. That will mean that the teams that followed the rules will be able to sign free agents for the next two years without competition from the Yankees or other teams that ignored the limits this year.

More importantly, unless this is truly an unusual year, very few of the expensive signings will actually contribute to the major league team. The odds are against international signings, really. Part of the reason the Twins are heavily involved, is that it is relatively inexpensive, and if you do find impact players, the return will greatly outweigh the investment. I am not so sure that the Twins will really favor a draft. Their method of scouting and investing in 2nd tier international signings, has brought a lot of interesting prospects to the Twins over the last few years. How many will be top major league players remains to be seen, but at least there are a number of intriguing prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SD Buhr View Post
    Reading the McDaniel article pretty much confirms what I half-suspected; that one reason the Yankees were willing to shoot the moon this year is that they think an international draft will be implemented, negating the two years of penalties they would otherwise be subjected to.

IF baseball does adopt an international draft and they don't find some way to enforce the back end of penalties for what the Yankees are doing, it will simply confirm that MLB is being run under the philosophy that whatever is good for the Yankees is good for baseball. But then we've all pretty much known that's been the case under Selig all along.
    Could you elaborate on this please? I am intrigued.

Liked 3,173 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The Yankees are breaking the rules. It cheats others. They're dishonest, immoral, cheating wealthy people.
    Regardless if that's true or not, complaining about it accomplishes nothing. I wish the Twins had adopted a similar strategy.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm convinced more than ever the Yankees strategy is a terrible one. If you're going to ignore the bonus pool, do it in the draft. The likelihood of missing on an 18-year-old is high, but it's exponentially higher on a 16-year-old. The best international players haven't been the ones that have gotten the huge bonuses... sure, the Yankees probably get a couple of major leaguers out of this, but I'd be absolutely shocked if we looked back at this seven years from now and say, "Man, the Yankees really fooled the rest of the league." This isn't like they got 10 first round draft picks.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm convinced more than ever the Yankees strategy is a terrible one. If you're going to ignore the bonus pool, do it in the draft. The likelihood of missing on an 18-year-old is high, but it's exponentially higher on a 16-year-old. The best international players haven't been the ones that have gotten the huge bonuses... sure, the Yankees probably get a couple of major leaguers out of this, but I'd be absolutely shocked if we looked back at this seven years from now and say, "Man, the Yankees really fooled the rest of the league." This isn't like they got 10 first round draft picks.
    Yankee's don't wait for them to become Major Leaguers, they trade these guys off while their value is high, for Major Leaguers. The Yankees are obtaining capital, which is important because less premium talent is making it to free agency, so the A's right now have an advantage over the Yankees, one the Yankees plan to by pass with money.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Jeremy on this. I believe the strategy is really quite poor. First of all you have the initial cost. The Yankees have said they are willing to spend 30 million on draft picks. With the penalties that means that they will spend nearly 60 million total if I understand it that the thirty million was for signing picks and not penalties. Next all these players have to be on the 40 man in 5 years. If not hey are exposed to rule 5. In my opinion there is a huge risk here where the yankees could have just sunk 60 million for a shot in the darknand a prayer

i think your argument is refuting itself. why would a team overspend in the draft and lose picks if those were more valuable? by increasing the number of chances in the international signing lottery, you're increasing the odds of hitting on one and you have the pick of all the top talent to do so, whereas in the draft you'd be working with a limited pool of marginally signable guys after your first pick. the yankees are spot on.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    If you have the money, and you care more about winning than adding to your billionaire pile of money, how is the Yankee strategy bad, as it relates to money? They will still sign free agent major league players. The money is not an issue for them.

Who here has once said we think these guys usually work out? No one has. The question is, do higher ranked guys work out more often than low ones.......and as I said, I don't think that data is out there yet.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Each year there's around 20-40 International FA signings per team and 40 rounds in the June Rule IV Draft. The June Rule IV has more players who make MLB, however, the WAR for the international FA's have higher frequency of 30+ WAR careers.*

*Based on taking top 100 BA prospects since they started making the list. They have how they were acquired.

You're looking at under 5-10% success rate (makes an appearance in MLB) overall.

But exactness of Int. FA's that make MLB or have 30+ WAR per season per club...I haven't found a data set that would enable that sort of metric.

But if you sign one Miguel Sano and you flop for 3 straight years of $15M (way over pool)...so $45M would you consider it a success to have spent $45M to acquire a hitter who hit 30-35 HR each year?
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 07-07-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Regardless if that's true or not, complaining about it accomplishes nothing. I wish the Twins had adopted a similar strategy.
    In my opinion, Chief, if more people took the proper ethical stance and complained about it, perhaps something gets accomplished.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    In my opinion, Chief, if more people took the proper ethical stance and complained about it, perhaps something gets accomplished.
    It might be unethical, but I have not decided if it is or not.......but I'd concede that it might be.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    The best international players haven't been the ones that have gotten the huge bonuses...
    Well, the Twins cheaped out on Miguel Cabrera... he's pretty good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456